BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new here and still trying to find my way around. I have been away from touring for about 10 years and I have the itch bad to buy something and start riding again. I had a Honda ST1300 in the past but she is long gone, and in perusing the classifieds I came across a one-owner 2014 BMW K1600 GTL with 7200 miles on it. It is priced well and the pictures are great. Planning on doing a 3-1/2 hour road trip each way to take a look at it tomorrow. Other than the fact that they are pretty, I really don't know anything about them. Do any of you guys have any thoughts on the subject? Any concerns for this year?

Thanks for your help!

·
Q
5,478 Posts
Personally, 14 was a good year. Mine has been a great bike. Its also for sale here in the classifieds with lots of extras.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can’t comment on your situation. There are tons of youtube reviews of the K bikes, K bikes vs other options, the best sport tourers ranked, etc. I suggest you spend time reading and watching reviews and other‘s impressions. Most folks on here love their K. But some wouldn’t ride a bagger or GTL or GT...they’d only purchase the version they prefer/own. They’re not so subtly different to most riders. I’d say if you fall in love with the K, the motor/suspension/options, then ride them all and see what fits you and your style of riding or riding ergonomics. Lots of former Honda ST riders on here. Some on GTs and some on GTLs or B/GAs. If you don’t love the K, I’d suggest that there are other options available at a lower price point and from manufacturers that have an abundance of dealerships...something BMW cannot boast. It’s a big heavy bike when it isn’t under power. Lighter options exist. It’s a fabulous machine, but not for everyone. I hope you find a bike you love and ride the heck out of it.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,824 Posts
'14 is a good year. But I'd have a PPI done by the local dealer to include checking for trouble codes. A PPI is money well spent and I always require one before buying a vehicle used without a warranty. Should run you around $50-$75. Just tell the owner if there's nothing wrong you'll pay for the PPI, if something significant is discovered then he will pay...

Duane

·
KBiK
1,849 Posts
Hi @Winged_STer - see my comment on the ST-Owners forum. Hope to welcome you to a new ride!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Aluminum siding, maybe?

I'd get the 1600.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
If you liked your ST1300 you’ll love the GTL. I and many others came off of ST1300s. Surprisingly they both weigh within 20lbs of each other.

More torque and horsepower which is nice when riding double.
Cruise Control, on board music and built in (but removable) GPS, heated seats and hand grips.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The only reason NOT to buy one is if you don’t like awesomeness between your legs. Otherwise, proceed.

Seriously, the bike has its foibles as they all do, and some members here have had an ungodly amount of reliability problems with their bikes, but I would totally do it again, it’s a great platform overall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 2016 GTL with low miles a week ago. I didn't know much about the K1600’s, and since have come to learn it’s a great bike!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have owned two ST1100's ('91 and '99) and coincidentally two K1600's! (2013 GTL and a 2019 B). No unusual problems although they are complicated vehicles and you need to stay on top of maintenance. The valve checks are on the spendy side but there is a lot of plastic to remove. Longevity of the rear tire is not that great. Smooth, fast, comfortable after minor tweaking to fit.. I have suburban machine peg lowerers, Helibar handlebar, and akrapovic slip ons for looks.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have a 14 K16GT and it's been great for both running back and forth to work and long hauls of up to 750 miles a day with a pillion on back. I wouldn't trade it without a lot of thought.

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Registered
2013 BMW K1600GT in Montego Blue
335 Posts
This was a HUGE upgrade from my ST13 and saddened Honda didn't make a bike below the GW as an ST13 replacement. Looks like you are looking at a GTL, I prefer my GT for seating position (more aggressive) BUT the GTL is a better choice for 2-up if that is something you do often and for longer periods. I thought my GT was going to be mostly a solo commuter but now I do more 2-up (maybe a GTL would have been better). The B/GA, IMO, is like a whole new bike in looks, handling and purpose. If you prefer that style, go for it, but it's not going to act the same as the other two versions.

Don't get too excited about the on bike audio system or BT....set the bar low, go with in helmet audio instead. Do most of you MX, get the RL Super Plug for oil changes, you'll save time, anxiety, and possible damage. Check and change oil often, wash out the radiator often soon to avoid higher engine temps. If you are going to have the bike for a long time/miles, get a GS911 or phone app version for diagnostics/resetting codes. Like most bikes, they are money pits, chose upgrade wisely and buy used from the site of other places...I've spent way too much money on farkles already.

If you are unsure what bike you prefer, ride each. Not buying the bike that is the best riding position for you will have you trying to "fix" it later and spend way too much money on seats, pegs, lowering links, ect... I don't know how tall you are but if you are shorter like me (5' 9" or less), there are some things you can do to make it easier to be close to flat footed. On Comfort/2-up setting I can 60% be flat footed. On Sport/1-up I can get flat footed. This is sliding all the way forward on the seat. There is no magic bullet for this, if the bike is way too tall for you (tippy toeing on all settings) then don't expect to buy something to magically lower it 3-4 inches. Versions in order from tallest to shortest: GT, GTL, B/GA.

There are more experienced ppl here with better insight on the GTL/B/GA, so these are my outsider opinions.

Good luck!

Reactions: DACataldo

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had a Honda ST1300 in the past but she is long gone
As another K1600 owner who came from an ST1300 (and 2 x ST1100's before that), I'd describe the K1600 as being a more refined ST1300 with 10 years more development, much better aero, and loads of useful toys. The only downside is that as it's a BMW you won't get the reliability of the ST1300. That said, some are fortunate and have no issues at all.

Hope the viewing went well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 2006 ST1300 and loved it only issue I had with it was it had the stuck open thermostat problem that I was able to fix. It was a fun bike to ride did get a little hot riding it it the hot weather with the radiator venting. I moved to a GL1800 but never did really enjoyed riding it to me it was big and cumbersome reminded me of driving a mini van. Made the mistake of doing a demo ride on a K1600GTL and I was hooked did everything that the ST did but had all the stuff that the GL had. Did some research before making the switch and figured that it was not going to be like owning a Made in Japan experience. Cost of ownership is higher for the BMW I was a little off on the estimate turned out even more. Availability for parts and service if much less with the number of dealers being spread out and the one that I liked falling victim to the pandemic. I did have issues with mine I got it used and it is a 2012 so it was the first year and it has had some of the early ones problems. Some fixed by BMW and some at my expense. I have had it for 9 years now and I still enjoy riding as much as I did when I first got it. I has been the only one that I don't even mind riding in the rain. The K1600 is going to be the last motorcycle that I'm going get and will be the one that I will ride until I can't or don't feel safe riding. With all the being said I think you might feel the same way as I do coming from the ST.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
One of the main selling points for me in my year long decision to stay with Honda, or go to the unknown was the top box. I could have a GW when needed, and a ST when needed in about 5 minutes. That's all the longer that it takes to remove the top box from the K1600. For some it may not be an issue, but for me it was perfect. I too heard all of the comments about BMW not being as reliable as Honda. This and dealer support when traveling were my biggest hang up with going to a BMW. Three years and 30K miles later it as not been an issue yet, but it still bothers me at times.

Reactions: Bigdawg

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm 5'7' and have no trouble reaching the ground, solo but when I raise for 2 up with my wife on back and her weight being high on the bike I have to really pay attention at stop. Once seated the foot pegs tuck my knees kinda tight and often on day rides causes cramping bad enough to haveme consider trading my gtl for the grand america as the floorboards offer more legroom. Torque for days and the motor pulls strong all the way to the regulated 135 (gtl). If you can do the speed limit there's pretty good tank range to be had, but if you're like me and cruise at 87 mph all day about 140 miles between stops is all I get. Cee Bailey used to make an oversize screen that kept my wife happy and mostly dry. My 2012 has 55k and knock on wood. keeper.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Sold 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor to purchase a K1600GT. Incredible machine. As with most German-engineered vehicles, maintenance is required. I have, after reading several threads on oil change procedures, determined that I will have to buy a new K1600GT when the oil in this one is used up, since the engine has a pair of drain plugs and an actual procedure to follow to change the oil and to monitor the new oil level. Geez. Can you believe that? So, as you look at the most wonderful bike I've ever owned, just be ready for a lot of fear. Will the front shock go out? Will the fuel pump have to be replaced under recall? What about that driveshaft grease? Or is it oil? Do I really have to do the valve adjustments for $1200? Should I buy the extended warranty, just in case? Yikes! I really really like mine, but foresee that in time, as I age out towards my retirement, I will return to Honda, most likely a Goldwing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The lack of an extensive dealer network is going to make me sell.......Don't like the jerky throttle by wire system. Engine is a peach, however.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am brand new here and still trying to find my way around. I have been away from touring for about 10 years and I have the itch bad to buy something and start riding again. I had a Honda ST1300 in the past but she is long gone, and in perusing the classifieds I came across a one-owner 2014 BMW K1600 GTL with 7200 miles on it. It is priced well and the pictures are great. Planning on doing a 3-1/2 hour road trip each way to take a look at it tomorrow. Other than the fact that they are pretty, I really don't know anything about them. Do any of you guys have any thoughts on the subject? Any concerns for this year?

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 151199
I just bought a 2018 K1600b with 12k miles for $16,500 from San Jose BMW. It's a great riding bike and gets lots of looks, especially with the Remus exhaust. I've put 2k miles since Sept and have had no issues. To be truthful, I haven't had it long enough to say how reliable it is but after crunching the numbers, I felt I could afford the future maintenance, etc.etc. It rides smooth and am looking forward to doing some long distance travel.

I had a Honda ST1300 which was great but wanted something a little lower and a few more bells and whistles that come with newer bikes. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts