BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the harness that was in another thread and it works great. I'm having problems paring everything to the bike. Here's a list of what I want to pair and what I'd like to accomplish.

Sena 20's
Sena SM10
iPhone X

I'd like to run my Spotify App from the phone. I use the GPS and cell feature of the NAV VI all the time. I also use Sirius sat radio that's on the bike. Any help from ANYONE would be greatly appreciated.

ThANKS

VIC

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I paired the iPhone first to the Sena, as it's my primary connection.

Then I paired the BMW to the Sena.

I did not bother with pairing the iPhone to the Nav VI as I have the iPhone mounted on the bars and can see who's calling (not that I ever answer). Keeps the number of connections down.

With this setup, I can hear the Garmin Nav VI just fine through the BMW to Sena connection, which is the same one used for SiriusXM.

Spotify, phone calls, Waze, Google Maps, etc, all use the iPhone to Sena connection.

Haven't bothered with the SMH10 but have it handy if ever needed.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I'm paired using a Sena headset and an SM10. I have a thumb drive in the right compartment that is loaded with audio books for the long straight shots to get to the fun stuff. I have an X grab mounted between the handle bars and ran a 3.5 mm cord from the AUX 3.5mm port of the right compartment of the bike up to the handle bars. This way I can plug the 3.5 mm cord into my phone and listen to Spotify through my phone when I select AUX. I also have a charging port up in handle bar area so I can charge the phone when needed.
This year I decided to try Spotify as I got tired of Sirius and their crappy format. Being able to just switch between USB and AUX offers me choices of music or books without having to switch out the thumb drive. It's awkward reaching down there to swap thumb drives out at speed. Kidding. It's a two handed operation and you're not supposed to let go of the handle bars with both hands. I got that directly from the mother ship.

I have very simple BT connections. SM10 and phone paired to my Sena headset along with multipairing a BT walkie talkie which is only used on just a few rides a year. This setup has been very reliable in connecting with around 4 times out of a ton of times I would have to shut off the head set and turn it back on. At the first of the year I did try pairing my phone to the Nav and then Nav to the headset but chose to go back to my original way. Anytime I used the Nav to look something up or look ahead on my route it would interrupt the audio book (just as the gun was pointed at our hero with pressure on the trigger tightening) and it wasn't near as reliable when pairing at the beginning of a ride. Now the reliability could have been me not doing the right sequence but my original way doesn't care what I turn on first. I like simple. I don't use the audio turn commands so it's easy for me to keep it in this simple format.

·
Registered
58 Posts
By harness, I assume you mean the connection to the output of the Alpine stereo box under the seat? I used the Autocom harness that splices between the output and the speakers, with a switch that allows throughput to speakers or to a 3.5mm jack plug.

Mine is permanently switched to the jack plug output, which goes into the SM10 on the handlebars.

As for pairing, the phone is paired to the SMH10 as a headset, and the SM10 is paired to the SMH10 as A2DP.
That enables you to answer your phone but then uses the BMW controls/satnav/MP3/iPod as if they were playing through the speakers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still can't get the damm thing to work properly. I can't hear the Spotify app through the phone to my headset. I sync my Sena SM 10, then I sync the Sena 20's to the bike then the phone also to the bike. UGGGGGG still nothing.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I still can't get the damm thing to work properly. I can't hear the Spotify app through the phone to my headset. I sync my Sena SM 10, then I sync the Sena 20's to the bike then the phone also to the bike. UGGGGGG still nothing.
Why the SM10? Are you running a radar detector?

While I have a Nav VI I don't pair it in the system as it doesn't work for me either. For some reason even paired to my phone it doesn't show any details on incoming calls.

I pair my phone to Phone 1 on the Sena 20s and use navigation on it when needed. I pair my SM10 to phone 2. (I believe)

Spotify works flawlessly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why the SM10? Are you running a radar detector?

While I have a Nav VI I don't pair it in the system as it doesn't work for me either. For some reason even paired to my phone it doesn't show any details on incoming calls.

I pair my phone to Phone 1 on the Sena 20s and use navigation on it when needed. I pair my SM10 to phone 2. (I believe)

Spotify works flawlessly.
I installed the harness that was in another thread and it works great. I'm having problems paring everything to the bike. Here's a list of what I want to pair and what I'd like to accomplish.

Sena 20's
Sena SM10
iPhone X

I'd like to run my Spotify App from the phone. I use the GPS and cell feature of the NAV VI all the time. I also use Sirius sat radio that's on the bike.

With the harness I'm able to control the volume of my 20's using the wizwheel. I'd like to also listen to Spotify.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Does the Nav 6 only send sound (turn by turn) through the BMW by system when in the OEM cradle on the bike? I can pair it to my 30K or Packtalk B but get no audio from it. Sorry if this has been asked/answered a thousand times!

I'm trying to leave the BMW system out of things completely

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Why are you pairing your iPhone X to the BMW? Do you mean pairing the iPhone X to the GPS unit? I don't even bother with that as the iPhone is mounted on the bars and I can see who's calling directly on the phone. One less connection to cause trouble.

Regarding the setup process, the iPhone is paired FIRST to the Sena as phone 1. I want it to have priority over everything.

Then the Sena (helmet) is paired to the BMW bluetooth as helmet 1 using phone 2 on the Sena.

That's all I use.

The Sena SM10 would be paired third in line as one of the remaining pairing options to the helmet. I'm guessing the GPS pairing option. But, that depends on how you're using the SM10.

Give Sena a call to discuss. They've been very helpful in explaining what each type of pairing does, pros and cons.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I paired the iPhone first to the Sena, as it's my primary connection.

Then I paired the BMW to the Sena.

I did not bother with pairing the iPhone to the Nav VI as I have the iPhone mounted on the bars and can see who's calling (not that I ever answer). Keeps the number of connections down.

With this setup, I can hear the Garmin Nav VI just fine through the BMW to Sena connection, which is the same one used for SiriusXM.

Here's a question ... to hear your Nav with this setup, mustn't you have your stereo on? I don't have this setup, but I seem to remember trying it and losing the Nav's audio as soon as I turned the stereo off. Most likely I was overlooking something...

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I played with this and if the Bike's audio is off then I don't hear the Nav instructions. I use the "line in" for Nav audio when I don't want to hear music, but hear the Nav. If there is something else I would to hear about it also.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi fellows,
I would like to pair my phone (Samsung Note9), to listen Spotify playlist through out the Alpine system of my 2015 k1600GTL-E. Anyone know if that is possible?
tks

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Hi fellows,
I would like to pair my phone (Samsung Note9), to listen Spotify playlist through out the Alpine system of my 2015 k1600GTL-E. Anyone know if that is possible?
tks
Possible, yes. Simple, not really.

To get your phone to play through the Alpine unit, you have to connect it to the Aux input in the right cubby. The problem with that is that there is no way your phone will fit in that cubby. Even if it did, you probably wouldn't want to due to the heat.

Instead you have two options.

The first is to run an audio and USB cable from that space to wherever you mount the phone. The Audio cable, of course, carries the sound. The USB provides both power to the phone and control of the phone (next/previous) and, I believe, some amount of data to be shown on the dash display.

The other option is to use one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W3L9WF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It serves mostly the same purpose but is a bluetooth receiver that your phone will connect to over bluetooth. It then transfers the sound to the Aux input in the lower right cubby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts