BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the editor's page in the ON magazine last night, just skimming thru. Not sure if rumor, hoax, or truth. He commented that BMW had purchased a controlling interest in Harley-Davidson.........

Anybody know anything?

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you imagine? But it would be good to have a dealer closer than 280 miles. Could get all my parts and service from one store. I can only hope....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Even if true, I doubt they would combine dealerships or merge the brands, engineering, or manufacturing. At least, I hope not. Not that I'd care about the dealerships, but I wouldn't want a BMW/HD hybrid bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I could swear I remember reading a post on another forum 8-10 years ago with a very similar store. I think at the end of the post it read, Official Announcement after March 31.

I think it's an April Fools joke.

Zach

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Roland,
That was an April fools joke. Actually John Deere bought controlling interest in H-D :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:LOL:---saw a Green & Yellow Fat Boy once....not a good look.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
The Beemer shop in Grand Junction was inside the HD store. Had to walk by lots and lots and lots of t-shirts and other branded items to find the 5 t-shirts and 3 hoodies offered in rear located BMW counter. I like a good April Fool's joke though!

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
The Beemer shop in Grand Junction was inside the HD store. Had to walk by lots and lots and lots of t-shirts and other branded items to find the 5 t-shirts and 3 hoodies offered in rear located BMW counter. I like a good April Fool's joke though!
And the chits about it now is they are going back to combining their service departments.
They used to be together and I wasnt the only one who complained about it. Then they separated it and it seemed good (though they still forgot to put a front fender on and scratched wheels after a tire change) I rather liked not having to deal with the guys at the other end of the store but now I hear they put the head service manager for BMW in charge of the entire service dept. We could be back to square one.

I had to have some work done on my XR and it was all done at the BMW side of the store. Now I have to talk with a parts guy at one end of the store and the service manager for the entire dealership at the other end of the building. Used to be their desks were 25’ apart in the BMW showroom.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Dillon Brothers in Omaha: one building for Harley Davidson, one building for Indian, and one building for multiple brands to include Honda, KTM, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki and Triumph. Maybe they will add a fourth building for BMW at some point...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah I read that and looked at the Stock Value and forcast and wondered what they saw.
Dealer network or not same joke ran about Circa 2012

Ian

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I'll admit I glanced at the article, then flipped to the cover, confirmed it was the April issue, and didn't bother to read it...but then I'm paid to be suspicious, cynical and distrustful.

But if you love BMW, and believe that usually, even if they aren't warm and fuzzy, they're smart, you have to know that they're smarter than to buy a huge interest in H-D. And that holds true if, like me, you desperately want H-D to succeed as a historic American company, without regard to whether you'd ever buy one of their bikes. They have to find a new customer as their base dies off, and that most in that base is PO'd they're trying to sell anything other than the traditional bikes. BMW is trying to expand sales, and expansion is always risky. Letting the American customer know the brand has gone to the Germans wouldn't seem like a good move for either BMW or H-D as they try to move forward.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Just for poops and giggles, I had to check and see how many Boss Hosses were available on CycleTrader. The answer was 21, but that's not important. The LOCATION of those bikes are, however. One bike was available in OR, and one was in MO, but the other 19 were 1-each in AL, FL, GA, LA, OK and SC, and...wait for it...13 in Texas.

In a real and very literal historical sense, I know TN birthed TX and so to a certain extent, I'm goring my own ox, but if anyone in a marketing class ever needed a lesson on how to market to Texan males (Do we really think any of these is owned by a female? Possible, but gotta be 1/1,000,000.), welp, this is it.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Just for poops and giggles, I had to check and see how many Boss Hosses were available on CycleTrader. The answer was 21, but that's not important. The LOCATION of those bikes are, however. One bike was available in OR, and one was in MO, but the other 19 were 1-each in AL, FL, GA, LA, OK and SC, and...wait for it...13 in Texas.

In a real and very literal historical sense, I know TN birthed TX and so to a certain extent, I'm goring my own ox, but if anyone in a marketing class ever needed a lesson on how to market to Texan males (Do we really think any of these is owned by a female? Possible, but gotta be 1/1,000,000.), welp, this is it.
Lol.. a friend used to work at a company that issued take down notices to websites that were hosting pirated music. The data they got went down to the IP level which of course means that they knew who was actually doing the downloads. One day one of the marketing consultants was looking over the stats from the database and asked 'has anyone thought about marketing to those folks instead of punishing them' and a whole new business was born.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Lol.. a friend used to work at a company that issued take down notices to websites that were hosting pirated music. The data they got went down to the IP level which of course means that they knew who was actually doing the downloads. One day one of the marketing consultants was looking over the stats from the database and asked 'has anyone thought about marketing to those folks instead of punishing them' and a whole new business was born.
That is some neat tech history! I still recall when one of my secretaries who was a facebook friend got pregnant, the AdChoices software which was buying FB's data, obviously, started including maternity clothing in among my traditional, manly-man, targeted ads, like Motorcycle stuff, guns, ammo, military surplus, and the like. Just to make myself feel better, I sent AdChoices an email and told them their software was a teensy bit off base. 😁

And I really think if it hadn't been for the economic downturn, if Boss Hoss had played their cards right, they could have kept selling V-8s in cruisers until the bubble burst, if they didn't try to expand too quickly. Owners would get mobbed at Sturgis and Daytona, so it was like instant fame and popularity. Among a certain demographic, "biggest" and "most powerful" will ALWAYS sell, even if the product doesn't work very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts