BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Buddy of mine in Omaha rode year-round...even when -20 degs. He had a side car, though.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, according to the Aerostich map, we can ride more days a year than Arizona.

Yea, that Stitch map reflects 2 things -
1. Jealousy that here in Zonie land you can easily ride 365.
2. That Stitch doesn't have a suit for warm weather riding. Quit riding if the temp is over 95? Only if you're wearing a canvas overall.

Guess Motoport mesh wouldn't be good in the frozen tundra of Minnesota either, but there you go.

And for those who say it's just too darn hot to ride when nearing 120 degrees, 4 words. Phase Change Cooling Vests.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I lived in Olympia for 30+ years, if you live in W. WA and let the rain influence your riding, why bother riding? I had good rain gear, heated jacket and all the rest of the stuff needed to stay dry and warm. I now live in AZ and have a more difficult time trying to ride year round due to the heat. It was easy to stay warm in the winter in WA but trying to deal with extreme heat in summer has its challenges.
That is my riding philosophy more or less, though I've given myself permission to bail on riding if it's super stormy. Our usual November windstorms never materialized. We did have one blustery day when there was a 3-inch diameter branch on the state highway I usually traverse. I'm glad I waited an extra hour to leave home, so there was daylight by the time I got there.

They have gotten pretty good at applying deicer in advance of sub-freezing temperatures here. It's rarely salt, but something made of beet juice which is supposed to be relatively harmless for metal components. So that makes a day like today a lot more secure -- it was under 24 degrees at my neighbor's weather station, until after sunrise.

By the way I know Olympia well. Did you know it's twice as rainy there as in Seattle?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I do like riding in the rain, as long as I can stay away from getting stuck behind a truck throwing up a bunch of dirty water. Fortunately I'm retired and can choose when and where I ride, so that's usually pretty easy.

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yep, all year round, but it's only for pleasure, so typically only in the better weather, which in the UK at this time of year is perhaps once a week/fortnight, and even then only for 100 miles or so. We are seldom out of the 30s to 40s until April time, and most days are wet as the roads need a couple of days to dry due to it being so cold.

James

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I do like riding in the rain, as long as I can stay away from getting stuck behind a truck throwing up a bunch of dirty water. Fortunately I'm retired and can choose when and where I ride, so that's usually pretty easy.
Yes!! I hate trucks on the freeway. And not just an appearance problem after the ride, but a visibility problem in the wall-o-mist that comes off their tires.

The HOT lanes here help, because there's never semis in that lane and motorcycles are allowed to use them for free (see my September post about transponders).

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
New to this forum but I'm a veteran rider. Has anyone ever ridden 400+ miles in 35 degree weather with a 25 mph tailwind? If so, any tips? I've ridden that far in a day before but not when it was that cold. I have a 2011 r1200gs. Thanks for any feedback! -Jeff
I rode this past spring (April) up through the Yukon Territory to Alaska. Several days riding in temps from the mid-20s F to the high 30s. Electric mid-layer and gloves made the thousands of miles in those temps roll by like a non-event on the temperature.

4,200 miles in 11 days. We were delayed once due to a road closed for avalanche bombing. Everywhere we went in the Yukon Territory we heard the same thing, "We don't usually see motorcycles here for another month or so. You're the first this year."

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
All year. I work at home most days, so no commuting. There is a nearby office, and I'll either ride or drive.

I also sometimes ride to customer visits if I know I'll get stuck in traffic, like when I go to San Francisco. I'll wear nice jeans and shirt, along with boots and m/c jacket. Then change into nice shoes and coat when I park. Nobody even knows I rode, not that most would care.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
I did get my November ride in a couple weeks ago and was gonna get my December ride in today but the snow storm beat me home and iced up the road between here and the highway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Paris, France. All-year rider, except if it snows.

Tried that once with a brand new RT and it turns out that bikes, much like house cats, prefer to lie down and wait it out when there's snow. Although in my defence, it wasn't snowing when I left the house, my experience still cost me a pretty penny.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I ride everyday, unless there's a hurricane. But then, most have missed Central Florida lately. I ride day or night, sometimes in the rain without stopping to put my rain suit on...if I'm heading home. When it's cold, I wear more clothing. I ride for work, errands, fun, or just to escape. Traffic, highways, every street in Orlando. It was my determination when I bought a motorcycle to not just use it for the periodic weekend burger run. My car gets used every week or so. An '03 E46 M3. I like BMW's.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I'm about 100 miles south of Kansas City, deep in the boondocks, and I ride year-round. Snow and ice are the only things that force me into my car. I've ridden thousands of miles in 10-20 degree temps. The coldest I can recall riding in was 7° and I still had a little left on the dial. As has been stated, electric gear is da bomb and makes all the difference in the world.

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
KBiK
1,333 Posts
Year round here in southern Texas

·
Registered
39 Posts
In South Carolina, I ride year round, just a bit cold November through Feb. But otherwise, good to go. Of course, I stay out of the mountains, cold, ice and snow.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Year round here in the San Francisco Bay Area which is easily done given the moderate temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep rode in San Antonio this morn. 42 degrees. Used my new tourmaster heated jacket. Awesomesauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 70 Posts