BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Techmeister
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends upon the color of the bike. I chose a lighter shade of brown for my seat because I plan to change the bike's color next year. I am not a fan of that ad's particular color of brown, but it would also serve to remind that to recover an RDL is a small fraction of the original build's cost. So buy this and have it resurfaced.

·
Registered
464 Posts
WOW! and I thought MY RDL was ugly, butt man that takes it for sure! I mean, "but hey, it looks good on you" Rodney D

·
Registered
232 Posts
The other thing to note when buying a used Russell is that it's been custom made for someone else and unless they have the same weight and ergos that you have then it won't work as well as an RDL custom made for you on your bike.

I tried several used RDLs on my old Ks and they worked fairly well but when I finally broke down and bought a new one made for me it was noticeably better than prior used RDLs that I'd tried.

·
Q
5,247 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that is butt ugly? Brown and black pillion...yuk
Only a mother could love it..

Upon reading the description, I think he should send it back and have them do a nose job on it and take a little off the sides. Might be easier for him to touch the ground with his short legs.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,333 Posts
Right after the B came out, Corbin did one up just like this one, and they obviously liked the look. Maybe the customer asked RDL to make it look as much like the Corbin design as possible.

I’d have the top of the pillion covered in brown, too, and want the tufting to be more understated, but I like the black/brown combo. Different strokes.

·
Bubonic
995 Posts
It reminds me of a brown saddle on a black horse, I feel it goes, it isn't my first choice, I always manage to talk myself out of wearing brown boots with black pants, but I see this black brown combo a lot, especially in the HD community

·
Techmeister
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, my black GA has a dark sand-colored seat because I was going for a bit of a retro look for the bike. I was seriously looking at fishtail pipes to add to the character of the bad-ass bagger from the future look. Sort of like an Indian which was washed after midnight, and now has an attitude.

I am thinking about a metallic green with gold dust as a new skin for Cylon. That or go totally retro Iron Man with gold/red/black. I say this only because I can already count the disapproving looks thrown at me now. ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Actually it reminds me of that "719" option or whatever its called from BMW.
Don't they make a brown saddle for the rt12 and stuff like that?
It worked on the bike I saw, not so much on this seat.

·
1,333 Posts
It reminds me of a brown saddle on a black horse, I feel it goes, it isn't my first choice, I always manage to talk myself out of wearing brown boots with black pants, but I see this black brown combo a lot, especially in the HD community
FWIW, I agree with you totally on the saddle/horse and boots. I know the “rules” have changed, but I can’t get past my raising not to wear anything other than athletic shoes that are lighter-colored than your pants.

When I rode horses as a kid (we had a farm and owned and showed), both quarter horses and walking horses, western and English style, I had to ride brown saddles with black horses, but not because I liked it, but because I only had one (bought used) saddle of each type, and that’s what we could afford. But it always looked off to me on a horse, too.

“So why would you think it looks OK on a B?” I have no idea. Maybe it’s the being different thing with motorcycles, but doing it without an airbrushed naked lady on the gas tank.:grin:

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
1,333 Posts
Actually it reminds me of that "719" option or whatever its called from BMW.
Don't they make a brown saddle for the rt12 and stuff like that?
It worked on the bike I saw, not so much on this seat.
RT, GT, and GTL. Much lighter brown, though.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Only a mother could love it..

Upon reading the description, I think he should send it back and have them do a nose job on it and take a little off the sides. Might be easier for him to touch the ground with his short legs.
Speaking of the description, I found it interesting that he said "This is a beautiful, quality seat but it just does not suit me. I think my legs are a bit short for it". It's heresy on this forum to suggest the RDL is anything but a perfect seat, but it does change the height to a level that was a no-go for me. I accept that it's fine for some, but there are actually other good options out there.

·
Q
5,247 Posts
Speaking of the description, I found it interesting that he said "This is a beautiful, quality seat but it just does not suit me. I think my legs are a bit short for it". It's heresy on this forum to suggest the RDL is anything but a perfect seat, but it does change the height to a level that was a no-go for me. I accept that it's fine for some, but there are actually other good options out there.
Corbin is not one of them. Lets just get that out of the way right now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts