BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the stock windshield on my 19 bagger. It seems that the most popular and effective ones are either the Aeroflow or the 7 Jurock. While the stock windshield looks great on the bagger, I'm 6'1" and it just doesn't cut it for wind noise and buffet.

I just bought my bagger so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Lots of windshield options out there and lots of people have their faves on here. I waited until I had my Russell Day Long seat made and then went after the windshield in hopes of getting a better fit. On the GTL, I think the consensus is the stock one is decent for the rider but when it comes to the passenger, it isn't offering any protection.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of windshield options out there and lots of people have their faves on here. I waited until I had my Russell Day Long seat made and then went after the windshield in hopes of getting a better fit. On the GTL, I think the consensus is the stock one is decent for the rider but when it comes to the passenger, it isn't offering any protection.
Good advice, I might be doing a seat as well.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Good advice, I might be doing a seat as well.
I had started with the BMW "High" seat. I had Russell move it up and back a bit (I'm 6' 3"). When I was at Russell, they just happened to have a K1600 seat and put it on my bike so I could ride around until the lunch time check. That seat was one of the short ones and I was amazed at how short it was! So, your relative position to the screen height can change quite a bit if you start messing around with seats.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I've had quite a few BMW's and have tried a bunch of screens. I've settled on the large touring model V-Stream for my K16GT. I'm 6'2" and my bike has a RDL seat

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had quite a few BMW's and have tried a bunch of screens. I've settled on the large touring model V-Stream for my K16GT. I'm 6'2" and my bike has a RDL seat
I can't speak to the V-Stream on a K1600 (yet), but I had one on my R1200RT and it was amazing - outstanding wind/air management and superb clarity, compared to stock. I've got one on order for my GTL, and it should be here in the next day or so. I'll post a review/report as soon as it arrives and the weather cooperates!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The original owner of my bike had a 7Jurock on it when I bought it. It was way to tall for me. I replaced it with a medium Aeroflow. Looks and works much better for me. I'm 5'8" and the bike has the low seat on it.

I think the 7Jurock was a 19", but I would have to measure it again to be sure. It's in a box up in storage.

Zach

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Deleted my comment. Didn't want to high-jack someone's post with a spur of the moment windscreen for sale comment when OP is on a B and I'm on a GT.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have two wind shields for my gtl a 7 jurock and a cal sci both are the extra wide version I bought them both too tall and cut them down to were I liked them now I love them both one for summer and one for cooler weather.As far as wind protection is concerned width is just as important as height if not more so_On the jurock I cut it back so the curvature is almost gone I can see thru it without distortion so nice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't speak to the V-Stream on a K1600 (yet), but I had one on my R1200RT and it was amazing - outstanding wind/air management and superb clarity, compared to stock. I've got one on order for my GTL, and it should be here in the next day or so. I'll post a review/report as soon as it arrives and the weather cooperates!
OK, the V-Stream arrived, is installed, and has seen some (brief) action!

Just like with my R1200RT, the V-Stream is exponentially better than the stock screen. I got the standard version (I'm short) and it's about an inch lower than the stock screen and 'feels' quite a bit wider than the stock screen (it's not). I get a much better view over the top of the screen in its lowest position, and still get good wind protection - better than stock. I can feel the wind hitting the top of my helmet, so good for ventilation if/when it warms up here, but not so much that it shakes my head around or gets noisy. If I raise the screen up only a couple inches, I can be completely protected.

The clarity is spectacular - there is virtually no distortion around the edges, and only a bit of distortion where the screen mounts to the bike. There is quite a bend in the contour/profile of the screen around the mounting point, but it's not somewhere you'd be looking through very often - if at all...

The biggest change seems to be a BIG reduction of the wind buffeting around the sides. With the stock screen, I got significant side to side buffeting whenever I was behind a vehicle larger than a mid-size pick up, at speeds over 70 km/h (~45 mph). With the V-Stream, it's been minimized significantly. I can still feel it, but it's no-where near as bad.

I haven't been able to convince the wife to put on all her heated gear to go for a ride with it, yet, so I can't report how well it manages airflow for passengers.

All in all, I am extremely happy with it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original owner of my bike had a 7Jurock on it when I bought it. It was way to tall for me. I replaced it with a medium Aeroflow. Looks and works much better for me. I'm 5'8" and the bike has the low seat on it.

I think the 7Jurock was a 19", but I would have to measure it again to be sure. It's in a box up in storage.

Zach
I might be interested in your 19" 7 Jurock if your looking to sell it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a 19 bagger with the tall bmw seat, with the seat bracket flipped in the high position.
I'm 6'2 and finally fairly comfortable.
I went with the aeroflow extra tall, big improvement over stock.
In hindsight I wish I went two x tall.
By the way, love your bike collection!
Gary

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone know the torx/star key size to remove the windshield for the k1600b?

I’ve gotta buy torx key set, don’t have one yet. (Yes, total do-it-yourself newb, thanks for understanding).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking to replace the stock windshield on my 19 bagger.
Did you order a screen yet? I swapped the stock screen with the x-tall Aeroflow (I'm 6'6" and also have the RDL seat) shortly after picking up my '18 GTL. Since then I've been looking for something a little wider. This thread and forum led me to the 7Jurock... which just got delivered yesterday, installed, and test rode last night. BIG difference. Very high quality and it's what I've been looking for. Knowing what I know now from riding them both and if given a choice, I'd go with the 7Jurock over the Aeroflow.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts