BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently dropped my bike but when it went down, the engine kept running. I had expected some kind of crash sensor to shut it off our shut off the fuel pump. Does that not exist on the K1600?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
So did my ST1300. Tested it a couple of times. Actually there was a recall on the early 1300's. The oil damping in the switch would wick out and allow it to activate while the bike was in motion. This would cause the motor to die. The key had to be cycled off and on to reset it.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The good news is virtually no damage to the bike. The 2 crash bars took the impact Only damage was that the end of the shifter lever was bent up slightly. Easily straightened.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Harley has that feature. They don't lean those bikes over as far, they shut down the motor if they tip over.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

My old Suzuki had that feature too. If tipped over the gas would spill out of the carb float.:grin:

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
I recently dropped my bike but when it went down, the engine kept running. I had expected some kind of crash sensor to shut it off our shut off the fuel pump. Does that not exist on the K1600?
No, thank you... Last thing I want in the middle of a Whip is for the engine to shut down.

:lol2:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Lean angle sensor, doesn't mean that the ECM used the data to determine tip over. My old Harleys had a mechanical tip over switch. On some bikes it rattled loose and gave you headaches..........
It would be a bit ridiculous if BMW has the hardware in place but did not program the bike to recognize a drop and shut the engine off. Not saying this isn't the case, just that it's ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
While on tour in Germany, one of our riders had a tipover on a K1600GTL. I don't know if the engine shut down immediately, but after righting it and starting the engine, it wouldn't advance above idle until the "SOS" system was reset remotely by BMW. I've not seen that feature on American bikes.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The good news is virtually no damage to the bike. The 2 crash bars took the impact Only damage was that the end of the shifter lever was bent up slightly. Easily straightened.
Thanks to the crash bars that reduce impact , I can tell you I had a drop way back in 2017 and the plastic etc cost me over or I should say the insurance company over $11,000.00 AUD in parts etc. That was just from a standing drop after a car pulled out in front of me , I had to stop quickly and then my foot slipped allowing the bike to drop over. Once I got the bike back I soon bought crash bars for the front and back I found after trying different types that the Wunderlich were crap they sent me 3 sets and none fitted correctly and the rear ones rubbed on the rear saddlebag lids when opening. I settled for the OME from Engine bars and Illium Works rear luggage bars, that were fantastic. They will be going on my new GTL once BMW releases it after a new paint job on them to make them look like new.:wink:

Reactions: RDeweger

·
Registered
190 Posts
A new (2020) wethead GSA with the TFT dash will shut off if dropped in a parking lot with people watching. An older (2016) wethead GSA with the analog dash will stay running under the same circumstances. DAMHIK

I was amazed to find that a high tech bike designed from scratch in the 21st century didn't have a feature that my 1972 Honda had.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That is a big minus for BMW !!!!. You would think it is a no brainer with a bike company like BMW. That should be in any bike....period. with today's electronics, it is a simple cut off to build/design.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can't remember completely, but I think mine was still running after sliding down the road, with the cams exposed, and header pipe being ripped from the head. I seem to remember having to turn the key to turn it off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts