BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I bought the Polk DB speakers to upgrade my stockers. After removing the factory speakers I noticed the Polks wouldnt screw down easily since they are 4 tab and the factory are 3. I simply used a hacksaw, removed the tabs from the stock speakers, and used them as a hold down tab for the Polks. You'll see it in my pics. I also removed the black cloth installed between the grill and the plastic frame on the speaker surrounds. Its easy enough, just bend the grill tabs enough to remove them amd slip the cloth stuff out. I removed it mostly because it seems to block A LOT of the sound. Anyway, thought this could be useful info.

Nate

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does it sound ?
I am almost ready to do this but would like know if its worth the effort
Way better than the factory crap speakers thats for sure. As cheap as the Polks are its way worth the time it takes to install.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a thread that you might find worthwhile reading if you have a day or so to kill. It's only 835 posts long as of 12/25/19 However there's a great deal of good and viable information to be found in there about upgrading the audio on the K1600.
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-bluetooth-audio/7127-replacement-original-speakers.html
I did go through a lot of that thread. I didnt see anyone cutting the tabs off the stockers, and I didnt want my post to get lost in there lol.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Isn't the purpose of the cloth that BMW uses to cover the speakers to keep water, and full sun off the speakers? I doubt you loose much if any volume leaving the cloth in place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't the purpose of the cloth that BMW uses to cover the speakers to keep water, and full sun off the speakers? I doubt you loose much if any volume leaving the cloth in place.
Im not exactly sure, I think its partly looks, partly for weather. The Polks are marine rated and the box is sealed up pretty good so I'm not personally worried. I kept the cloth just in case I ever decide to put it back in I can. It does for sure block a decent amount of sound.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have completed a couple tasks to my bike so far, new Clearwater Lights etc...
I am thinking of upgrading speakers, and now that winter might be here, I think it could be next project.
So my question, do you have to take off fairings to get to the speakers?
I am just a little lazy right now.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I am thinking of upgrading speakers, and now that winter might be here, I think it could be next project.

Thanks so much
No you dont. Its just the screws for the speaker covers, winglets, and the speaker boxes themselves. It takes about 5 minutes to get them out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks so much
No, you don’t. There are three screws which hold the plastic trim piece and grille around the speakers (two are visible and one also doubles to hold the air intake that is located behind the wing on the side of the fairing). Once you have removed those three screws, the grille pops off exposing the speakers. The speakers are held in place by three self tapping screws which you can see from the front.
I replaced my stock speakers with JBL. With most of these replacement speakers the tweeter is built-in so you won’t be using the stock tweeter.

Reactions: Blmoll and Geoff_3

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, you don’t. There are three screws which hold the plastic trim piece and grille around the speakers (two are visible and one also doubles to hold the air intake that is located behind the wing on the side of the fairing). Once you have removed those three screws, the grille pops off exposing the speakers. The speakers are held in place by three self tapping screws which you can see from the front.
I replaced my stock speakers with JBL. With most of these replacement speakers the tweeter is built-in so you won’t be using the stock tweeter.
Stock tweeter? What year is yours? My speaker boxes had 4 screws holding them together and the glue of course. Mine is an 18.
-Nate

·
Upside Down
1,368 Posts
Indians have a much better stereo system than the BMW and a lot of the guys on the Indian forum also upgraded their speakers to the Polk DB speakers and loved them. I resisted that as I thought my Road Master was fine , but I do hate the speakers on the BMW`s it is another area that BMW could improve on, after all, they have had the same specs for the K1600`s since 2010 and not a lot has changed to make it a better bike by improving the little things that make a big difference. I know if it is not broken don't fix it but after a 10-year run, you would think there should and could be a few little changes such as the stereo, speakers and amp along with an integrated sat-nav. Having said that I still love the BMW Brand, it may not be perfect but what bike is?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Thanks

No you dont. Its just the screws for the speaker covers, winglets, and the speaker boxes themselves. It takes about 5 minutes to get them out.

Thanks for the information, next step purchase speakers, and contact a good divorce attorney?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Thanks for the information, next step purchase speakers, and contact a good divorce attorney?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a ‘12. The speaker box is held in with screws. The speakers, as mentioned above, are glued to the box. A heat gun breaks the glue fairly easily to separate them.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not really. The speakers are small. Shop around and you can find a decent set for between $35-$75. You will also want to line the inside of the speaker box with sound deadening material. You will notice an improvement, but it still won’t sound like your car or home stereo. Still, I play my bike's radio rather than the boom box when I’m in the garage.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and Blmoll

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I agree with you N8RFastBack, it block a lot of sound, but they are there for the BMW speakers since they are not water proof. With the polk you have no problem. I did install the 5 inch plus a separate tweeter and it’s a much better sound system.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Which 5" speaker did you go with? I'm not going to touch the stock speakers unless I can fit a larger driver in there.

Zach

1 - 20 of 23 Posts