BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Bubonic
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I do not like this at all. If I wanted a Harley, I would go get a Harley or blow the dust off the couple in the garage. I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me and it disapoints me because it feels like BMW trying to be Harley. I understand marketing and branding and expanding but it just looks contrived to me.

Maybe somebody wants a Harley but better?

Interesting to see from concept to production...

So, am I in the minority? Is this something any of you will rush out and get?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
As an update to the 1930's R5 its impressive, but i'm not really into that style of bike.

I bet it'll be a big seller though when on sale next year.

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really like it, I don't want one but I do like the stripped back minimalist look. Good luck to BMW and good on em' for trying, I hope it sells well.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I was thinking it before I read what @Johnnybow had written. Lots of folks don't like the B or GA...for various reasons. My sense is that they wonder why BMW would take their touted sport tour platform and reduce it to a sport-bagger. Assumption is because they wanted to sell more bikes in the american market and Americans buy a lot of bagger styled bikes. And lots of folks like the ergos of the bagger. It flowed from the Roland Sands one-off concept 101. There are a couple of the R9T bikes that appeal to me stylistically, but ergonomically no freakin way. There is something about this bike that I like. I guess it's the minimalist style. Not quite steam punk but not far from it. Would I buy? Nope, not unless I was just collecting motorized artwork. Bikes are often beautiful to look at...I mean, who wants an ugly bike no matter how fun? Well, maybe, but not at BMW prices. But the true beauty of a bike is like a good woman; the cosmetic surface may fade and sag, but the heart inside, and what she does to make your heart thump, that's the one to keep. I don't see my heart thumping for miles and miles on this thing. It would turn heads pulling into the parking lot for tacos on a Saturday afternoon, though.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I don't think BMW is trying to be Harley. They're just trying to sell motorcycles. A lot of folks in this country have partaken of the Harley Kool-Aid and think the only motorcycle available is a cruiser/bagger style. They recognized the BMW brand as an upscale brand and see that a bagger is available. The consumer doesn't have to wear Harley crap and they get their cruiser bike.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do not like this at all. If I wanted a Harley, I would go get a Harley or blow the dust off the couple in the garage. I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me and it disapoints me because it feels like BMW trying to be Harley. I understand marketing and branding and expanding but it just looks contrived to me.
Thanks.
I don't know if you're in the minority, but I agree with you.

I came from Harley's. I gravitated to BMW because they were much more about function than image. But I can't fault BMW for doing what they can to increase market share. As long as they just nibble at the fringes with bikes like the B, GA, and possibly now with this R18, I'll stay a BMW fan.

·
Outta This World
1,741 Posts
Its okay, you would have to really want that look. But then I feel the same way about a lot of bikes. If someone gave me one of those other bikes I wouldn't ride it that much but it would look nice in the collection. There is however a long list of other things I gotta have (like a GS) that I would use before I would even consider buying one of these.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have always liked the look of a bobber for nothing more than show and cruising around town. But really, something would have to be done with the engine in this one. It is monstrous. The size and protrusion of the cylinders in this BMW engine takes away from the look of the rest of the bike. A nice KTM V-Twin would look good in there (are you listening KTM?:)). I do like the reversed brake and clutch levers, those are cool. And I think the Goldwing still has the title for largest production motorcycle with a boxer engine at 1833cc. Maybe he meant largest two cylinder boxer engine?

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,338 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeB-JB6nwdY Maybe somebody wants a Harley but better?

So, am I in the minority? Is this something any of you will rush out and get?
Rush? No. But after my initial, kneejerk, "what the heck are they doing" reaction, it makes sense. Their first cruiser (forget the alpha-numeric designation) was beautiful, but underpowered. The bikes didn't sell, and they got snake-bit. Fast-forward to the B/GA. No, they're not really cruisers in the American sense, but we can dip our toe a bit and make it LOOK a little bit like one without spending all the R&D on an actual, traditional cruiser. That way, we'll see if the concept is compatible with BMW. The B/GA sold, and viola', here we are.

This bike, to compete, had to have similar displacement to H-D/Indian, vibrate with a bit of potato potato, and be air cooled. So who IS "the guy" or gal who'll buy it? Someone who wants a H-D, but can't stand the "lifestyle" or social stigma, so much so that s/he wants a similar to better-quality bike, but farther removed from H-D than Indian. A bike to give a middle finger to Harley convention, and be subject to insults from them, but "Look at your cheap rice burner" won't be one of them.

Rush out and buy one myself? No. Never as a 1st bike. I do want one, eventually; I can see myself buying one as a 2d or 3rd bike to ride around town and take short trips on, after it's been around long enough to have the teething pains worked out, and then that year model be a couple of years old with low miles on it so I can buy used.

We'll see if I'm right, but I predict they'll sell a ton.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Never. I am a motorcycle rider. I don't want a prop to play some pretend Marlon Brando wanna-be with the neighborhood barflies. But some people do. That's why there are all kinds of rides.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think it looks good, but it's not for me. I bought the B because of the performance AND looks. The B is capable enough in the twisties (regardless of naysayers) and looks good doing it. I can say without a doubt the B is PLENTY capable of pushing a hard riding ST 1300 owner through Scott road( a wild local hilly, twisty road that my B is airborne over the tops. A mini Isle of Man kinda). Plus I can spend 10 hours on the B. If the B only had looks I wouldn't own one. This bike LOOKS to me to do neither. Plus it has the boxer engine which is not my first choice, or second choice, or third choice but it does look nice. For a bar hopper it would be kinda cool I guess but that's not my thing personally. BMW can't go too wrong trying to please different people, and if they do the market will let them know anyway. A very close friend of mine wants a new Indian bad, and for his riding style it will work for him. It would never work for me but that's okay, it's not my money or my way to enjoy a ride.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,196 Posts
Don't like it, but like it that it will be on the road.

·
1,338 Posts
Watching the video made the second time today I thought to myself: "What jugs!" (Paraphrasing Gene Wilder's character in Young Frankenstein)
Monty Python: "She's got huuuuuuge (hands gesturing expansively at chest level) tracts of land." :grin:

·
1,338 Posts
Don't like it, but like it that it will be on the road.
This kinda goes along with my thoughts of why I'd like one, but ONLY if I could get a good deal used, and if it was a 2nd or 3rd bike, never a primary ride. To me, it's rolling art, and of the kind that says, "You don't have to embrace looking like a 1%-er or enter the pirate lifestyle to enjoy a cruiser."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts