BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
great. fluffy.....you pick the password I have used since Compuserve days. I guess I could try "fluffy-cat". Don't tell anyone!
CompuServe, those were the days, 14.4K download speeds over a paid dialup

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
I have used RoboForm for years for passwords and other personal information. This follows me from computer to computer. Since next year when I travel I plan on only taking a I-Pad and not a PC. This is being done to conserve weight and space. I will have to study and learn how to use RoboForm on a I-Pad as well as doing everything that I normally do on a computer. As an added bonus I will get one that is tied to my cell account so it is easier to check the weather and also be able to work from hotel rooms, too many had weak internet this last trip.
With RoboForm changing passwords is easy. I use financial web sites that require you to change your password every 6 months.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
You are dating yourself Mole...

I had strong(ish) passwords even back in the days of 150 baud modems on Vic-20s (and Dec100 dumb terminals) when I perused the BBS'.

I still hold that I feel no worry that someone will hack my forum password (which actually passes many password strength tests., as it is only used in low-security environments that contains data that can be found If you simply google my name or username...

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'll look into it, but I still don't get it.

Yes, I understand the risk if I use the same password for the forum as I do for my bank and other sensitive sites. But I don't. The request from the forum administrator is not doing this to save me from myself anyway. It's obviously related to forum security.....I guess.

Again, I think we all understand there are risks, just as there were in the old days when we handed a waitress our credit card and she disappeared to the back room with it. We all get that identity theft is real and a problem. But it's a fricken motorcycle forum.

Btw, on a related note, the iCloud scares the **** out of me. If it gets hacked...and it will, God help us.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
BTW, how many of you have accounts on forums you have not been on in years? I have never been able to figure out how to close a forum account. So I have passwords out there on forums I'm sure I don't even know I signed up on.

ADMINISTRATOR....can you tell us how to close an account? I looked everywhere I could think of on this forum and don't see how to do it. Do they get automatically closed after some period of rime of inactivity?

I'm actually guessing forums don't want us to be able to so they can show advertisers an inflated number of forum members.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You are dating yourself Mole...

I had strong(ish) passwords even back in the days of 150 baud modems on Vic-20s (and Dec100 dumb terminals) when I perused the BBS'.

I still hold that I feel no worry that someone will hack my forum password (which actually passes many password strength tests., as it is only used in low-security environments that contains data that can be found If you simply google my name or username...
last time I searched my CompuServe came back to me, I hardly appear on the internet maybe 20 pages from my emails and real name (many of the same name that helps hide me) Aaron A Aardvark. Work imposes different log ons which is Royal pain in the butt, outside work I maintain about 10, over different styles of account, and I still have to have it written down somewhere (and thank firefox), really annoys me when my password is rejected as its too strong and a website can't accept it.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
BTW, how many of you have accounts on forums you have not been on in years? I have never been able to figure out how to close a forum account. So I have passwords out there on forums I'm sure I don't even know I signed up on.
Pawn sites ?

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
Questions:
If we can't use Fluffy then what can we use ie: upper and lower case, numbers, numbers that don't repeat, characters? You don't specify any parameters for the password.

If we change our password today what happens when you do the "force a one time reset" will we have to come up with another password at that time?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'm not so smart, so I'm curious. That article is about the forum server being hacked. When the server was hacked, they gained access to forum member information. If that is correct, what is the difference what your password is, they are going to find it, right?

BTW, I'm not trying to be a trouble maker - just trying to learn.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I think the biggest risk on the forum is our PM's. If you do a transaction with someone, and in your PM's may have given out your address, or your paypal account, minus password of course can all be helpful to someone with bad intentions.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
as a password saver, I really like 1password, works on multiple places and is very well done. I hate strong passwords, I think they are designed to make people write them down! The best tip I ever had from someone regarding a work password was to put a variation of your next big Holiday as your password. When you come back from the vacation it is about time to change your password, and put in the next holiday plan....works excellently, and you never have to write it down....

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I remember paying for internet access by the minute in the UK... :(

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
they would have discovered your existing password. One assumes that the hackers have left the building, so your new password will be safe.
Maybe. Good hackers leave software to harvest ongoing info. It's a pretty low risk site info wise but all the data should be encrypted on the server. Never hurts to change passwords once in a while. That change doesn't have to be drastic either, just different. Unless you're a valuable target, hackers move on pretty quickly to low hanging fruit. They generally don't check if you capitalized a different letter or added a number at the end or something. Good the intrusion was detected.

·
Administrator
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
For an actual followup of this issue, please read our site's press release: VerticalScope.com

There are some information that was not included in the article and it's better if you read the rest there.

ADMINISTRATOR....can you tell us how to close an account? I looked everywhere I could think of on this forum and don't see how to do it. Do they get automatically closed after some period of rime of inactivity?

I'm actually guessing forums don't want us to be able to so they can show advertisers an inflated number of forum members.
Contact an Admin/Supermod and ask to have the email removed. We don't delete accounts but to prevent users from spamming our emails and being blocked again, we just remove the emails.

you'll be sent an email to change your password soon.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Oh, dear, lord. a 10-character minimum password with UPPER/lower case, ###s and *&%(^% s? ... for a FORUM? That's way way over the top.

·
Registered
418 Posts
... The first thing that hackers do when they crack someone's password is to try it on other accounts - banking websites, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
That right there is the real problem. I could care less if someone can access my info or log on as me on this site or any other forum I use. Most of the info they could steal from here is easily found anyway. I know for a fact the userid/pw combo I use here has been stolen a half dozen times from around the web. I don't worry because the only places I use it are worthless to hackers and it's an absolute certainty hackers are going to get in and steal the user information from places like this. There is no way I would trust a forum, even a huge site like this one runs under, to be remotely secure. Even if someone picked my user out of the 45 million they stole and researched everything here it wouldn't help them break into my "real" accounts.

But, many people use the same userid everywhere possible and many of those use the same password. If someone can steal it from here and it works on say Paypal then it's just like they stole it from Paypal. If you're one of those people then you need change that password on every vulnerable account NOW! Places like your banks, shopping sites, pharmacys, insurance. Anywhere someone can either access your money or access information that can be used in identity theft. Changing it here is kind of the lowest priority.

I'll change it on all of these forums because I have to and I'll write it down until I remember it. When they get hacked again I'll repeat the process.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
For an actual followup of this issue, please read our site's press release: VerticalScope.com

There are some information that was not included in the article and it's better if you read the rest there.

Contact an Admin/Supermod and ask to have the email removed. We don't delete accounts but to prevent users from spamming our emails and being blocked again, we just remove the emails.

you'll be sent an email to change your password soon.

Lee
Just so you know, I got an e-mail yesterday changing my password on the Goldwing forum. Hard to believe we got our butt kicked by a Goldwing :surprise:

21 - 40 of 134 Posts