BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Heated gear can literally be a life saver. Mine lives on the bike year-round, because even a 65°F mountain pass seems cold after riding through a 95°F valley...

Warm & Safe

·
Bubonic
995 Posts
Here in Michigan I ride until ice is on the ground.

For a couple weeks it's been between 34-45 degrees each morning for my commute to work and between 50-60 for my ride home. For the morning, I turn on the handle heat, heat up the seat, and wear a heated jacket liner inside of my Alpine Start jacket. I am hoping to be able to ride until late December or longer...

I haven't driven a car since July or earlier. I love it.

My rule is usually: No ice on the ground, I use my K to get around!

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Here I ride year round except when it gets too hot or a hurricane is on it's way... The really great season has just started..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Don't think I ever said I didn't have fun riding or didn't enjoy my bike. But it's not a toy, it's transportation first and foremost. I use it to go to work, to the gym, to the store, run errands and more. There are other uses for the bike of course that some may consider a toy or pure enjoyment, but no more than any other vehicle people enjoy operating.

I enjoy driving my truck in the mud and snow, but never once considered it a toy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Interesting take. The K16 is an expensive choice for mostly bland utility.

To the topic, living in SoCal, it's easy to ride year-round. Probably easier than anywhere else in the country. I choose not to ride the few times it's wet. Drivers here tend to get a little crazy when the see moisture, so it's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Living in the PNW now for over 20 years I ride most of the year in Western WA. The only time I leave 'BH' home is when the temps drop after a drizzle or rain and snow on the roads. Ice on roads with two wheels = no fun.
If you want to head out and meet somewhere drop me a line.
Be well,

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am 61 and have not worked in 18 yr now...but, as far as riding year round....not a week passes that I do not ride somewhere.... Live in Travelers Rest, SC.... weather is not perfect, but close enough....LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nope, live in the mountains-our road is snow and ice covered for far too long. I'm out as soon as enough ice is gone that I can thread through a rut to the road.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Pretty easy to do in the Texas Panhandle. I wear layers and a idly heavy one-piece suit in winter. Heated seat and grips are wonderful. We may have a 25 degree day today and tomorrow will be 65. My main hindrance to riding is generally mid-summer when we can have a stretch of temps above 100 degrees. Even vented mesh makes that a chore.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
My main hindrance to riding is generally mid-summer when we can have a stretch of temps above 100 degrees. Even vented mesh makes that a chore.
There are many that say (with good reason) that wearing a vented mesh in 100+ degree conditions is actually worse than normal jacket with a couple of vents.

At a stop, mesh is good, but in motion, you can't use 100 degree air to cool a 95 degree surface (your skin is normally a few degrees cooler than your internal temperature). You only need enough air movement to evaporate the perspiration. Anything more and you're making yourself hotter, not cooler. You're effectively putting yourself in a convection oven....they cook faster or at lower temperatures by moving the hot air.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I ride about 70 miles a day to/from work, and I haven't given up motorcycle commuting yet ... though it was pretty darn cold this morning, and frosty. The upside is it's been an unusually dry fall so far. Anybody else bonkers enough to try year-round riding?
Yep, cep when there's ice on the roads I plan to travel on. Member, sort of; the Polar Bears MC Club. An AMA sanctioned club located in New Jersey who's members ride only in cold weather months.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts