BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in the new leather RDL offers which simulates the saddle brown leather seat available on the Option 719 color schemes, here is a pair of photos to compare. Jay was able to embroider the GT logo, albeit in a different font, in the face of the pillion seat. I also went with the stitched diamond pattern.

They also offer a couple of vinyls that are very similar to the original color if anyone is interested in that. I asked Jay to send my some samples of all my options, which he gladly did. I really like the look of the original seats, so I opted to purchase used seat pans so I could keep my them for rides around town or day rides under 500 miles.

I ride with the stock seat in the high position, and likely the RDL in the low, fwiw.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
... I really like the look of the original seats, so I opted to purchase used seat pans so I could keep my them for rides around town or day rides under 500 miles.
Smart move. If I ever get tired of the stock seat on my GTL (the OEM high seat) I'll probably do the same. I haven't done any long trips yet.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Smart move. If I ever get tired of the stock seat on my GTL (the OEM high seat) I'll probably do the same. I haven't done any long trips yet.
I guarantee once you do a trip of over 4 hours, you'll understand why we all buy RDL seats!

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I rode 850 miles yesterday on the way to the TTD. Like sitting in my living room drinking coffee (all except for there are no semis in my living room). Thank you, RDL!

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Welp, I may have to buy one, esp. if he'll do one in "sport" configuration, but likely even if not.

Even though I've been one of those who've been on record as saying the RDL is probably the best seat by far, but it's also far too ugly, yours is NOT ugly, and it's downright beautiful compared to the look of most RDLs, in my entirely subjective opinion. And since I had my color matched topcase backrest done in the 719 brown color, too, I'm kinda bound to the brown seat look.

Just like you, J-Luv, I'd never get rid of the stocker, as I love the look, and I'd keep it on for shorter rides of a few hundred miles, and it is surprisingly comfortable, BUT it's no seat to travel cross-country or take a vacation on, either.

I was leaning toward a custom-covered Sargent, but even the sport RDL has more width, so I may have to source a stock pan from somewhere else and go for it.

EDIT: Just looked at your pics again. It keeps looking better to me, and the GT logo looks nice. How offended would you be if I got one very, er, similar to it? :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EDIT: Just looked at your pics again. It keeps looking better to me, and the GT logo looks nice. How offended would you be if I got one very, er, similar to it? :grin:
I’ll let you slide if you buy me some of those forged wheels. :grin:

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Not a fan of the brown leather at all. However the RDL seat does look like the usual high quality product they are known for. Not to mention that they took the time to emboss the letters into the leather like the OEM seat. Great work!

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should send the Topbox back rest in to be covered to match your beautiful seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Considered it. For us, it was just the right amount of brown...not too much, not too little. RT is gorgeous too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't need another Bike but you have me thinking of buying that Blue Planet R1250RT with that beautiful Cognac seat. My local dealer had one a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
For those interested in the new leather RDL offers which simulates the saddle brown leather seat available on the Option 719 color schemes, here is a pair of photos to compare. Jay was able to embroider the GT logo, albeit in a different font, in the face of the pillion seat. I also went with the stitched diamond pattern.

They also offer a couple of vinyls that are very similar to the original color if anyone is interested in that. I asked Jay to send my some samples of all my options, which he gladly did. I really like the look of the original seats, so I opted to purchase used seat pans so I could keep my them for rides around town or day rides under 500 miles.

I ride with the stock seat in the high position, and likely the RDL in the low, fwiw.
Did you send your seat in for the upgrade or do a ride-in appointment?

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you send your seat in for the upgrade or do a ride-in appointment?
I purchased a pair of seats with heat (front and rear seats) from a forum member, had him ship them sight unseen directly to RDL to save some postage, and had the seats re-done there without a ride-in appt. This way I also retain my stock saddles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts