BMW K1600 Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Actually, this is my number one hated thing about using a computer.

In the last few years, due to the rules, especially the DIFFERENT rules from site to site, program to program, etc., I have just what is stated here; lots of DIFFERENT passwords to remember. I CAN'T do it. I can write them down, but that is a risk in itself. Almost every time I log in to anything, I have to refer to a text file where I store all my passwords. Time consuming to say the least; and risky, since now someone can hack my computer and get that file. (Hackers, look for a file on my desktop named " everything you need to steal my identity and ruin my life.txt ")

Some of the rules for passwords get really crazy.

At work, for example:
Passwords must be changed every month. Must have a capital letter, small letter, number, and symbol. Passwords can not be reused. Can not resemble the login name, or any other information on the account.

I understand that security is important for clients, but when the IT department has to hire more people just to handle all of the extra calls from clients that can't log in to their account, this has become a problem. A client should have the option to use a password of their choice.

Really, what harm can someone do by hacking my forum account; stop me from being able to log in? That will probably happen anyway every time that I forget my password.

And the not so funny thing is, even with all these security rules, one of my accounts still got hacked.

Again, I apologize, but back in the early 90s someone talked me into getting a computer so that I could do things easier, use less paper, and be more efficient. None of that has happened, IMHO.
Best.
If it were possible to like a post 100 times, I would do so with this one. And one more to add to the above list. What about those of us who have to use some PC-based platforms and some apple-based ones? Change a password on one apple device, and it carries over to all of them. But then how am I supposed to know what I changed it to when I'm not on apple? Take 10 minutes and then go through the reset PW process? Then I'm in on my PC, but won't remember it when I need to pay a bill or want to post on a forum at home on apple.

Someone wanna be the likely wealthiest man in the entire world, no kidding? Then come up with a way for honest computer users to only have to use a single password which can be kept in their human brain, with no fear of being hacked. Multi, multi-billionnaire net worth guaranteed.

If only businesses would learn how much money they're missing out on because sometimes people like me decide that if it's that difficult for me to give them my money, then I won't give them my money at all.

I know much of that doesn't apply at all to this forum, but while the blood is up, why not vent in general?

Ideally, most if not ALL "security updates" would involve businesses updating software and firmware so as not to be hackable, not asking users to have better security by making things incredibly difficult for them to use.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The other day, I kept getting the ...you are not logged in, then the password was not accepted. I reset it several times, and it would log me out, and have to go through it again. It finally stopped doing it the same day, and now I have stayed logged in, like always. I started a post about it, then deleted it, thinking it was me.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Someone wanna be the likely wealthiest man in the entire world, no kidding? Then come up with a way for honest computer users to only have to use a single password which can be kept in their human brain, with no fear of being hacked. Multi, multi-billionnaire net worth guaranteed.
I suggest 1Password (or one of several similar programs). It syncs across all my devices and means I don't have to remember more than one password.

All of my site accounts have different complicated passwords, with the complexity I choose dependent on how valuable the account is. I only need to type in my one master password, which is fairly complicated. Then, my browser will attach the right one for the current website.

Something simple like this site will get a password like this: @okN!YZkM

Something more important, such as a bank website, gets a password like this: atARJQs2f4WJCd=2&y8r*8u.9Uuv6auv&

Of course, my billions are in an account where the password is "password".

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
I suggest 1Password (or one of several similar programs). It syncs across all my devices and means I don't have to remember more than one password.

All of my site accounts have different complicated passwords, with the complexity I choose dependent on how valuable the account is. I only need to type in my one master password, which is fairly complicated. Then, my browser will attach the right one for the current website.

Something more important, such as a bank website, gets a password like this: atARJQs2f4WJCd=2&y8r*8u.9Uuv6auv&

Apple always offers to do this, but I use chrome on PC. As I understand it, this will work across not just devices but platforms and operating systems, as long as the program/app is installed? If so, I’ll sure give it a whirl.

When I stopped trying to keep up with a PW-protected, written Word file of all my PWs, it had about 250 in it. Everyone needs a PW for everything now, and despite it...Equifax...yahoo...and many more big names continue on with the data breaches.

And don’t even get me started on Ashley Madison. :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts

Another one to consider is lastpass. It not only synchs across all devices it will store notes, credit cards, etc.. It works on all the devices and it has an online version so you can be at a friends, login to it and launch a website there without having to remember anything but the one password. Just make sure you close that browser section :)

The main reason I have it however is for the family feature. I no longer do tech support for my immediate and extended families. It also has sharing across the family (with and without the ability to see the password) and an emergency mode where I can take over a member acct in the event that someone is hurt or passes away. You can use it for free to try it out (for as long as you want) and then its $3/month and only slightly more for the family version.

But... just use one. 1password, dashlane, lastpass, there are a bunch out there and they will all make your lives better.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Apple always offers to do this, but I use chrome on PC. As I understand it, this will work across not just devices but platforms and operating systems, as long as the program/app is installed? If so, I’ll sure give it a whirl.
I have it on a Windows PC (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge), iPad, Android Tablet, and Android Phone. I have the family version. With that, I have my private list and my shared lists, one shared with my wife and another with my kids. That way we can have access to the same accounts if needed without having to jump through any hoops.

The contents are shared across platforms/devices in one of two ways. The original method was using dropbox before 1Password had a method to do so share natively. Now, you can share through 1Password's servers. The data in either location is encrypted. The encryption is done on your device so that any potential intercept point is already encrypted. The master password to decrypt the contents is not stored on the servers at all. So, theoretically, your files should safe even if they're stolen.

It (1Password) can store a lot of other stuff too (credit cards, IDs, etc.) but I don't really use it for that.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I have sent an email registered with that account to reset the password.
Let me know if she received it.
If you're still having issues, please PM us.
Thank you. Will give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I have sent an email registered with that account to reset the password.
Let me know if she received it.
If you're still having issues, please PM us.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Tried attachng a screenshot to the PM to show you where the "Reset Password" link takes us (To a "You do not have permission, please login" page instead of a "Reset Password" page) but I am unable to "Manage Attachements" in a PM so I do not know how to attach a picture there....

Here is that screenshot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
WHAT THE EVERLOVING HĘLL IS GOUNG ON HERE?!?!?!?

Trying to get the wife logged in but even the password resets aren't working. Not only do I have to play some stupid fùcking "I am not a robot" video game to get a password reset email sent, when it finally does decide I am not a robot the system send some stupid fůcking messed up password, that even when copied and pasted directly into the "Click Here" link, STILL GETS REJECTED. Now she's locked out AGAIN. This is such horseshit.
Don't be shocked if your password now expires every three days and require 100 characters.:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
121 - 134 of 134 Posts