BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of replacing an old 2008 Honda Rancher 420 that has served me incredibly well. I use it mostly for hunting and setting up hunting farms but also use it for spraying and running stuff around my small 15ac farm. It was a very reliable machine requiring only routine maintenance in it's 11 years. I replaced the spark plug and changed oil and it never failed me.

Now the process of researching new UTV's has started. The whole industry has come about because Polaris started the trend and now everyone has several to offer.
My requirements are as follows:
2 seater
4wd
dump bed
narrow stance (farmers often plant very close to the edge and I can't damage crops)
dependable
don't need a sport model, just looking for working breeds.

I've looked at the following:
Polaris Ranger 570 (both 2 and 3 seater)
John Deere XUV590m
Can Am Defender
Honda Pioneer 700-2 Deluxe

So far, I'm down to the Honda, Polaris and Deere and the Honda is top of the list.

Pro's/Cons:
Pro's
Honda transmission is full gears like a auto transmission, the deluxe model has auto or paddle shift
Honda Deluxe model has power steering
Honda has much bigger hauling (1500lbs) and cargo capacity (1000lbs)
Polaris makes more XUV's than anyone else
Polaris makes a 3 seater which is just a small bit wider
John Deere comes with more options on their built up model for similar price of standard models of the others

Cons:
Polaris has belt drive, lots of complaints about belt maintenance unless you drive it like a speed demon. Owners say feathering the throttle tears up the belt
Polaris is about $1000 more when built similarly to the Honda
John Deere has small payload for the dump bed (500lbs)
Honda isn't in stock which means no deals on 2019 models and I'll have to order a 2020 model and pay MSRP

Anyone have the Honda and talk me out of it?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Is there additional width for the 1000? is that the reason you haven't looked at the Honda 1000? We have the five seater pioneer and a good buddy has the 3 seater. I didnt realize the Honda 700 was DTC as well as the 1000. We use ours mostly in the winter but really like it. The only issue with them is that they are loud with a roof on, and you have to put a roof on if you don't want to get baked by the sun. The whole unit is really well made.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the 1000 is much wider and a bunch heavier as well. I just don't need the extra power although I understand why folks get them.
The 700 isn't DTC but the 700 Deluxe is.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Buy the John Deere. As an ex Deere worker I need my pension check every month so keep the cash flowing to them >:) Also buy a Ruger while your at it so that pension check keeps coming too.

·
Registered
933 Posts
IMO, Honda is the only way to go. You touched on the point of the Polaris' drive belt.

I don't know what shipping costs would be but you may be able to find a dealer in a nearby state that could make up the difference if you bought a 2019.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday after work, I went to the local Honda dealer, they also have Kawasaki and CanAm.
I get inside and have a probably 30yr old kid help me, he's got Kawasaki and CanAm stuff all over his desk and immediately starts explaining what is wrong with the Honda 700. the engine is too small, transmission uses same oil as the engine and tranny gets too hot, trans always slips, blah blah blah. I was honestly very surprised he was talking the Honda down so much considering I'm inside a Honda dealership.
He said that I need to get the Kawasaki Mule, it's so much better than every other machine on the market. I tell him that i work on the base and the maintainers have 20 of the new $20K mules and out of their fleet, 11 have blown head gaskets. He continues on that they beat the crap out of them and don't maintain them properly (which is absolutely true) but what i see them do with them is minor. these machines should take whatever these guys give them and not even flinch.
Anyway, after 1.5hrs of this, i leave and shake my head that he was so negative on the Pioneer 700.

I'll talk to a few dealers in my area and see what they have to offer on a leftover, I saw some fairly locally with $2k off MSRP which would cover a hard top and front/back glass.
It's gotta happen soon, I'm without a machine and that's not going to work for me.

Ohh, the local JD Gator is getting closer to getting bought if this becomes any more of a hassle. I think it's a pickem between the XUV590M Gator and the Pioneer 700 Deluxe

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the trigger on the XUV590M gator. It has excellent reviews and does more than I need it to do.
Evidently sales on the Honda must be good because I couldn't get a return call from the dealership. That's the beauty of having options!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Congratulations! I have to say I can certainly back up your experience with trying to BUY a Honda! I had quite the run around as well. I have a John Deere ride on Lawnmower and I have been SUPER impressed about every parts ordering experience with John Deere. Have Fun with your new wheels, It looks great!

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Glad you bought the Deere. Now Steve and I can get our next month pension checks. Seriously I think it was a good choice based on my experience with John Deere quality from design through build. I was involved years and years ago with the development of the first Gator, which was a 3 wheel vehicle. Let us know after a few months how you are liking it. Now get yourself a John Deere cap and wear it into the Honda dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
general.jpg I've got one.

Added a few farkles, some expensive....

general2.jpg

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've now made it through one full hunting season with the John Deere, it's a great machine with tons of great attributes. It made it deep into a marsh to retrieve a deer without having to use the winch. It has had 500+ lbs of corn in it many times to fill the feeder. It once had 3 deer and 3 hunters packed into it for about a mile. Everything is great with the exception of the size. It's a smaller size SxS and I have to trailer it, wish it could fit in the bed of my truck.
The wife loves it, she does gardening and weeding with it and makes things easier. I have used it for bringing wood from the wood shed to the house, very nice tool.
The only thing I can say it hinders me from doing is going into the woods. My old 4 wheeler would be easy to bring deep into the woods, I could steer around fallen trees and other obstacles and if it got hung up, I could get off and move it by hand.
I might have to look for a decent used 4 wheeler that I can stick in the bed of my truck for using when I'm planning on going into the woods.
I give the Deere 2 thumbs up for performance and ease of operation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts