BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody tell me where the temp sensor is? The dealer took the tupperware off and now I get no temp reading. I guess he forgot to plug in the sensor.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
On the '12 it's on the right hand side, just under plastic that covers fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BMWGUY wins. It was in the air intake on the left side. Removing the right side tupperware was not wasted, however. I discovered that the Powerlet plug was not connected, also. I don't use that one since I added a dedicated plug for my heated gear and the tankbag is powered, too.
Thanks to all who played!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
A word to the dealer is in order, they failed to reassemble the bike to an acceptable standard, what confidence do you get

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
That is the kind of work I would expect from my dealer. Sad.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Every service the very last thing said by BMW is plug in and run diagnostic, they can't have done that as the Temp would have reported open circuit. I would suggest the bike would use those values to adjust mix

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
On the '12 it's on the right hand side, just under plastic that covers fuel tank.
On all K1600's it should be on the left hand side in the air intake.
On my '11 GT it is on the left hand side; on GRB60's '12 GTL it is on the left hand side; according to the service manual it is on the left hand side.
Are you sure you are talking about the air temp sensor?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
On all K1600's it should be on the left hand side in the air intake.
On my '11 GT it is on the left hand side; on GRB60's '12 GTL it is on the left hand side; according to the service manual it is on the left hand side.
Are you sure you are talking about the air temp sensor?
Right when you face the bike, left when you sit on it

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
I'm obviously wrong about the placement... Last time I messed with the Temp Sensor is when I installed a Booster Plug. I would have sworn it was on the right...

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
I'm obviously wrong about the placement... Last time I messed with the Temp Sensor is when I installed a Booster Plug. I would have sworn it was on the right...
That's the indicator fluid refill spout on the right side...

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
The Booster plug does get plugged into the right side of the bike somewhere around the air cleaner. The air sensor is just above the horn and a little farther back. The probe part is in the air flow to the air horn. I do know that if the plug that you plug the Booster Plug is left unplugged the bike will still run.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Greg,

This is the only air temp sensor I am aware of. Under the tupperware on the right hand side as you're sitting on the bike.

Good Luck
OK, I'll bite guys. So what's this that's located on the rider's right hand side? (as shown in the BMW maintenance lit?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sensor pictured above is the temp sensor that, I think, works to adjust air/fuel mixture. I imagine that is downstream of the air filter box before the throttle body under the tank.

I was able to find the ambient air temp sensor on the fiche photos but there is not enough detail to give you any idea where it actually is located.

Part number 7 is the combustion air temp sensor. 13 is the ambient air temperature sensor for the cockpit display. In any case, there are two temp sensors noted on the fiche.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
The sensor pictured above is the temp sensor that, I think, works to adjust air/fuel mixture. I imagine that is downstream of the air filter box before the throttle body under the tank.

I was able to find the ambient air temp sensor on the fiche photos but there is not enough detail to give you any idea where it actually is located.

Part number 7 is the combustion air temp sensor. 13 is the ambient air temperature sensor for the cockpit display. In any case, there are two temp sensors noted on the fiche.

Many thanks Greg for the clarification.
I was wondering what I had previously connected my booster plug to.
Live & learn

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
The left side sensor is easily dislodged while handling/installing the tupperware.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts