BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
That leads to my other comments.

This is much the same as the oil threads on such forums, and I'm not keen on getting into the direction that they typically go, so I'll rather bow out now - I have no skin in this game, I chose not to use K&N air filters, so not attempting to swing it either way, just tried to add thoughts to consider for others when making their choice.
I wasn’t trying to offend, as I don’t have any skin in the game either. Just having a discussion. I’m pretty ambivalent about K&N’s. There likely isn’t much harm, and there probably isn’t a whole lot of gain either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My best friend on the planet builds race engines for NASCAR's Cup Series and has for a lot of years. He's raced nearly everything that moves on land or water. He is more knowledgeable about engines than anyone I've ever known. He won't use a K&N filter on anything he owns. Race teams don't use them either. Their engines used to be completely rebuilt after every race. With rule changes rebuilds have been extended. If a race team won't use a certain filter on a $100,000 engine, there has to be a reason why. The reason is, to flow more air, there has to be less restriction of the airflow. Less restriction of the airflow means that the filter has less dense filter media. The less dense filter media allows more contaminants into the engine. Engines don't respond well to that. I'm not likely to change anyone's mind. We all use what we believe in, swear by it. I'm passing along information that was given to me. Free of charge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a K&N in my old K75s with no ill effect. I put a K&N in my Ute in the hope to improve the performance/consumption while towing the caravan, after approx 4,000ks the engine went into reduced power mode, the reason was that the mass air flow sensor was gummed up with sticky pink goo from the air filter, the auto tech said they had seen the same thing a number of times before. I have gone back to a paper element. No lecture here, this is just an experience I had.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I don't look for ways to throw my money away, nor am I a tightwad. I just bought a BMW air filter. I'm not going to worry about it and I'll spend the few extra dollars every 12,000 miles.

·
Soupa Mod
2,578 Posts
I had a K&N in my old K75s with no ill effect. I put a K&N in my Ute in the hope to improve the performance/consumption while towing the caravan, after approx 4,000ks the engine went into reduced power mode, the reason was that the mass air flow sensor was gummed up with sticky pink goo from the air filter, the auto tech said they had seen the same thing a number of times before. I have gone back to a paper element. No lecture here, this is just an experience I had.
This is a known issue but to be fair to K&N it is a poor cleaning and re-oiling that causes it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts