BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent last Saturday doing a ride around N. Ga, E. Tenn, and SW NC. Looks like just in time. Was planning to do it again this weekend but NC is closing.

Stuff is getting real. The Cherohala Skyway is closing. And the Dragon and other great roads of the area require a local county ID. SC just announced that police have the authority break up gatherings of four or more.

I assume next door TN counties are next. Polk County, Tn ordered restaurants to serve take out only and we had some good ribs from a very glad to see us restaurant owner. Times are about to get tough for many.

My risk analysis figured my face mask keeps me from spitting on my riding buddies hands, and them from touching their face if I did. And gloves for more protection.

20200321_134848.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
In my humble opinion ......it’s time to all do our bit. This thing isn’t [email protected]’ about. The fact that it’s spreading at the rate it is says that it is simply taking the piss out of us as we don’t really consider it a threat.

That age old view “It’ll never happen to me”.

Like The Forces that are sent to war (not their choice) so the Medical Staff are on the frontline. We disrespect them if we don’t do our bit as they are on our frontline, not with guns/ammo.

Sorry to preach ......however, sincerely folks ......let’s do our bit and pass the word along. We all need to pull together.

Preaching over 😌

·
Registered
314 Posts
In California, which has some of the most stringent lock down policies in the US, I’m not aware of any roads being closed to local traffic only. Riding a motorcycle on public roads doesn’t endanger anyone. When I took my half-day ride 2 days ago, I stopped for nothing other than gas, at a station legally open per government directives. I wasn’t close to anyone as I gassed up, and disinfected my hands both before and after. We all have to take important precautions, but completely shutting down everyday life is frankly ridiculous. I have too many friends indefinitely out of work to due to overly draconian shutdown rules. Hopefully, the madness will end sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In California, which has some of the most stringent lock down policies in the US, I’m not aware of any roads being closed to local traffic only. Riding a motorcycle on public roads doesn’t endanger anyone. When I took my half-day ride 2 days ago, I stopped for nothing other than gas, at a station legally open per government directives. I wasn’t close to anyone as I gassed up, and disinfected my hands both before and after. We all have to take important precautions, but completely shutting down everyday life is frankly ridiculous. I have too many friends indefinitely out of work to due to overly draconian shutdown rules. Hopefully, the madness will end sooner rather than later.
Sadly, I’ve got to disagree John.The problem is not riding? ......it’s the example it sets? It encourages others, and others, and others........ and then folk think? .....well if they are not playing by the rules, why should I? ........then it spreads amongst others, and so it goes.

Like the virus, it just spreads.

I get freedom, particularly in the US, however I also get the bit about us all being in this “together”.

........but, in a forum, there will always be an opposing view, and you have mine, even though you didn’t ask for it? .......it’s that virus thing again, not minding it’s/my business and just interfering.

No insults intended, just my view. I choose not to encourage others to break the rules because I want everyone to play fair so we can get rid of this thing, or manage it in some way.

Done preaching ......for now 👍

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Only Graham County, NC has closed any roads and that is unfortunately the NC side of the Cherohala Skyway... They are freaking idiots, they (Graham COunty) have shut down what appears to be every thing tourist related.. Tennessee ( I live in Loudon County, TN ) has NOT closed any roads nor have they shut down the Dragon, the short portion of it in NC is in Swain County, not the Nazi county of Graham.

Tennessee has enacted drive thru / take out only restaurant eating and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) just closed campgrounds.

Get out support the small businesses. I plan to ride the Dragon this weekend on my new to me GTL!

Piss on Graham County! They have not liked motorcycles for a long time, I have 2 different stories dealing with that county, which are way to long to go into on a keyboard.

Side View of GTL.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I’ve been riding a lot only stopping for gas. On my 450 mile ride this weekend I took a cooler of food with me and my own drinks so no need to stop anywhere. Also took hand sanitizer with me for gas station. Not sure how I’m harming anyone by riding rural roads by myself....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know that some roads are more contagious than others? And did we just discover the virus is nocturnal?
lol only if you go the wong way lol. We are not sure what's happening here at the moment the mixed messages from the feds and state conflict is some ways or there are too many grey areas. I am under the impression that they want us to stay at home for at least 14 days but certainly, no gatherings and only takeaway stores for coffee or fast food can open under that rule. Like you, I love my rides but not sure what we can do. I think if I rode by myself without any contact with anyone until I needed fuel it would be fine and then take precautions to have disposable gloves to fuel and so on. Till I get more classification on what is expected from us I won't attempt to even ride in the country areas where really there would be next to no contact with others.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sadly, I’ve got to disagree John.The problem is not riding? ......it’s the example it sets? It encourages others, and others, and others........ and then folk think? .....well if they are not playing by the rules, why should I? ........then it spreads amongst others, and so it goes.

I get freedom, particularly in the US, however I also get the bit about us all being in this “together”.

........but, in a forum, there will always be an opposing view, and you have mine, even though you didn’t ask for it? .......it’s that virus thing again, not minding it’s/my business and just interfering.

No insults intended, just my view. I choose not to encourage others to break the rules because I want everyone to play fair so we can get rid of this thing, or manage it in some way.

No insults taken. I always enjoy a good spirited exchange.

In the US, the overriding objective of all policies to stop the spread is social distancing. While the government wants us to shelter-in-place, they also want us to get out for both exercise and mental heath. Our President down to our local officials encourage us to take isolation breaks and get outside for a change of scenery. As long as responsible social distancing is maintained there is no breaking of rules. Getting out on the cycle without social interaction for a few hours should not present a bad example to anyone. Anyone who sees it that way is looking for something that isn't there.

The breaking of rules and bad examples that you allude to are the people who irresponsibly hang out in groups. We see it on TV constantly -- large clumps of people with little or no distancing found on the streets, and at beaches and parks. Absolute idiots. Thankfully, social shaming is kicking in, and officials are starting to come down hard on the offenders.

If there is something I'm missing, please do tell.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts

Its a game of visual telephone. People head out with the best intentions using common sense and being considerate of others. Unfortunately some idiot comes along and uses that activity to go out on their own, of course lacking the moral compass, common sense, and forethought of the original example, and then it just spirals out of control.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Only Graham County, NC has closed any roads and that is unfortunately the NC side of the Cherohala Skyway... They are freaking idiots, they (Graham COunty) have shut down what appears to be every thing tourist related.. Tennessee ( I live in Loudon County, TN ) has NOT closed any roads nor have they shut down the Dragon, the short portion of it in NC is in Swain County, not the Nazi county of Graham.

Tennessee has enacted drive thru / take out only restaurant eating and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) just closed campgrounds.

Get out support the small businesses. I plan to ride the Dragon this weekend on my new to me GTL!

Piss on Graham County! They have not liked motorcycles for a long time, I have 2 different stories dealing with that county, which are way to long to go into on a keyboard.

Side View of GTL.jpg
Joe. I tend to agree with supporting the small business but at the same time, I respect that we all need to do our bit to get through this while we may not like what is coming I am sure it will only be harder to do a lot of things. I waited near 6 mths.to get my bike and don't like the idea that it could be no riding in the near future at the moment it looks like the Australian Government is looking at a 6 mths shut down of some things and others can keep on trading. England has just announced they want everyone to stay at home and will pay people to comply and stay away from everyone they can. I think we are heading in that direction also. If it slows the virus and the world can get on top of it then that's a bonus. I believe we can all take a lesson from this that we all look after one and another employ our own fellow countries people and not rely on foreign countries as much as we do now.

·
Registered
690 Posts

Thank you, father, and forgive me if I sin, I will repent and will send you a pack of 6 toilet rolls if we could just hold of them lol. Most of the ones I have are stuffed inside my gearbox and making my bike run so quite through all 6 gears including reverse :cool:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Its a game of visual telephone. People head out with the best intentions using common sense and being considerate of others. Unfortunately some idiot comes along and uses that activity to go out on their own, of course lacking the moral compass, common sense, and forethought of the original example, and then it just spirals out of control.
There will always be people (too many) who lack a moral compass and any common sense. Those people don't need any excuse to go out on their own, and they do, regardless of what's going on around them. If I want to get out on the bike for a reasonable ride without being around others, I'm going to do it. At least until the state of California says no and martial law is invoked. As of now, our officials say that isn't going to happen. I'm not one to give in to political correctness, and I'm not going to start now. :)

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
And it could be as simple as this is God's way of thinning out the crowd. Influenza kills tens of thousands of people every year and nobody has a problem with that. And then you have those moron millennials that don't vaccinate their kids and no one has a problem with that either. So just stay healthy and this too will pass. I'm out riding every day and I keep my space by putting everything behind me.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I couldn't find the PER CAPITA by state rate of infection online anywhere. So I threw together some quick ROUND numbers for the "top" states in order of number of infections (not deaths).

New York population 19.4M, 15k cases , 1 case per 1293
New Jersey population 9M, 1900 cases, 1 case per 4700
California population 40M, 1850 cases, 1 case per 21,000
Washington population 8M, 1850 cases, 1 case per 4300
Illinois population 12.6M, 1050 cases, 1 case per 12,000

CA is far less affected than our Governor makes it sound. Let's be smart and specific about the shutdowns. Yes, we should prohibit large crowded gatherings like conventions, concerts, and sports. But we should open other businesses like restaurants as long we lessen capacities so we have personal space. It's ludicrous to tell everybody to stay at home and don't go outside. Parks should all be open. Limit capacity and large events if necessary.

Lastly, it's up to each of us personally to take responsibility for ourselves and our families. I'm personally borderline on the risk scale. So I would continue to stay away from riskier environments. Others here are probably high risk. Again, it's up to you to chose the risk you expose yourself to......just like riding isn't it.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
The MOA Facebook page has been riddled with people gaslighting those who choose to ride. Lots of people shaming others for their choices. I wrote up a post about it and what I thought of it yesterday.

My thing is this. If I am not sick and go for a little ride down 141 to Gateway and back home, who's it going to hurt? For those of you who dont know the road, its 50 miles of mountain twisty road, sparsely populated with cattle ranches and very little traffic. (Theres 100x more cows down that road than people) The turn off is 4 miles from my home off a highway. I live in a rural area and dont have to go through any populated area to reach it. Matter of fact.. The only thing between my house and Gateway is a single stop sign at the end of my road and 50 miles of beautiful pavement.

Again.. who is it going to hurt? Who am I putting at risk if I ride?

I guess its a good thing March is still on the cool side here and riding season hasnt quite hit us yet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only Graham County, NC ...They are freaking idiots,...the Nazi county of Graham.

Piss on Graham County!
Yea!

:oops: And worst of all, it's a dry county! I had to leave my campsite and drive over than **** mountain to the next county and back at night in the rain to get the beer!

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
There will always be people (too many) who lack a moral compass and any common sense. Those people don't need any excuse to go out on their own, and they do, regardless of what's going on around them. If I want to get out on the bike for a reasonable ride without being around others, I'm going to do it. At least until the state of California says no and martial law is invoked. As of now, our officials say that isn't going to happen. I'm not one to give in to political correctness, and I'm not going to start now. :)
You believe your actions have no ramifications and that those others who lack your common sense will just act out anyhow but that's not the way herd mentality works.

I hear you, and like I said, I am sure you have nothing but the best intentions and have thought it through. Political Correctness has nothing to do with it. Are you really waiting for the government to tell you what to do? Do you always or is it just because it's convenient now. ;) That sounds harsh but if we were standing next to each other ( 6 feet apart of course ) we would be both holding a drink and I would be stating this in a joking, conversational tone. I would just be testing your commitment to your statement. Everything I write here is in the spirit of the only kind of conversation you can have from behind a keyboard.. Its just conversation..and of course my opinion.

Sometimes you have to set an example for those around you that cannot think for themselves. The reason this virus is spreading so fast is because everyone just believed that they could continue to go about doing what they do until someone tells them not to. Common sense says that just isn't possible, the data says it isn't possible, and the results prove it just isn't possible. This started with one guy in a market a world away. Look how fast it has spread. I have done my own timeline analysis of the data and the velocity of transmission and the distances covered are amazing in a scary way. Do you really need a government to tell what you not to do? Probably not but that message wouldn't be for you anyhow, it would be for the herd who are just looking for an excuse to go about their daily lives. This isn't about you or me, its about that herd and a health system and the people who ARE dying because people just went out and did their own thing, its about the fact that the system is already at its breaking point and anything that happens from here forward is pure heroism on the part of the medical, emergency, and law enforcement staff who must work no matter what. Its about the factory workers who we need to continue to make masks, its about the folks keeping the food flowing and the gas pumping and the electricity available. I for one won't inject any more risk into an already broken system because it would be disrespectful to all of those people putting themselves at risk for what... so I can feel good for a few hours. No thanks..I will stay home, do my part, use that energy to keep everyone here sane so we can get through this mess. :)

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
If you've ever been to that area you might have noticed that it looks like they have, what, like one Dollar General Store in the whole county for staple goods. My theory is that they isolated themselves from outsiders so that the locals can find toilet paper when they need it.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
From the Chairman of the Graham County Board of Commissioners:

Dale Wiggins
March 21 at 8:42 AM ·
As a result of the countywide declaration of emergency Graham County Government has established an Emergency Mangement Committee. This committee has met this morning and the following decisions have been made and will be put into play over the coming days.
A) Effective Monday, March 23,2020 all accomodation businesses shall close for business at 12:00 noon. Accomodations defined are hotels, motels, cabins, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, or any public rental facility that typically rents for less than one month.
B) By Friday, March 27, 2020 the following highways will be closed or have restricted access. 1) Cherohala Skyway will be closed to all traffic 2) Highways US 129 and NC 28 at Deals Gap will be restricted to local resident traffic and commercial traffic 3) US 129 at Topton will be restricted to pass through detour traffic, commercial traffic, and local resident traffic only. Once the US 74 detour is ended then US 129 will be restricted to local traffic and commercial traffic only. 4) NC Highway 28 going east from Stecoah will be restricted to local and detour traffic only and commercial traffic. Once the detour is ended NC 28 will be restricted to local and commercial traffic only. Persons travelling these highways should be prepared to show a Graham County address or proof of property ownership for non-residents to be able to enter Graham County.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts