BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes, it’s all true. Well, it kind of depends on your bike. Some motorcycles with great big flywheels and big gears, like many Harleys and some BMW Boxers, need the clutch – or at least a little clutch – for nearly every shift. Most sportbikes only need you to use the clutch to pull away from stops and for the shift from first to second gear.

At slow, around-town speeds, we mostly use at least a little clutch to shift anyway; you don’t need to pull the lever all the way in every time you use it. But if you’re steadily accelerating, and especially at WOT (wide open throttle), you’ll find that after second gear, if you roll the throttle closed just enough to unload the driveline, for just a split second, with your toe pressing on the lever, then third gear will slip right in without using the clutch at all. Fourth, 5th and 6th will slip in even easier since the gaps between them are increasingly smaller. Done smoothly, it’s no harder on your gearbox than using the clutch.
Read more about Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Can the quick shifter be to the K1600?
Later K's could be installed with shift assist, I don't think it can be retrofitted to earlier bikes that wern't designed that way

·
Mr.Fix It
7,560 Posts
Chop96 (Greg) has installed a third party, quick shift kit on his bike.

Duane

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hey Chop96, can you chim in here. I have a 2014 GT Sport and would love to add a quick shift if possible. Who are the people that make them? Thanks..

GT

·
Mr.Fix It
7,560 Posts
@GordieT Greg is on vacation in Dubai, returns home tomorrow.

Duane

·
Registered
195 Posts
Recently bought k1600 GTLE, 2012, and I’m sure it has gear shift pro, but how can I be sure?

Also, the clutch bites when it is nearly fully out, with only 24k miles. Is there any adjustment on these hydrolic clutches?

·
Registered
26 Posts
worn clutch?

Recently bought k1600 GTLE, 2012, and I’m sure it has gear shift pro, but how can I be sure?

Also, the clutch bites when it is nearly fully out, with only 24k miles. Is there any adjustment on these hydrolic clutches?
as an automotive tech for over 50 years, on a car when the clutch releases out near the end, that always meant the clutch is nearing the end of it's life.
I don't know if that's true on the k1600, but would like some feedback as well. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2018 GTL has the Quick Shifter fitted from new. It’s very smooth other than if you fade the revs from first to second just as you accelerate away - then the bike stands on its nose I find.

Gear changes down are very smooth I find.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Never managed to do this intentionally. I prefer to avoid shifting without the clutch, don't want to trash the clutch.

I had a few instances where for whatever reason the gears didn't engage and it either thrashed the clutch hunting around or just didn't go in gear at all. Mine has no QS.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts

There was no shift assist, Pro or otherwise, on the 2012 models. Just a standard shift transmission that loves to be used above 4,000 rpm. I did clutchless downshifts on my 2012 all the time. It's a skill though. You can't just jam it down a gear. It requires timing it properly with your speed and some blipping of the throttle to get it smoothly done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't know if that's true on the k1600, but would like some feedback as well. :)
When I took it to local bmw garage and showed “perceived clutch handle issue” to techiguy, he simply assured me it was “normal” on K1600 to engage as mine was and for production year of my bike it did not have gear shift pro...

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
Like Pitts, I've down shifted without using the clutch. There's a knack to it and a knack for up shifting without using a clutch too but with some throttle blipping/ control it can be done smoothly. Years of dirt bike riding helped with learning how to do this. Some may wonder why. I can eat my big Mac while riding? Saves having to put the phone away while texting? >:) I don't believe it puts any kind of strain on the clutch but the gear meshing may get a little noisy if not done right :) By no means do I believe it's a substitute for having shift assist and I look forward to the day I get a chance to see how much fun that can be.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I find Gearshift Assist Pro works really well, but clutchless shifts are fine on a bike without it as long as you don't persistently load the gear lever heavily prior to unloading the drive-train by rolling off the throttle and making the shift. If you do routinely load the gear lever heavily for long(ish) periods prior to shifting you will subject the selector forks to side-thrust which can cause them to overheat and fail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts