BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Wifey and I went for a little ride today. Was only 35 miles, but it was still two-wheel time.

:grin:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well, according to the Aerostich map, we can ride more days a year than Arizona...
You may have to narrow the criteria down a bit. Flagstaff, I bet your right! In Yuma, you probably could ride every day of the year, although some days it may be toasty.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pretty easy here in Houston. So yes, year round.

Question though...anybody doing this in Colorado Springs? My wife is pushing for retirement there in a few years. But I'm seeing some cold temps. I don't mind the cold (heated gear). But really, how is it for ice, etc. It looks like it warms up well above freezing most days.
Colorado Springs is at about 6,000 feet and on the front range so snow and road conditions are erratic. I am from Denver, but lived in the Springs a couple years, my brother has lived there most of his life. January and February would be the worst of it, but they have periods during the winter where getting out for a ride would be very enjoyable. They get some real doozies of blizzards between Colorado Springs and Monument. They have closure gates on I-25 there at Monument Hill. If it were me, I would never put the bike up for storage, but realize it may only be rideable once or twice a month. They don't use salt on the roads, just sand (gravel) so that's good and bad. You will need to clean the bike well, after every ride. I would definitely be temped to buy a snow machine. :)

·
Green Eggs and Ham
388 Posts
Ditto on the blizzard/snow conditions in the Springs. I was stationed there from 1985-87, and December of "85 we saw 24 inches of snow in 24 hours. We were down range near Pueblo and started back to garrison (Fort Carson). The 35 mile trip took over 12 hours. Serious snow conditions. That's why I'm in Georgia :cold:

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Ditto on the blizzard/snow conditions in the Springs. I was stationed there from 1985-87, and December of "85 we saw 24 inches of snow in 24 hours. We were down range near Pueblo and started back to garrison (Fort Carson). The 35 mile trip took over 12 hours. Serious snow conditions. That's why I'm in Georgia :cold:
Thanks guys. I'm coming closer and closer to convincing my wife that her horse would be more comfortable staying in Texas too...:wink: Got a few more years to work on it. But I appreciate the input regarding Colorado Springs.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I ride a lot for fun, year round in Florida, except when it's too hot or raining. Never understood the need to get wet or too hot intentionally on a motorcycle and just don't feel safe in the rain. That's not to say that I haven't done either, it's just that I try to not do them intentionally.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just got back from a nice ride, 43F ambient and sunny. It isn't always raining in the PNW. In the low lands around Seattle on Puget Sound, say under about 1,000 ft elevation, there have been maybe 10 days in the past 5 years that we couldn't ride because of ice or snow. I can't remember any days that were too hot.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Pretty easy here in Houston. So yes, year round.

Question though...anybody doing this in Colorado Springs? My wife is pushing for retirement there in a few years. But I'm seeing some cold temps. I don't mind the cold (heated gear). But really, how is it for ice, etc. It looks like it warms up well above freezing most days.
I'm in the Springs. Got in about 7500 miles in over the last 7 weeks... :)
2 trips to Arkansas and one home from California, by way of Oregon. Temps as low as 13.

Snow melts quickly here and might shut you down for a day or two after, but plenty of "warm" dry stretches to get out for a ride!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nothing left to prove after riding for 40 plus years. The roads here are full of salt, sand, and massive pot holes not to mention its cold out which makes it no fun.

Reactions: Buerkletucson

·
Registered
227 Posts
I always rode year round in the early days as I only had a bike.

In the last 10 years I have ridden my ST1300 very little but after getting the K in July, I have ridden to and from work about 80% of the time. It's funny, every time I ride I remember why I have a bike.

Have a ride planned tomorrow (1st Jan) of about 70 miles with a couple of friends from our robotics team (a Wing and a BMW - that's their bikes, not my friends).

With new over-trousers this Christmas I plan to at least commute every day that I can. I do tend to avoid rain as it's difficult to turn up to the office soaking wet and there is nowhere to hang wet gear.

Cheers,

Derek

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Nothing left to prove after riding for 40 plus years. The roads here are full of salt, sand, and massive pot holes not to mention its cold out which makes it no fun.
Fact of life here also....
First dump of salt in November and I'm done until Spring rains......even if it warms up a bit there are just too many slick spots that aren't worth the risk IMHO.

Many other hobbies to keep me plenty busy over the Winter and then in the Spring, I'm like a little kid again when I get the K1600 out for the first ride of the season.
Love it....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't think this thread is about proving anything nor is riding year round. Some of us ride not just for fun, and some of us own bikes not just as play things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't think this thread is about proving anything nor is riding year round. Some of us ride not just for fun, and some of us own bikes not just as play things.

So if your motorcycle is not a toy and you don't ride for fun then why do you ride. Don't blow a gasket, just a question ??

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
So if your motorcycle is not a toy and you don't ride for fun then why do you ride. Don't blow a gasket, just a question ??
Don't think I ever said I didn't have fun riding or didn't enjoy my bike. But it's not a toy, it's transportation first and foremost. I use it to go to work, to the gym, to the store, run errands and more. There are other uses for the bike of course that some may consider a toy or pure enjoyment, but no more than any other vehicle people enjoy operating.

I enjoy driving my truck in the mud and snow, but never once considered it a toy.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I enjoy driving my truck in the mud and snow, but never once considered it a toy.
What does it feel like to be grown up? :grin:

(When someone asks me where I grew up, I tell them I cannot answer that because it hasn't happened yet...)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Don't think I ever said I didn't have fun riding or didn't enjoy my bike. But it's not a toy, it's transportation first and foremost. I use it to go to work, to the gym, to the store, run errands and more. There are other uses for the bike of course that some may consider a toy or pure enjoyment, but no more than any other vehicle people enjoy operating.

Fair enough. I consider the things I use for enjoyment and not necessity a toy. My motorcycle is not and has never been a necessity. We just have a difference of opinion is all.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Fair enough. I consider the things I use for enjoyment and not necessity a toy. My motorcycle is not and has never been a necessity. We just have a difference of opinion is all.
And that's okay. There have been years where a bike was all I owned, it was then a necessity, more so then now, but again, I don't need a truck when a basic sedan would do, I don't need central air, when a fan would do, I don't need a 65" TV when a smaller one or none would do.

It's all a matter of wants, needs and perspective.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Hi everyone,I ride all year round.Mostly back and forth to work ,took my girl one day to Yosemite and back for lunch 400 mile round trip she froze her but off in Jan one year.We had to stop a couple of times on the way back for shots to warm up a little.But yeah rain or shine on the 2012 gtl.going on 70k now

41 - 60 of 70 Posts