BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 K1600GTL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a 16’ GTL last week and starting to do some additions. When I removed the seat I noticed how dusty/dirty it is under there. Seems as though road grime gets in there somehow. Do any of you have a quick and easy way to clean it up. I hated to shoot water in there with all the electronics but being OCD about a clean bike it’s driving me crazy. Any help appreciated. I tried search but I guess it’s not much of a concern for most (LOL).
thanks

·
Registered
2012 K1600GT
2,239 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
3,984 and counting
Leaf blower.

Joe

Reactions: Dochatley

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have a Russell seat so it comes off with every wash. I don't soap up the area under the seat, but don't try to keep from spraying it with the hose. No issues so far.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don’t shoot water under there due to the battery living there, too. Compressed air, followed by a wipe down with Griot’s Speed Shine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Air compressor first followed by powerful leaf blower to blow out as much water from hard to reach or see crannies . Use straight stream nozzle up close on hard to reach places

Blow til you don’t see any water drops anywhere.
Under most motorcycle seats some owners don’t bother cleaning this area as it is extra work.
Under seat areas is the most frequent accumulation of dust and dirt cause it is an unseen area and requires effort to keep clean.

But we all know cleaning all areas is part of proud ownership, and always let’s the bike run faster…..less weight!

Ninja

·
Registered
2016 K1600GTL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I’ll disconnect battery before spraying and blow dry well before connecting. Should keep electrical safe. Thanks for the reply’s. I feel better about spraying it. Vacuum and blowing didn’t quite get it as well as l’d like.

·
Premium Member
8,078 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Maybe I’ll disconnect battery before spraying and blow dry well before connecting. Should keep electrical safe. Thanks for the reply’s. I feel better about spraying it. Vacuum and blowing didn’t quite get it as well as l’d like.
By disconnecting the battery your service light will come on when reconnected so be aware of that.

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
85 Posts
Greetings,

Other than a good supply of microfiber towels, your fingers and your favorite cleaner/detail spray, etc., you might consider using the following brushes, etc. Detailing spray, ceramic spray, windex, simple green and method cleaner will all work wonders.

Keep the cleaning/detailing on a regular schedule and it'll make the task much easier.

Semper Fi
Paint brush Brush Drinkware Office supplies Fashion accessory

1 - 12 of 12 Posts