BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a shout out to my Australian brothers and sisters regarding the horrific fires raging down there. You're in my heart and prayers. Please, stay safe and may God watch over you and protect you.

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
Just a shout out to my Australian brothers and sisters regarding the horrific fires raging down there. You're in my heart and prayers. Please, stay safe and may God watch over you and protect you.
:crying:+1

·
Registered
157 Posts
Russ, you are spot on in remembering our Aussie mates struggling with their harsh fire conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
"As firefighters remain on high alert, police revealed 103 of the destructive fires that have lashed Queensland since September were deliberately lit.
Figures obtained by AAP reveal 98 people - 31 adults and 67 juveniles - have been dealt with by Queensland police for deliberately setting fires."

If these stats are true, something very disturbing is going on.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"As firefighters remain on high alert, police revealed 103 of the destructive fires that have lashed Queensland since September were deliberately lit.
Figures obtained by AAP reveal 98 people - 31 adults and 67 juveniles - have been dealt with by Queensland police for deliberately setting fires."

If these stats are true, something very disturbing is going on.
I've said it, before, if I were a terrorist but wasn't ready to meet my 72 virgins, just yet, that this is an easy way to hurt the infidels. I like to think that the whole "virgin" thing was a misunderstanding... they meet 72 VIRGINIANS. Politically incorrect? Yeah, so sue me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The very best of luck to our pals in Aus. Beautiful country, I've been fortunate enough to visit and ride there. It's heartbreaking to see the destruction. Huge respect for the brave boys and girls putting their lives on the line 24/7 in their efforts for save lives.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have had about 17-18 years flying Helitack and the current conditions are certainly exceptional in terms of spread and fuel loads.

Enough that I’ve postponed a ride down to Victoria departing today, about 2,000kms which would have been a two day blat through either central NSW (40C in most places) or coastal with road closures, etc. I’ll go in a fortnight when it has hopefully settled down a bit.

·
Upside Down
1,376 Posts
Guys a big thank you to each and every one of you.including firefighters from America, Canada, New Zealand who have come to assist our guys. We have had fires now since late September our official bush fire season always starts in December. The thing is that we have been in drought conditions for over 10 years the heat and lack of water has dried the country out the trees are so dry along with the ground then once a fire starts it does not take long for the area to burst into flames along with embers that can travel miles in the wind and start spot fires then they join to become a megs fire. We don't have the water to fight all the fires due to the drought and lack of dams so the firefighters and crews have to travel further to gather water from where ever they can that takes away a lot of resources for those on the ground. So we have faced fires for just over a 1/3 of the year including this month with no rain in sight to ease the fires, fill our dams etc. we do not expect to have any real rainfall till around April 2020. Some townships are trucking in water and the farmers have been battling to survive a lot have just walked away and may never return. I thank all of you and your countrymen for their help and good wishes on behalf of all Australian`s. Below are a few photos from a week ago things have got worse since then, there is not a state that has not been effected and now the ACT may be the next to have a few problems. Once again thank you so much this won't ever go unnoticed by us Australian`s even though our guys have done the same to help you when you needed it in the past it is nice to know that the friendship between our countries is so strong and we as humans can help each other at times of need.

Attachments

·
Upside Down
1,376 Posts
Photo of my nephew's helo on the ground somewhere in NSW. There is no flying as the viz is about 100 meters. He said when he shot this, the sun had been up almost 2.5 hours.

Please thank your Nephew from all of us Ozzies. That photo is what the guys are against almost every day the sky turns blood red and then once the cloud cover and smoke join the place turns to dark in the middle of the day. plus being our summer they are out in temps of 40c plus that is just the normal summer temp. then add the heat from the fires to that.
Cheers and thank you once again to all.

·
Preema
945 Posts
It’s pretty bad, we’re working in thick smoke, non essential staff stood down. I spent the week sending air and marine assets to assist evacuations and supply runs. Fires are not close so no immediate risk but it’s worse than I’ve seen... And hot! 116°F a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It’s pretty bad, we’re working in thick smoke, non essential staff stood down. I spent the week sending air and marine assets to assist evacuations and supply runs. Fires are not close so no immediate risk but it’s worse than I’ve seen... And hot! 116°F a few days ago.
Donna; good hearing that your OK. Your temperatures are beyond heartbreaking. It's got to be unbearable. Hope those that start fires pay a heavy price. All my best to your firefighters, police and all helping during this catastrophe. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
My wife's company was about to send assets (UAV's) to aid the fire effort, then Iran flared up. They are on hold until someone makes a decision.

The fires are heartbreaking to see. So much loss of life.

Zach

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes: here's an article in The Australian, hopefully not hidden behind a paywall: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/bushfires-firebugs-fuelling-crisis-asarson-arresttollhits183/news-story/52536dc9ca9bb87b7c76d36ed1acf53f?fbclid=IwAR19GRe6-EfbTtP-PiOfHnqmtHRVEXqsYWtnMbtd-bdXsGxTOqhHzqC3nuc

More than 180 alleged arsonists have been arrested since the start of the bushfire season, with 29 blazes deliberately lit in the Shoalhaven region of southeast NSW in just three months.

The Shoalhaven fires were lit between July and September last year, with Kempsey recording 27 deliberately lit fires, NSW Bureau of Crime and Statistics and Research data shows.

Police arrested 183 people for lighting bushfires across Queensland, NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania in the past few months. NSW police data shows 183 people have been charged or cautioned for bushfire-related offences since November 8, and 24 arrested for deliberately starting bushfires.

Queensland police say 101 people have been picked up for setting fires in the bush, 32 adults and 69 juveniles.

In Tasmania, where fires have sprung up in the north of the state and outside Hobart, five were caught setting fire to vegetation. Victoria reported 43 charged for 2019.

Melbourne University associate professor Janet Stanley said arsonists were typically young males, aged 12 to 24, or older men in their 60s.

“There is no one profile, but generally they seem to have a background of disadvantage, a traumatic upbringing and often have endured neglect and abuse as a child,” Professor Stanley said. “They are often kids not succeeding in school, or they have left school early and are unemployed. The boundaries between accidentally and purposefully are unclear because many arsonists don’t plan on causing the catastrophe that occurs. Often there is not an intention to cause chaos and the penalties for accidentally lighting a fire are far less than purposefully lighting a fire.”

Swinburne University professor James Ogloff said about 50 per cent of bushfires were lit by firebugs and impending fire seasons excited them. “They’re interested in seeing fire, interested in setting fire and quite often the information around how fires burn and accelerate excites them,” the director of the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science said.

·
Upside Down
1,376 Posts
Donna take care and looks after your self and those close to you also. Thank you to all your operators also. I think it is so wonderful that in hard times the compassion and help that humans, in general, are willing to help, pull together to help those of us that are less fortunate. Let's pray for some good soaking rain, we need it so badly. It will come but with the ground dried up I would not like to see massive downpours that will cause flooding and runoff of valuable water.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
That's really sick that all these people may have started fires. My heart goes out to the Aussies.

I've visited Oz twice, mostly Sydney and Queensland area. We were actually married in Port Douglas at the Thala Lodge. Sort of a Eco/Adventure wedding/honeymoon diving, river rafting, playing hopscotch with cane toads, and having brekkie on the Esplanade.

I do hope to spend my tourist dollars in this wonderful country again.

Reactions: Geoff_3
1 - 20 of 46 Posts