BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
If your head is going to get any bigger, its going to pop. Valentino Rossi your not.😁
After having chased @Gunnert through southern Appalachia, I can affirm the riding skills are real. Even 2-up, he can ride at a pace that most can only envy.

I’m not offended by his direct statement of truth. That’s what we’re here for.

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
492 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I haven't ridden a B but a buddy of mine wrecked his first one trying to keep up with me on the GTL. They're not create equal in handling I think.
More likely, the riders are not created equally!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I remember claiming to be fast as I entered my 2nd race school back in 1991 at Road America. I pushed that GSXR 600 further than it could go until the instructor showed me just how wrong I was, lol :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: josephdfrick

·
KBiK
2015 K1600GTS
2,299 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Wow! What an arguement about.. what? If you want a faster bike, there are alot of other choices than the K1600 platform.

Now let's discuss which K1600 model has the most miles riden, because really, that is what it is all about.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You better ride both...all 3 versions are different with the B/GA being the most deferent from the other 2.

GT - Taller seat, more aggressive seating position (still comfortable), less passenger room by 2"(fixable), better handling feel due to position, no top case (must buy)
GTL - Shorter seat, more relaxed position, more passenger room (wider/longer seat), slightly less feel in handling feel due to position (for aggressive riding), top case
B/GA - Even shorter seat and ground clearance, floorboards, even more relaxed position, less lean angle, noticeably less stable going fast (HW), speed limited, looks like a bagger vs Tourer/Sport Tourer

I think the GTL and B/GA are the closest in purpose...more relaxed comfort focused, so if considering B/GA then a GTL is probably in the comparable, not a GT. The GT is the most aggressive as these things gets, still a tourer but hanging all to a much Sport as it can.

I still thing the GTL is the one most people should buy 85% of the time. If you are into more fast, curvy and speedy riding, mostly by yourself, then a GT may be for you. If you are a slower rider, comfort focused but like strait line acceleration, have issues with reach from the seat, easier passenger mounting the bike, or just like the bagger look, the B/GA is for you. If you get the B/GA, just know it is not going to do all the stuff the GT/GTL does...not made for that...and that's OK.

It comes down to priorities and what each bike is meant to satisfy...Good luck you can't go wrong!
Outstanding Review and I agree with you 100%. I really liked the look of the B/GA with the black engine but the comfort and stability of the GTL was the deciding factor.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2013 BMW K1600GT-P in Montego Blue
407 Posts
Outstanding Review and I agree with you 100%. I really liked the look of the B/GA with the black engine but the comfort and stability of the GTL was the deciding factor.

Good luck with your decision.
There was a yr that the GT had a black engine...my Fav!

Reactions: josephdfrick

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wow! What an arguement about.. what? If you want a faster bike, there are alot of other choices than the K1600 platform.

Now let's discuss which K1600 model has the most miles riden, because really, that is what it is all about.
I agree. After looking back through the thread, I might have found where it first veered off topic and into how fast one could ride one model faster than the other as opposed to the positives and negatives of the two models. Personally, I like them both !! This should go over like a lead balloon :censored:

If you think I'm exaggerating then you should follow me on curvy roads sometime. And I'll spot you; I'll have my wife on the back. :) :) :)

Duane

I haven't ridden a B but a buddy of mine wrecked his first one trying to keep up with me on the GTL. They're not create equal in handling I think.

Coyotek

·
Registered
2018 K1600 Grand America
108 Posts
I’m certain already asked, but … sold CVO Harley (weight), trying to figure out K 1600 GT. I’m have trouble sorting thru the specs and finding what the “B” designation gives. Help?

I have an ‘18 B/GA that I absolutely love. 24K miles on her. Bren Tuned. Different windscreen. My past included a flying Brick K1200, and a 1200 RT; and I still have my Y2K Harley Wide Glide. I do the twisties moderately, have seen 147 mph, have a lady on the back occasionally, and am so glad I didnt settle for a Goldwing! Its a lifestyle for me. Highly recommended.
I run Pirelli Angel GT2 “A” series tires on my RT and GA, and got 17K on the last set… Ride one. A HD will never darken your door again! 👊🙏😝

·
Registered
787 Posts
I’m certain already asked, but … sold CVO Harley (weight), trying to figure out K 1600 GT. I’m have trouble sorting thru the specs and finding what the “B” designation gives. Help?
The B gives you a forward footboard, without the forward controls. Stretching out and gotta shift? Can't have both. The Grand America doesn't have forward control either. What's American about that? I don't know any Harley that has a forward footboard without forward controls. What's the diff between HD, any HD, and a K1600? The K1600 is for guys who want to race with their hair on fire and break all the speed limits, the HD is for the laid back guys who know that the K1600 does twice the speed any sane person would not do in the US (80 is reasonable in the US, 160 on the GT is just nuts). It is a touring sport bike, in any config, excepting the 200 pound wife can be comfy in back, on the GTL, negating sporty riding (so why the K1600 motor? HD riders don't have to ask that).

·
Registered
227 Posts
The B gives you a forward footboard, without the forward controls. Stretching out and gotta shift? Can't have both. The Grand America doesn't have forward control either. What's American about that? I don't know any Harley that has a forward footboard without forward controls. What's the diff between HD, any HD, and a K1600? The K1600 is for guys who want to race with their hair on fire and break all the speed limits, the HD is for the laid back guys who know that the K1600 does twice the speed any sane person would not do in the US (80 is reasonable in the US, 160 on the GT is just nuts). It is a touring sport bike, in any config, excepting the 200 pound wife can be comfy in back, on the GTL, negating sporty riding (so why the K1600 motor? HD riders don't have to ask that).
I would say the GT is for the hair on fire guys. The b is for the guys that want to be laid back at times, but catch fire others and the GA is for the ones that the wife wont let out of her sight. :{)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too swapped from HD to BMW, last one was an Ultra Classic. I did it because of my last HD from 10 years ago I bought new wasnt that much different from my Dad’s 2019 Ultra. I’m 49 and had 3 back and neck surgeries and can’t ride his Ultra more than 20 min before I have to get off. I put 1000 miles on my 2020 GA in 3 days back in early summer. Whichever bike you chose ergos are gonna be life changing coming from any HD (I owned 5), handling ( Ultra Classic is like wrestling a steer in curves compared to my GA), and smoothness (that 6cyl vibrates as much at 80 as it does sitting still). Another thing folks don’t mention and this applies to all 3 bikes is heat management, sit on Harley in traffic for awhile and then on a K1600, see which one wins you over. As others have said, all about what you are gonna do with it, but never get off my GA without smiling when I turn back to look at it.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts