BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had lusted over this bike when it was on my dealers showroom. 2019 K16GT option 719, blue planet. Next to the black/glacier sport, the option 719 is my favorite color. Pictures never seem to do it justice, but it's amazing in the sun.

Anyway, when it sold I had some lament for not pursuing it. Low and behold I stop at my dealer to see what the latest is on my XR getting new brakes to replace the Hayes, and there is the option 719 K16. The owner sold it back to the dealer with only 800 miles on it after a minor drop that damaged a bag, and lower fairing. They are in the process of replacing the damaged bits. Evidently, it was too heavy for him, so he decided to go back to a Harley.

I don't want to imagine the financial carnage the owner suffered, but the bike probably has about $5K in farkles on it. Then my dealer says, "how about your bike and $3K ish"?

It's tempting considering I'd probably sell most of the farkles. Just when I thought I might be ready for something lighter they pull at my heart strings.

·
Flying Dutchman
121 Posts
"Evidently, it was too heavy for him, so he decided to go back to a Harley", that is funny :ROFLMAO:

You don't get many second chances in life, so go with your heart and buy this GT, it is meant to be yours (karma)! ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Evidently, it was too heavy for him, so he decided to go back to a Harley", that is funny :ROFLMAO:

You don't get many second chances in life, so go with your heart and buy this GT, it is meant to be yours (karma)! ;)
I found it funny as well. I guess the lower seat height on the Harley was the deciding factor for him. His loss may be my gain if the damage can be repaired to my satisfaction.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,565 Posts
Reactions: AZK1600GTL

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Stirring the pot, eh? :)
Errrrr.... Just a little ;)

It's been a journey following his process. I was blindsided by the pretty GT being thrown into the mix. BUT, if the 719 GT satisfies his checklist boxes, by all means. We only go around once.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Errrrr.... Just a little ;)

It's been a journey following his process. I was blindsided by the pretty GT being thrown into the mix. BUT, if the 719 GT satisfies his checklist boxes, by all means. We only go around once.
Journey is a good word for it. I thought I was committed, and last week I took my wife on a great trip out to Borrego, and was reminded of the things I like about my GT.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Journey is a good word for it. I thought I was committed, and last week I took my wife on a great trip out to Borrego, and was reminded of the things I like about my GT.
All kidding aside, sometimes it's a ride like you described that helps clarify things. Not all decisions are a straight line process. I'm as guilty as anyone for going around in circles. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Evidently, it was too heavy for him, so he decided to go back to a Harley.
The Harley being lighter is funny. As for the dealer, how about your bike and $1500 and see where you end up. Good luck with the decision.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I intend to hold onto my GTL for a while, but the new RT is really pulling at me. I have been intending to get the new GSA to park next to the other bikes, but I took a step back when the RT was introduced. But the GSA's newest revision with the dynamic headlight and TFT has also gotten my attention...

First world problems I suppose... I need to win the lottery

·
Q
5,372 Posts
Ohh that Blue Planet 719..

Mmmm... That bass boat sparkly paint and those sexy forged wheels 😍🤩

You should adopt..

Hope this helps.. 😎

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went and looked it over. The right bag, right lower, mirror and right side engine case all have minor scuffs. Dealer is ordering new parts to replace the scuffed bits.

However, the engine case scuff, though very minor and hardly noticeable presents a different challenge. The dealer isn't sure they have a resource to touch up the engine.

Any suggestions? The engine is black, and I believe it's powder coat.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,565 Posts
Powder coat is difficult to repair. Your problem is that you know where the problem is. Easiest fix is to get over it. Did that a few times when I messed something up on my bikes............Delivery time for 719 parts could be lengthy, but winter is here anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Powder coat is difficult to repair. Your problem is that you know where the problem is. Easiest fix is to get over it. Did that a few times when I messed something up on my bikes............Delivery time for 719 parts could be lengthy, but winter is here anyway.
I love deals like the one in front of you. I ride my bikes and scuffs and scratches happen as VK said get over it. You are probably the only one who would notice but it gives you the advantage when negotiating price. Something like " I really like the bike but that scuff I am having a hard time getting over it" and see where they go. Now if you are the type that a scuff will drive you mad then run because you will never get over it. When I bought my B at the very beginning of the pandemic 3 months in and I still couldn't get my bike I called and asked for my deposit back they lowered the price $2,000 dollars to get me to wait. The margins that BMW dealers make on bikes are good they have room. If they think it will sit and you don't have to have it you might be able to get a screaming deal. I myself would be salivating at the chance to negotiate your deal but I made a living on commission sales for a large part of my career and I love making deals all most as much as riding. May the Force help you make the right decision.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may take it to a local powder coat place just to see if there is anything they can do. It's not bad, I only noticed when I got in close for a look.

Here is a list of farkles it comes with:

2019 K16GT Option 719 - 800 miles on the odo, balance of factory warranty from July 2020

BMW Akra exhaust
Sargent seat w/ backrest & brown stock seat
Vstream windshield
Color matched trunk w/brake light
Bar Risers

At $21K it seems like a pretty good deal considering all the add ons. They are setting it aside for me to make a final decision after the repairs are done. I think we still have some room to negotiate.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
You could try the air dry Cerakote to match the black

·
Registered
100 Posts
hi it's just a thought this bike has been on it's right side and as this is the case
i would have some concerns there is a breather pipe that comes from the gearbox into the air box
when the bike down is on its this pipe fills up with oil and it can run into the airbox?
this can be checked by checking the drain tube behind the left hand engine cover
if that has oil coming out after you remove the stopper WALK AWAY

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Agree with ViennaK...adopt the scuffs as your own...get over it and buy it.

Reactions: Prince
1 - 20 of 30 Posts