BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
False economy mate. If (when) the bike goes over the bars pay for themselves. Two hulk hogans could not hold it up if it tips past that point of no return. Trying to stop it will break bones if your lucky... But you’re call. Just let me know when a chorus of ‘I told you so’ is applicable 😊😊😊😊😊
Looking forward to that day when we can all meet up
Lol looks like I can never mention I’ve dropped it to save humiliation on here. I will have a look at them

·
Preema
1,117 Posts
Lol looks like I can never mention I’ve dropped it to save humiliation on here. I will have a look at them
All BS aside, I thought I’d never need them but was convinced to fit a set. On a huge group ride, one clown stopped suddenly and unexpectedly while slow manoeuvring in a car park. (That d#$khead went over too). On full right lock, all I had was the front brake and..... over he went. I was fuming. Wore a few bruises, let loose a torrent of inappropriate slurs on his riding ability, sexuality and mental competence and offered aggressive recommendations on what he should do during any future Yoga / contortionist sessions.

My B was loaded with 10 days of essentials, ie 20 pairs of shoes, thirty changes of clothes and 50kg of makeup and toiletries. He fell onto the guards but with nothing but tyres and guards touching tarmac, Without the guards, I’d have lost a pannier, probably a mirror, assorted Tupperware and soooooo much self esteem. Three big guys helped to right him back on his wheels, and it wasn’t that easy.

25000 km later and he’s not been over again but I’m still so happy I fitted them.

One of the first activities I teach on the learners course is the mount and dismount technique. Here I advise the course that there are two types of bikers, those that admit to dropping their bike at slow speeds or stationary and those that just lie...

I’d never do the ‘I told you so’ but I’d defo be thinking it in my head ;)

Reactions: rsmith

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
All BS aside, I thought I’d never need them but was convinced to fit a set. On a huge group ride, one clown stopped suddenly and unexpectedly while slow manoeuvring in a car park. (That d#$khead went over too). On full right lock, all I had was the front brake and..... over he went. I was fuming. Wore a few bruises, let loose a torrent of inappropriate slurs on his riding ability, sexuality and mental competence and offered aggressive recommendations on what he should do during any future Yoga / contortionist sessions.

My B was loaded with 10 days of essentials, ie 20 pairs of shoes, thirty changes of clothes and 50kg of makeup and toiletries. He fell onto the guards but with nothing but tyres and guards touching tarmac, Without the guards, I’d have lost a pannier, probably a mirror, assorted Tupperware and soooooo much self esteem. Three big guys helped to right him back on his wheels, and it wasn’t that easy.

25000 km later and he’s not been over again but I’m still so happy I fitted them.

One of the first activities I teach on the learners course is the mount and dismount technique. Here I advise the course that there are two types of bikers, those that admit to dropping their bike at slow speeds or stationary and those that just lie...

I’d never do the ‘I told you so’ but I’d defo be thinking it in my head ;)
I’m listening I will order a set. You can still say I told you so BUT it will be a positive one instead of a sarcastic one.
I will order on Monday, that seems to be when most are getting back to work.

Thanks Donna take care

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
Thought I should put something in as my avatar , thought I better not put the GS up on a K forum. So I put Dexter up, he’s a ripper until the bike arrives.

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
I’m listening I will order a set. You can still say I told you so BUT it will be a positive one instead of a sarcastic one.
I will order on Monday, that seems to be when most are getting back to work.

Thanks Donna take care
Hi Donna
1st day back in the Office , Ive been reading about seats and sent Sargent Seats a email to see if they can custom make a seat with a little bit more height, wait for their reply if not i will order the standard set up with back rests.

Question ive also been reading about the pannier bars, what type do you have on your B and what about engine protection bars ? I will do a bit more research on here, just thought i would ask to get your knowledge. Im good with GS info but the K1600 is new to me, im finding my way through so i can set it up straight away.

If you could get back to me , much appreciated.

If anyone else has info would like to know, cant have enough knowledge as i find my feet with this bike

·
Premium Member
'19 K1600GT Silver/Black/Red
148 Posts
Hi @Damian M - I am probably going to put bars on too, before the snow melts here in Alaska and I get to ride again (unfortunately I have a few months yet).

I did this poll to see what most people here are using, it seems like most people go with Ilium or C4 from a member here on the forum. I think I remember at one point @Donna said she was using Ilium, although I’m sure she will set me straight if I remembered it wrong. Based on all the threads here I will probably order the Ilium.

Hope you get your new bike soon!!

Justin

·
Preema
1,117 Posts
Question ive also been reading about the pannier bars, what type do you have on your B and what about engine protection bars ? I will do a bit more research on here, just thought i would ask to get your knowledge. Im good with GS info but the K1600 is new to me, im finding my way through so i can set it up straight away.
Damian,

I fitted the Illium Works rear bars to my B, the engine bars being standard for the model. Look under the floorboards

Illium rear bars - a girl and her spanners | BMW K1600 Forum

I got the bars from Mototoys in Wickham NSW, for $595 delivered. (M O T O T O Y S australia – "improve your motorcycle" ) Its not often I recommend anyone but these guys looked after me well. Illium Works have a great step by step video on how to fit these bars. 33-300BL, REAR GUARD BAR, K1600 BAGGER / GRAND AMERICA (iliumworks.com) They are an easy fit and look like they should be there.

I've tested them and they work. (1) Illium rear bars - tested | BMW K1600 Forum

Best of luck

Donna

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
Hi @Damian M - I am probably going to put bars on too, before the snow melts here in Alaska and I get to ride again (unfortunately I have a few months yet).

I did this poll to see what most people here are using, it seems like most people go with Ilium or C4 from a member here on the forum. I think I remember at one point @Donna said she was using Ilium, although I’m sure she will set me straight if I remembered it wrong. Based on all the threads here I will probably order the Ilium.

Hope you get your new bike soon!!

Justin
Hi Justin

Thanks for the info, appreciate you getting back to me. Is yours a B ? 1 place i will visit in the near future is Alaska. But during Summer not Winter

Yes im currently on the llium works site now placing a order now, bars, side cover and shifter extension.

Regards Damian

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
Damian,

I fitted the Illium Works rear bars to my B, the engine bars being standard for the model. Look under the floorboards

I got the bars from Mototoys in Wickham NSW, for $595 delivered. (M O T O T O Y S australia – "improve your motorcycle" ) Its not often I recommend anyone but these guys looked after me well. Illium Works have a great step by step video on how to fit these bars. 33-300BL, REAR GUARD BAR, K1600 BAGGER / GRAND AMERICA (iliumworks.com) They are an easy fit and look like they should be there.

Best of luck

Donna
LOL I cant look under the floorboards the bike hasn't landed yet, Im getting the bits and pieces based on info on this forum and putting them in the Shed ready for when it arrives.

·
Preema
1,117 Posts
LOL I cant look under the floorboards the bike hasn't landed yet, Im getting the bits and pieces based on info on this forum and putting them in the Shed ready for when it arrives.
I'd check the Sydney site out first - will be heaps cheaper ;)
Procycles, also in Sydney stock the Wunderlich BMW - Procycles

·
Premium Member
'19 K1600GT Silver/Black/Red
148 Posts
Hi Justin

Thanks for the info, appreciate you getting back to me. Is yours a B ? 1 place i will visit in the near future is Alaska. But during Summer not Winter

Yes im currently on the llium works site now placing a order now, bars, side cover and shifter extension.

Regards Damian
Nope sorry, shoulda said mine is a GT, but as Donna mentioned Ilium makes bars for the B too.

Highly recommend visiting Alaska, but agree summer is a little more pleasant. 😎

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
Flew into Anchorage in winter many years ago, went out onto the airport viewing deck, froze a testicle in about 3 minutes 🤭🥶
We Australians need to fly with our pants on Adventureboy, it gives us a bad name stepping off planes with our knickers off

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
Damian,

Best of luck

Donna
Hi Donna
Thank you for the recommendation to contact Mototoysaustralia. I got hold of Rod and purchased the llium rear bars, the infill panels and shifter extension. He was good to deal with.

I also got hold of Sargent Seats via email they are doing a seat with 1.5inch higher than standard. So I will have all the bits and pieces I need sitting in the shed ready for fitting when it arrives.

Thanks for the info.

Santa Clause you forgot my bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Donna
Thank you for the recommendation to contact Mototoysaustralia. I got hold of Rod and purchased the llium rear bars, the infill panels and shifter extension. He was good to deal with.

I also got hold of Sargent Seats via email they are doing a seat with 1.5inch higher than standard. So I will have all the bits and pieces I need sitting in the shed ready for fitting when it arrives.

Thanks for the info.

Santa Clause you forgot my bike.
From memory, Santa and KBW aren't that fond of bikes 🚴‍♂️🤔

·
Preema
1,117 Posts
I just happen to have every one of KBW's albums, converted to MP3 and I ride listening to them occasionally, very occasionally. 👸

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
75 Posts
I just happen to have every one of KBW's albums, converted to MP3 and I ride listening to them occasionally, very occasionally. 👸
KBW is good for a giggle, as you say only occasionally. Im not a Goody Goody far from it, some of his songs are a bit Awkward.

Im on the GS 1250 r Exclusive today, riding around Melbourne checking the construction sites we are working on. Getting ready for the guys to start back Monday. Riding the bike around town makes a days driving my 4WD to the sites, to half a day riding. Its so much quicker.
I take my time around town, ride in my own space.

This ride im doing with some mates in March, the organizer rang me last night. We are heading to Jindabyne via Mountain roads from Victoria, then he mentioned, from Jindabyne head to Pambula ( is that a good ride ? ) I haven't gone that way before. This is based on Border Closures

·
Preema
1,117 Posts
Depends which route you decide to take. There are a selection of fantastic rides from the mountains to the coast that way. I've done the Dalgety run a few times, they have a bike show up there every year. The Mt Darragh road is my pick for the run from Bombala to the coast ;)

21 - 40 of 78 Posts