BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride about 70 miles a day to/from work, and I haven't given up motorcycle commuting yet ... though it was pretty darn cold this morning, and frosty. The upside is it's been an unusually dry fall so far. Anybody else bonkers enough to try year-round riding?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, according to the Aerostich map, we can ride more days a year than Arizona. I'm putting it to the test :)

Actually this isn't my first go at year-round commuting, though the last time it was on an ST1100 and I could walk to work if I wanted to.

·
Preema
898 Posts
All year round here - generally no snow in winter but plenty of ice, frost, wind and rain. -6 to 40 + deg C (20F - 110F +)

Parking for motorbikes is free - parking for cars is over $1000 per year

·
Registered
622 Posts
I did for years on my ST1300, 125 to 130 miles a day. Pretty easy to do in Northern California though. Did have a couple winters when the temps were low 20's. Thanks to the gear I only got cold when I shut off the heated jacket liner after parking the bike. The HD riders at work were amazed and thought I was crazy. Only thing I didn't like is when my face shield would leak rain on the inside. For some weird reason I actually like riding in the rain. Waterproof gear is priceless in the rain.

That's sadly THE only thing I miss from my old job. Now I work less then 10 minutes from home. Not worth gearing up for, and I'd probably wave as I rode by the shop. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I ride about 70 miles a day to/from work, and I haven't given up motorcycle commuting yet ... though it was pretty darn cold this morning, and frosty. The upside is it's been an unusually dry fall so far. Anybody else bonkers enough to try year-round riding?
In your area the only thing I would be real worried about would be the ice! Well the cages obviously also.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Did it in Romania, for years (except snow days), on RTs and GSAs, now I’m a daily rider in the South of the UK, on my 2017 k1600 GT - no snow here, only wind, rain, and low temperatures. I love the GT, even for commuting.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Many riders in Houston don't ride in the summer due to the heat and humidity. I ride virtually every week unless rain chances are high.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I try to ride year round but between December and March there are often chunks of weeks it's not safe. Once the salt hits the roads and there is a risk of black ice I'll not ride until we get rain and temps are above 32 and I'm confident the roads are dry for my 430 am commute.

I'd say I ride 7 days a month in December, January and February.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I did for years on my ST1300, 125 to 130 miles a day. Pretty easy to do in Northern California though. Did have a couple winters when the temps were low 20's. Thanks to the gear I only got cold when I shut off the heated jacket liner after parking the bike. The HD riders at work were amazed and thought I was crazy. Only thing I didn't like is when my face shield would leak rain on the inside. For some weird reason I actually like riding in the rain. Waterproof gear is priceless in the rain.

That's sadly THE only thing I miss from my old job. Now I work less then 10 minutes from home. Not worth gearing up for, and I'd probably wave as I rode by the shop. :)
Finally, a fellow rider that admits he likes riding in the rain! I thoroughly enjoy it! And to this thread, while not a long commute at 60 miles round trip, I ride every day here in Florida unless the wife needs me to pick up 10 bags of groceries at the commissary. some things we gotta do to keep the peace...0:)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Finally, a fellow rider that admits he likes riding in the rain! I thoroughly enjoy it! And to this thread, while not a long commute at 60 miles round trip, I ride every day here in Florida unless the wife needs me to pick up 10 bags of groceries at the commissary. some things we gotta do to keep the peace...0:)
I enjoy riding in the rain and at night too, but I need to be neat and clean in business clothes at work, that means wearing a coverall suit on the bike and changing out of gear in the train station parking lot. I ride 25 miles to a commuter rail lot and rail it into NYC.

So in the rain, changing in the lot isn't easy. I will however ride to work even if the forecast is for rain in the afternoon and gear up and ride home in the rain.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
@Marc11, a good one piece (Aerostitch, Olympia) would solve that problem, especially in the cooler or wetter months. I have an Aerostitch and It does wonders in the rain too. I just got back from a 500 mile sprint through three horrid rain storms (south Florida) and came out on each side bone dry. On and off in less than 30 seconds..:wink:

Reactions: amorley

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
@Marc11, a good one piece (Aerostitch, Olympia) would solve that problem, especially in the cooler or wetter months. I have an Aerostitch and It does wonders in the rain too. I just got back from a 500 mile sprint through three horrid rain storms (south Florida) and came out on each side bone dry. On and off in less than 30 seconds..:wink:
I have two and are my daily use gear most of the time. But when it's pouring rain, standing in a parking lot removing and packing gear just isn't an option sadly.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
As long as there's traction, I'm riding.

Electric mid-layer gear is a game changer.

It's not unusual for me to set out for a couple hundred mile ride in the rain.

Or the cold....

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Pretty easy here in Houston. So yes, year round.

Question though...anybody doing this in Colorado Springs? My wife is pushing for retirement there in a few years. But I'm seeing some cold temps. I don't mind the cold (heated gear). But really, how is it for ice, etc. It looks like it warms up well above freezing most days.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I lived in Olympia for 30+ years, if you live in W. WA and let the rain influence your riding, why bother riding? I had good rain gear, heated jacket and all the rest of the stuff needed to stay dry and warm. I now live in AZ and have a more difficult time trying to ride year round due to the heat. It was easy to stay warm in the winter in WA but trying to deal with extreme heat in summer has its challenges.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have never parked my bikes in the winter. If roads are clear and not a lot of krap on them I will ride.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts