BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they have the well documented sudden end off life, but they seem to grip well. I can scrape my pegs with no worries and they have never given me any moments - and they steer pretty well whether one up or two up.

Has anyone got any real reason to not like them?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think performance wise regarding grip in dry and wet they are excellent tyres. I can only get 3000 miles before front is out of shape as it "cups " badly and 3500 and they need replacing

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have my third set of Metzler - so far very happy. Tried Pirelli and Dunlop once: didn't like Pirelli in wet conditions, and Dunlop had a slightly worse handling on twisty roads IMO.
Others may have other opinions. I think it depends on a) your riding style b) your road conditions and c) weather conditions which tyres you prefer.
Dunlops may give you more mileage, but for me stability is more important, as I replace them early anyway - don't want to take any risks.
You'll have to try it yourself.
BTW: I make 4500 - 5000 miles with one set of Metzler, about 6000 with Dunlop.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
The stock Metzler tires had a tendency to turn in on me. Only got 5k from them. The Dunlop's don't and I got 7k from them every time. Try different brand tires until your happy then stick with em.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first post on this forum.

I've just had a demo K1600GT SE for 8 days while my 1200 GSA was having a new final drive fitted. The K16 had Z8 tyres and I was amazed at how agile it was, turning in quickly & effortlessly, holding a very precise line and hugely confidence inspiring both in the dry & wet at lean angles I'd normally be uncomfortable with. I only did 500 miles on it but was so impressed I hope to own a low miles SE model within a week and will take the existing Bridgestone T30 tyres off and replace with Z8's for my trip to Scotland the following week. To me, grip is far more important than how many miles I can get from a tyre. Having consulted my K16 guru who's now on his third K16, he gave the Z8's the thumbs up so I'm sold on them.

What an engine!!! A bike which is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing. Looking forward to owning one.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Z8s only have one problem as far as I am concerned. They have sudden wear syndrome.
Handling is good when new. I just can't trust them on a trip.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Z8s only have one problem as far as I am concerned. They have sudden wear syndrome.
Handling is good when new. I just can't trust them on a trip.
+1, but it's easy enough to change them before I see cords- for me about 5k and change (don't ask me how I know) . So if I'm heading out on a long trip, I know that they need to be changed either before I go or during the trip when I reach that mileage on a set. The tires are so good in every condition that I'd rather give up some useful mileage on them than switch to a lesser gripping, lesser neutral steering tire. I tried PR4's and couldn't get them off fast enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try Avons

Always bought Metzlers and usually got 15,000 plus out of them.
Also, they always cupped and never felt great around corners.
Read the forums and decided to switch to Avons.
Night and day difference. These types grip like tiger claws and so far (6,000 miles) no cupping.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They suck, 4000 miles on rear is pathetic. Left Friday morning from Eureka Springs Arkansas and rear tire looked fine. 200 miles later steel belt has showing down center of tire.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I find it interesting that BMW would fit the Z8's as OEM if they didn't meet and or exceed the K1600 specifications?

Having said that, so far so Good with the handling/mileage to date and will be diligently keeping an eye on tread life lol

:bmw:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm at around 5600 miles with the Z8's on my Exclusive. I think the rear is about to show cord, but the front is still in good shape. I've actually been really happy with the Z8s for traction and stability in wet and dry. I may get better mileage with other tires, but the Z8s are confidence inspiring for my mostly 2 up style of riding.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
When the k1600 first came out in 2011 the Z8's that came on the bike were made of a different compound construction then the ones that come on the bikes now. My Bike (April 2011 build) had the old style Z8's & they were gone before 4000 miles. I went with PR3's after that & loved the handling & tire life from them. I had to install a newer Z8 while on a trip a few years back as it was all I could find. I was very surprised how much better the tire was compared to my first Z8. I did remove it with 6500 miles (Might had gotten another 1000 miles) for another trip as I could not trust it to last the 3000 +- miles trip. I have since gone to the PR4GT on the rear but still like the PR3 best for the front. I'm getting 8 or 9 K out of this setup.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My K1600GTSE cupped the front Z8 badly at 4500 miles, all in a very short space of time.

My local tyre guy (Ex WSB tech) suggested, unless I rode like a Moto GP god, then I need to have a long hard look at the front suspension. Sure enough, there was a black mist of oil up around the front strut, meaning that the cupping had been caused by the tyre contact patch skipping on the road surface as the damping deteriorated. It hadn't got bad enough to notice from the helm & the whole thing is surrounded in plastic anyway, so a right bitch to replace.

Thankfully BMW Warranty stepped up to the plate. Then I switched to Bridgestone T30s, which I liked a lot. Very grippy & allowed the bike to track corners in a very neutral manner. Can't speak for longevity though, but I was told to expect circa 6k, with a fairly even wear rate front/rear.

So, if you suffer premature cupping, get the damper unit checked out.

Ride Safe ................ KEN :k16:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stranded by Z8s

I am 200 miles short of completing a 4k ride and the Z8s gave up the ghost. Wear on the rear was completely through the metal banding and the front was severely cupped. Stranded in a hotel room hoping a local Honda dealer can find a replacement tomorrow. Will I be buying Mets? Only if there are no other alternatives and too far for my wife to bring a trailer.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Z-8s are the only tire pretty much guaranteed not to make it across the country and back, and are the only tires to have stranded us while waiting on replacements. PR-3's are the only way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know they have the well documented sudden end off life, but they seem to grip well. I can scrape my pegs with no worries and they have never given me any moments - and they steer pretty well whether one up or two up.

Has anyone got any real reason to not like them?
The only problem I know of is wear. Other than that they performed well for me.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Z-8s are the only tire pretty much guaranteed not to make it across the country and back, and are the only tires to have stranded us while waiting on replacements. PR-3's are the only way to go IMHO.
Agree. I never would have made the round trip to CA plus 2000 mi of CA road/mountain riding. The PR3's and 4's have served me well.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts