BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
@Stephen Fortune, post #13 >
If you need to brake hard in a crisis situation, do you grab the brake and break the lever for a few bucks from AiExpress/Banggodd - and take out someone who got in front of your heavy K16? I don't think you could stop it with just the rear brake. Worst case scenario, you kill someone? Then you could have 10 spare sets of cheap levers in the trunk. On the other hand, who last read their insurance policy after an accident? I don't exactly have to be an insurance agent to know, from the nature of things, that insurance companies all over the world behave the same way and have a number of clear exclusions from coverage. So if I wreck my bike (@ injure someone, permanently disable???) due to a cracked brake lever for a few dollars not approved by the manufacturer (equates to an unapproved modification to the vehicle in Europe and therefore an exclusion from the policy), I get nothing at all from the policy and will be paying for maybe the rest of my life. I'll probably never get out of this mental troubles.
Why am I writing this? Two years ago a very similar case happened and the guilty party was not going to pay. Neither did the insurance company. Banggood (the manufacturer) laughed everyone off from the position that if someone pays a few dollars for a set of pedals, they must know the quality is somehow low and installed it at their own risk. The victim's lawyer had a metallurgical analysis done on the broken brake pedal for a few bucks from Banggood (Racing like Alu casting from China, Ford Mustang Bullit Edition) and found it to be total junk. Strength tests? All mud. The Alu casting was full of bubbles and non-Alu debris - so the mold was probably full of sand. If it's worth it to someone, go for it. Especially in the US, where you can claim millions of dollars in compensation for a broken tooth on a KFC chicken, and after all, in Europe too. Personally (I know my insurance policy very well, plus I wouldn't pass a technical inspection with this product here).

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I heard that the OEM levers are designed to break if the bike is dropped, to avoid damage to the master cylinders - anyone confirm this?

I see the ones in the OP have a pivot with would serve the same purpose, and be reset without needing replacement.
because it's a type called breaking levers.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,970 Posts
Over here critical aftermarket parts need a certification called 'ABE' which translates to 'General approval for use' which requires testing and certification like helmets,brake lines, mirrors, windshields, handle bars and what not . Levers are considered critical equipment for a reason and need a certification, which costs money and time, which the Chinese make a quick buck and run businesses avoid like the plague.
The bike manufacturer is exempt from these regulations but has to certify the entire bike through a separate process that produces a CoC approval (Certificate of Conformity). If I use any aftermarket items, I will only use certified equipment.

·
Registered
2013 BMW K1600GT-P in Montego Blue
382 Posts
I have these saved on my wishlist...I was gonna get the blue ones to match the bike color....I might actually buy them now. Was it a PITA to swap?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have used similar aftermarket leavers on several of my other bikes. Nicely made, CNC machined parts, made from aluminum plate. Not the cheap, cast parts on many OEM ones (I haven't checked the K1600s to see if they are cast). The adjuster I find works better than many OEM ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Knock-offs would insinuate that they are a copy of something. They're not. These appear to be VERY solid and well made. I am very confident they won't break under heavy use. What exactly is "heavy use" for a simple lever? In the US there are no aftermarket certifications required for such products.
hello please help i bought the same levers but it seem these new ones only have 1 pin hole and my stocks ones have 2 holes for mounting the plunger for the brake cylinder so i ordered another set thinking they were wrong but got the same ones any ideas? thx for your help

·
Mr.Fix It
8,706 Posts
There was a change in the levers around ‘14/‘15. You may have the wrong ones.

Duane

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are '19 B clutch & brake levers & master cylinders any different from the GT/GTL models?

·
Registered
2013 BMW K1600GT-P in Montego Blue
382 Posts
I'm gonna get these...anyone have the patching colored grips?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put Pazzo racing shorty levers on my GTL. These are made in canada and high quality. They look like machined art work. Adjustable reach.
Musical instrument Sleeve Wood Tool String instrument

Automotive design Font Motor vehicle Audio equipment Graphics

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
After seeing the post above about the Synto levers I checked the Spiegler site and see they also make them for the B which I''ve placed an order for, so thank you @Xkneedragger for posting the info.

Also, I called Spiegler to confirm (and answer my own question in post #31 about the lever only) if the M/Y '17-'20 GT/GTL levers would fit the M/Y '17-'20 GA/B model as well, and they're the same manufacturers part#'s.

For anyone interested in buying the B levers be aware that on Spieler's site it shows M/Y '17 & '18 only, but the fitment is for M/Y '17-'20 per manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
After seeing the post above about the Synto levers I checked the Spiegler site and see they also make them for the B which I''ve placed an order for, so thank you @Xkneedragger for posting the info.

Also, I called Spiegler to confirm (and answer my own question in post #31 about the lever only) if the GT/GTL levers would fit the B model as well, and they're the same manufacturers part#'s so they all fit the K1600, regardless.

For anyone interested in buying the B levers be aware that on Spieler's site it shows M/Y '17 & '18 only, but the fitment is for M/Y '17-'20.
FYI, the Synto levers come with two pairs of end pieces, long and short... I use the shorties on the brake lever and the long one on the clutch. And you can order the levers and the adjusters in various colors...

·
Registered
297 Posts
FYI, the Synto levers come with two pairs of end pieces, long and short... I use the shorties on the brake lever and the long one on the clutch. And you can order the levers and the adjusters in various colors...
Yes, I'm aware of the 3 options. I'm glad you brought the different clutch & brake lengths to my attention being I just placed my order. I'm assuming you use the short brake lever for 2 fingers, which is my intention, and now that I think of it I might want to have 4 finger on the clutch lever...is this your reasoning? If so, it is a very good reason.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Yes, I'm aware of the 3 options. I'm glad you brought the different clutch & brake lengths to my attention being I just placed my order. I'm assuming you use the short brake lever for 2 fingers, which is my intention, and now that I think of it I might want to have 4 finger on the clutch lever...is this your reasoning? If so, it is a very good reason.
That's exactly why I configured mine that way...

·
Mr.Fix It
8,706 Posts

Also, I called Spiegler to confirm (and answer my own question in post #31 about the lever only) if the GT/GTL levers would fit the B model as well, and they're the same manufacturers part#'s so they all fit the K1600, regardless.

For anyone interested in buying the B levers be aware that on Spieler's site it shows M/Y '17 & '18 only, but the fitment is for M/Y '17-'20 per manufacturer.
Those levers don't fit all K1600. The levers changed around '13-'14.

Duane

21 - 40 of 69 Posts