BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may find my way up in the Bull Shoals / Eureka Springs / southern MO area this wknd for some leaf peeping. I know there are no bad roads between them, but is there one or more that just really stand out? That I shouldn't miss?

I can read a map :) but thought I'd pick some personal-experience brains too

-

·
Registered
777 Posts
Where is @KCMOSteve he showed me a really, really tighter corner road East of Dog Patch one year. I'm looking now and don't see it but I swear it was. Hwy 130-131, or something. I'll find out. Really anything around Fort Lenardwood and south is great.

·
Steve's Brother
6,259 Posts
I just texted Steve

·
Registered
777 Posts
SHA--BAM!!! He texted me back :) HWY 123. From Jasper take 74 east and then catch 123 south. ride it all the way to 7hwy.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
123, aka the AR Dragon, IS outstanding! Awesome piece of road that one, thanks. I've hit it several times ... and will prob do it again just because of the fun factor.

The MO peel ferry suggestion is intriguing. That's kind of what I'm looking for ... something different :)

I do like those 3 digit roads though ;)

-

·
Registered
334 Posts
There's also the Pig Trail, assuming you haven't been on that one yet.

If you did the AR-123 trail North to South, then you could make your way over to Clarksville, catch I40 to Ozark and then ride the Pig Trail, AR-23 North to St. Paul.

Here's a link: Arkansas Pig Trail - Arkansas 23 in Arkansas | Arkansas Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Here's another site that shows different POIs in the area, and it looks to be interactive and maybe editable. at this page, click the "view map" just to the right of the text:
https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/14617028

There's also some "castles" in the area. Here's one up in the Eureka Springs area. It shows like a venue for rent, but it also has a restaurant and lodge:
https://www.castleroguesmanoratbeaver.com/

Jeff

Reactions: BionicDan

·
Jim's Brother
2,771 Posts
Peel's Ferry is on Hwy 125 and north of the ferry is a blast! The Butler map of the Ozarks is a must have for the region of Southern Missouri and the Northern half of Arkansas. BUT, as an example, it shows sections of Hwy 7 in Arkansas as a top notch road but unless you hit it very early in the morning it's plugged with very slow traffic. In other words, some of the roads are marked as great bike runs but the slow traffic patterns aren't factored in so it can be a learning curve when finding the fun stuff in that area but it's worth the effort!

One thing that's really fun about that area is you can set up a basecamp/ hotel and spend 3 or 4 days running different loops, move and repeat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One thing that's really fun about that area is you can set up a basecamp/ hotel and spend 3 or 4 days running different loops, move and repeat.
+1

We based ourselves out of Harrison and it was just about perfect. Good roads in every direction. Add 341 South of Mountain Home and AR 9 from Allison to Melbourne to your list.

Edit - AR 123 headed North out of Hagarville was unexpectedly nice, too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Highway 7 south out of Harrison, and from the Peel ferry north of Harrison up 125.
Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Check out 215 from Cass to Oark.

Find 21 leading into Boxley Valley early in the morning. Elk this time of year. Take 74 out to Jasper. If low gap is open, eat!
I could give you so many more but push mountain is good recommend....

Reactions: RightD

·
Registered
291 Posts
We rode MO 76 east from Branson to some of the "double letter" roads (some of them are very narrow, but all paved and twisty). Took 125 south to peel ferry. 125 is kinda banked like a race track through the turns, I forgot how much I loved that road. Little traffic today, Monday morning, we were behind only one car all day. Other than a little wind, it was a great ride. Check out Billygails Cafe west of town if you want a good breakfast.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Just be careful on these roads, the state has been repaving several of these roads over the late part of summer and may still be working on them. Watch for the loose gravel signs as they basically oil the roads and put in chip seal and when its done, its like riding on ball bearings for a while. The pig trail is good to go, and 7 is good. I don't know about 123 though, as it had been done about a month or so ago and have not been that way in a while.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Highly recommend the Pigs Trail. While you’re there, have a look in Turner Bend gas/convenience store and pick up sticker, tee shirt, etc. It’s a great place to take a break.

If you like the oddities, go to the Cresent Hotel in Eureka Springs. Legend has it’s haunted. If you decide to ride to the hotel from the main strip (south Main Street), be prepared for a really steep uphill ride. Did I mention it was steep? An easy way to get to the Cresent Hotel is to go from west van buren and take the side streets in. There is a decent pizza restaurant at that hotel called Skytop Pizza. Let me tell you, it’s in the sky all right.

While in Eureka, hit up the Rockin Pig, good food, drink and surprisingly good pizza. Then there’s the Cathouse Lounge restaurant/bar. Nice place to hang out on the main strip (south Main Street).

If you want to have breakfast in Eureka, the Filling Station on east van buren is the place to go. Good prices, good service, friendly folks, I ate there almost everyday.

Eureka Springs is a really nice town nestled up in the hills with awesome roads all around it.

If you go there, you’ll want to go back. Enjoy your ride!

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Wife and I were just there in Eureka Springs for the weekend last month sometime. In addition to the Filling Station, we enjoyed breakfast at Nibbles Eatery and the Mud Street Cafe. Filling Station is all american cafe. Good stuff. The other two have a little twist or two and had more caffeine options if you like more than drip brew.

I think someone on this forum ought to plan a weekend event down that way!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts