BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven’t got energy/inclination to do the various combos to try and get music to my helmeted ears, although always good to read others experience of doing just that. I’m assuming I may be wasting my time as I couldn’t find any reference to ......however the AirPods with Neotec II .......any point in trying, I have the air pro & Neo II, however no riding yet as Scotland/UK in Covid Lockdown. Thanks in advance for any feedback 👍

·
Registered
208 Posts
If the Pros fit in your ear well and you can get your helmet on without disrupting them I think it's a good solution. I don't have Apple AirPods, but my Bluetooth flush fitting earbuds will work themselves looks after about 30 minutes. I tried several of the sizes the earbuds came with. Nothing fit tight enough to where they didn't need some kind of adjustment. Kind of a deal breaker to have to pull over, take the helmet off and adjust. That's just my experience.

Zach

·
Registered
27 Posts
After a couple of Sena sets in different helmets, I didn't bother buying a new set for my new Schuberth C3 and went for a set of Shure SE215 isolating headphones instead.
SE215 - Sound Isolating™ Earphones

They block out wind noise very well, but on a K it's pretty quiet anyway compared to most bikes, and the fit and sound quality is very good. You get six sets of buds to fit any ear and the Bluetooth battery is supposed to last up to 10 hours. Also you can charge while riding on very long trips.

They stay in place when putting on my helmet and have an external volume control and an app for your phone, pretty convenient.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I use AirPods Pro exclusively in my C3 Pro, and X14. Only problem I have is with the non modular full face (X14) one side or the other pops out when removing my helmet, which is no biggie to me.

Of note: I did this ‘fit upgrade’ awhile back. Here’s what I did...

How I Modded the Silicone Tips of AirPods Pro with a Memory Foam Layer

Another note: ‘Hey Siri‘ commands only work at standstill for X14, and about 25% of the time while moving with the C3 Pro. I don’t really care though, as I mainly use them for music playback.

Other than the occasional pop out when removing my helmet, I’m loving them.

Lastly, the Active Noise Cancellation is absolutely the best. I’ve used wired earpods, and helmet speakers before, that didn't have ANC, and I had to run the volume at a much higher level. With ANC, I can run at a lower volume, still hear the music, and also hear car horns, sirens, etc.

BTW, I forgot to mention, I tried the Sennheiser Momentum, and the Jabra Elite before the AirPods Pro, and couldn't really get either to stay fit (in) through the process of putting on either helmet. Or, if they did stay in, they’d move around some in my ears, once the helmet was on. So to have the AirPods Pro work was pretty exciting for me. Lol :)

As with anything, YMMV.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I tried fitting my Neotec II over my AirPods. I was able to get my helmet on with little trouble. Th problem was taking the helmet off. The Airpods ripped out of my ears and fell to the ground no matter how careful I was. I'm gave up on the experiment.

I have the Cardo Freecom 4+ with JBL speakers in the helmet anyway, so no big deal.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback folks. Sounds like it’s worth a try, keeping in mind “Sod’s Law” ....which means if they are going to fall to the ground as I remove my helmet .....they will! 🙄

Imagining me with easy bud option, then arriving at a stop somewhere, taking large safety mat from Topbox, standing on it to safely deposit my buds when they fall! 😂 ......nope, hopefully my ears are big enough, which I think they are to holds the buds, although I can envisage possible problem removing the helmet, as Doc/JohnS say, and they hit the ground (take helmet off when on grass - not your kind of grass! 😂)

Noted the “Shure” option. I’m trying to steer clear of fixed set-ups like Sena etc. The Neotec II takes their integrated kit however I am just trying to go with.... wireless buds in, connect my phone and go.

Thanks again, I’ll give it a try as I already have the Neo 2/Buds so it’s just waiting for the UK Movement Restrictions to be lifted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven’t got energy/inclination to do the various combos to try and get music to my helmeted ears, although always good to read others experience of doing just that. I’m assuming I may be wasting my time as I couldn’t find any reference to ......however the AirPods with Neotec II .......any point in trying, I have the air pro & Neo II, however no riding yet as Scotland/UK in Covid Lockdown. Thanks in advance for any feedback 👍

If you expect to pick up your audio source from your k16 it doesn't work for me. What does work are $36 bluetooth buds, but forget about getting volume adjustment from the wonder wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. Sounds like it’s worth a try, keeping in mind “Sod’s Law” ....which means if they are going to fall to the ground as I remove my helmet .....they will! 🙄

Imagining me with easy bud option, then arriving at a stop somewhere, taking large safety mat from Topbox, standing on it to safely deposit my buds when they fall! 😂 ......nope, hopefully my ears are big enough, which I think they are to holds the buds, although I can envisage possible problem removing the helmet, as Doc/JohnS say, and they hit the ground (take helmet off when on grass - not your kind of grass! 😂)

Noted the “Shure” option. I’m trying to steer clear of fixed set-ups like Sena etc. The Neotec II takes their integrated kit however I am just trying to go with.... wireless buds in, connect my phone and go.

Thanks again, I’ll give it a try as I already have the Neo 2/Buds so it’s just waiting for the UK Movement Restrictions to be lifted.
I’d love to tell you it’s not going to happen (fall to ground), but it does. Not all the time, but it does. Sometimes, one or both just twists a little in my ear, sometimes both fall to ground, sometimes both stay put. It’s honestly such a crap shoot, I just said to myself, heck, if I have to buy new ones every season, I will. I’ve already purchased extra silicone tips, but those things seem pretty resilient! :)

Also, I use them paired directly with my iPhone X (which I keep in my front pocket of my riding jeans), so I don’t know how they’ll work using them any other way.

In addition, make sure (if you want to) to learn the tips and tricks with them. You can ’customize’ them once they are paired with your iPhone under whatever they’ve been named (Jims AirPods Pro for example), as to what they respond to, ANC on/off, etc, etc. And lastly, if you want to find out how much charge they have, just open the case next to your iPhone, and a screen will pop up on your phone, and let you know case charge, AirPod Pro charge.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. Sounds like it’s worth a try, keeping in mind “Sod’s Law” ....which means if they are going to fall to the ground as I remove my helmet .....they will!
You could always adopt the motorsport technique of putting a strip of tape over your ear / the AirPod to stop them falling out. That would also have the benefit of providing amusement to those around you when you remove your helmet 🤣
I’m trying to steer clear of fixed set-ups like Sena etc. The Neotec II takes their integrated kit
Any reason why, other than the obvious one of cost?

Something I've always been acutely aware of is that helmets are designed to both absorb impact and spread residual load across a relatively large area in response to an impact. Putting something hard in your ear will act as a load concentration point. How critical that may be is moot, but just something to bear in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Sorry for that site, but the concern is real.

Better site? Why I Stopped Using Apple’s Airpods (Testing EMFs in Bluetooth Headpho
What? Oh crap!

Well, I‘ll just add it to the list...hard to believe I’ve made it this far. I jumped on trampolines without a net, rode bicycles and skateboards without helmets, drove cars without seatbelts, rode motorcycles without tech, stood in the front row of many a concert without hearing protection, and now...used AirPod Pros for 4+ hours a day, multiple days at a time.

;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Something I've always been acutely aware of is that helmets are designed to both absorb impact and spread residual load across a relatively large area in response to an impact. Putting something hard in your ear will act as a load concentration point. How critical that may be is moot, but just something to bear in mind.
This certainly caught my attention. :oops:

it got me thinking about the one bad accident I’ve had in my life, where the side of my helmet smashed hard against the pavement. Thinking back, I wouldn’t have wanted anything sticking in my ears. It’s hard to describe the amount and violence of blunt force you experience.

it’s another reason for me to stick with the built-in speakers I already have in the helmet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could always adopt the motorsport technique of putting a strip of tape over your ear / the AirPod to stop them falling out. That would also have the benefit of providing amusement to those around you when you remove your helmet 🤣
Any reason why, other than the obvious one of cost?

Phil?

I was just settling into the groove and the varied feedback, thinking, I’ll give it a go ......and then you threw up “you’re inserting a self-detonating weapon that will strike you down .....if?” 🙈😁

**** forums, **** different opinions 😂

I’ll feel like De Niro in The Deer Hunter every time I go to insert my Airpods.

It’s a fair point, well made and the reason that forums are a great source of opinions, good, fair, bad ......and I’m grateful to all those that chip in on any topic, with genuine opinion, rather than just chucking a grenade and leaving.

So......? Phil, it’s a fair point, simply made 👍

Oddly, I lost/saved a previous 1150GSA on gravel on a bend, about 45mph, a mile from home ......lost in the sense bike slid away from me, then I managed to catch it and whilst congratulating myself how skilful I was to save it whilst leant over, The Good Biking Lord then removed his saving hand from my shoulder, and down I went, bike somersaulted, I missed a metal pole by 6/8’ whilst sliding down the road 😳 .......bike kept somersaulting, I came to rest with leathers well worn away, boots/gloves damaged ......yet, perfect helmet, not a scratch?! ......obviously saving my good looks for my possible funeral! 😬 BMW Recovery picked up bike within 20 mins, took me home, I went into garage and took my Blackbird out, thinking.... “Just get on & ride”.

The lesson, of sorts? ......if wearing Airpods back then, they would have been perfect .....apart from £15,000 written-off bike & gear! 😂

Thanks for unsettling my Airpods plan Phil .....in the nicest way possible 😬

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Sorry for that site, but the concern is real.

Better site? Why I Stopped Using Apple’s Airpods (Testing EMFs in Bluetooth Headpho
Its the same thing, full of click bait selling keto wares. But lets ignore that for a second. Bluetooth transmitters (which is what you are worried about) lack the physical properties of ionising radiation or the power capable of causing heat damage to cells. That means that you cannot damage the cells through radiation like effects nor can you heat the nearby cells through exposure at anywhere near the power levels used in wifi or bluetooth, that would require multiple orders of magnitude more power. Both of these effects would be readily measurable by any lab. If it could happen and it would be repeatable as a scientific process the person that comes up with it would get very wealthy.

·
Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Bluetooth transmitters (which is what you are worried about) lack the physical properties of ionising radiation or the power capable of causing heat damage to cells. That means that you cannot damage the cells through radiation like effects nor can you heat the nearby cells through exposure at anywhere near the power levels used in wifi or bluetooth, that would require multiple orders of magnitude more power. Both of these effects would be readily measurable by any lab. If it could happen and it would be repeatable as a scientific process the person that comes up with it would get very wealthy.
Good to know. Thanks.

iPods are fine for phone calls but not so much for music. I'm spoiled by better listening options inside the helmet and other times. Yes, helmet listening requires wires, but for effective isolation from wind that is what it takes. For music to be musical it takes power, which means a bigger power output, so the 3.5mm output from the Bluetooth Sena unit has been acceptable at driving the efficient ear monitors I use.

·
Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Interesting thought. While helmet speakers spread that potential over a wider area, something small and hard in the ear cavity could potentially transmit added impact if the helmet is hit on the side. That just makes sense. It would take a pretty odd impact because of your shoulders or arms, but certainly possible.

My soft silicone ear monitors:

Isolation needed for the low frequencies:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts