BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming I can get the broken bones iny ankle healed up in time, I am targeting to hit this event. I live just south of Ottawa. I was wondering if anyone else is considering heading down from the area?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
as much as I would love to go.. I don't think it will happen... will likely head to Vancouver in May. Have a great time if you go..... its worth the trip..

ride safe

·
Techmeister
1,464 Posts
I will be heading down from NH, though that is out of the way for you I suppose. Are you riding strait south to NY, or down through Montreal?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be heading down from NH, though that is out of the way for you I suppose. Are you riding strait south to NY, or down through Montreal?
I probablly should be putting this message into a pm but I don't think this section of the forum gets too many looks.
I live in Kemptville which is a small town just south of Ottawa. The shortest route for me is to head south and find my way to route 81 and head south through NY, PA and south. How do you go? Do you eventually make your way over to 81 or some other route. Route 81 is the most direct route for me but parts of it atleast are pretty boring. Fromy house google is tellinge that he ride via 81 is about 1600km or 1000miles so I will be likely grabbing a room somewhere on the way. Maybe it makes sense to meet somewhere where I grab a room. Normally I would likely make the first day the bigger one to get to the lodge. Mid day on the second day.

Feel free to send me a pm on this.

Duke

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the schedule ?
Snowboy
I imagine you have seen it but in case not, the actual thread for the event is in the Southeast Riders Forum. Officially they are suggesting arriving on Wed May 1st and departing Sun May5th.

I was thinking of departing Monday morning the 28th and arriving mid day on the 30th. Leaving Sunday morning and getting home late Monday afternoon. I would also consider leaving on the Tuesday with Wednesday arrival if that's better for others.
Regardless of departure times this is a two day trek each way so a couple hotel rooms are required. The lodge at the event is booked solid and I don't really want to stay offsite. I want to be able to socialize and have a few beers at the end of each day so I was planning to pitch a tent at the event site while there. There are rooms around that aren't too far that are still available I hear. I had one guy reach out to me looking for folks to share a cabin that holds 4.

Personal trip risk:
I am recovering from 3 bone fractures in my left ankle and shin as a result of an ice fall. The injury is a week and a half old and they are telling me no weight on it for 6-8wks and possibly up to 12 depending on heal time. I am not 20 years old anymore but I'm not 80 either so we will see what it takes. If I am unlucky and can't put wait on it for 12 wks it will be tough to be ready for this event. My personal goal is to be riding to this TTD event. If I just can't make it I will consider the annual MOA rally in June in Tennessee but the TTD event is my preference.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would hit 81 somewhere near Scranton; I live immediately north of Boston.
That would work. Google is telling me it's still almost 1000 miles from Boston as well so I assume you would be planning an overnight on the way down? Did you have a place in mind. I was thinking somewhere around the Virginia border for the first night if my leg will take it. On day 2 we could find some roads on the way to Stecoah and fill the day with riding as well if wanted. I am totally flexible on where we stay stop locations etc.

In general my attitude on these trips is I go for the roads and the RIDE. It is awesome to make new friends and socialize and that is a total bonus.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's too bad. I hope we can arrange another ride together.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you make it all the way to VA, there’s a variety of lodging options in and around Winchester.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am afraid I cannot commit, but it does look good for me. I will know more closer to March.
Understood. I'm in the same boat with my ankle. I am using this event as motivation to get it in shape. I won't know for sure if I will be able to make it until a week or two before departure date.......but I'm hoping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts