BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 6,500 miles the tires were shot so I decided to order and install some RS3s. The rear tire went smooth. (I am new to bmw). I was thrilled to see how easy it was to remove the rear tire from the bike. Super slick. Easy to break the bead and install new rubber on the rim. No issues or complaints. Then I moved to the front and realized that I need an inside out socket to remove the front axle. Hmmm. A little weird and I didn’t have any bmw tools yet. So I dug through my junk drawer and found a 22mm bolt and threaded a nut on and marred the end. Problem solved. Front tire went real smooth after that issue. 42psi on both. I tried the pinch bolt technique and I have a 500 mile ride to my nearest dealer for the service and ecu update. Got my bren in the mail today so I will get that up after the ecu update tomorrow. Then send it off for my new maps!

I’ll report back about the new tires and pinch bolt install to see if the left lean goes away.

Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Bridgestones come in two variants, the GT has stiffer side walls for the weight of the bike so are considered harder to mount. Are RS3s similar ?

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Maybe it's just early, please refresh my memory. What's a 'pinch bolt technique'?

Duane

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice job on the tires. I've always shied away from doing them myself because of the balancing. What did you use for that?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
At 6,500 miles the tires were shot so I decided to order and install some RS3s. The rear tire went smooth. (I am new to bmw). I was thrilled to see how easy it was to remove the rear tire from the bike. Super slick. Easy to break the bead and install new rubber on the rim. No issues or complaints. Then I moved to the front and realized that I need an inside out socket to remove the front axle. Hmmm. A little weird and I didn’t have any bmw tools yet. So I dug through my junk drawer and found a 22mm bolt and threaded a nut on and marred the end. Problem solved. Front tire went real smooth after that issue. 42psi on both. I tried the pinch bolt technique and I have a 500 mile ride to my nearest dealer for the service and ecu update. Got my bren in the mail today so I will get that up after the ecu update tomorrow. Then send it off for my new maps!

I’ll report back about the new tires and pinch bolt install to see if the left lean goes away.

Enjoy the ride!

How did you balance the wheels?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I learned on my other bikes to leave the pinch bolts loose after tightening the axle. Mount the bike, hold the front brake and compress the front suspension a dozen times then tighten the pinch bolts. It’s supposed let the tire find its natural center.

I just rode 200 miles and the left lean is gone for now. Straight as a string so far!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Normally I use my tusk balancer but i bent the shaft last time i moved. So I didn’t balance them yet. I just lined up the yellow dots with the previous tire and left the weights on. They rolled out nice on this ride. I will check them on my buddies balancer tomorrow. Sometimes i get all anal and chase tenths of oz to get it dead nuts. Other times “close enough “ didn’t seem to make a bit of difference. YMMV

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bridgestones come in two variants, the GT has stiffer side walls for the weight of the bike so are considered harder to mount. Are RS3s similar ?

I am not aware if rs3 has a gt version. These spooned on pretty easy in my opinion. Lots of lube and small bites with the spoons. The beads broke really easy on the stock tires.

I need to get a big allen wrench for that front axle and I still haven’t figured out how to remove the valves. They aren’t like all my other bikes/cars.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Then I moved to the front and realized that I need an inside out socket to remove the front axle. Hmmm. A little weird and I didn’t have any bmw tools yet. So I dug through my junk drawer and found a 22mm bolt and threaded a nut on and marred the end. Problem solved.
How did you get the proper torque on the axle upon reassembly?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
I need to get a big allen wrench for that front axle and I still haven’t figured out how to remove the valves. They aren’t like all my other bikes/cars.
Here is a universal front axle hex tool at Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Jecr-17mm-Motorcycles-Spindle-Motorcycle/dp/B076T3HL1L/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=22mm+front+axle+wrench&qid=1571518497&sr=8-1

If you're talking about removing the valve core in your tire valve a standard removal tool will work. Yours may be in tight right now but I have several tools and they all work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How did you get the proper torque on the axle upon reassembly?

:confused:
By my well calibrated forearm? I probably didn't. I just gave it some kentucky windage based on the pressure it took to remove it. I will properly torque it tomorrow. BTW, what is the torque spec for that one?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
219 Posts
By my well calibrated forearm? I probably didn't. I just gave it some kentucky windage based on the pressure it took to remove it. I will properly torque it tomorrow. BTW, what is the torque spec for that one?
37 ft lbs for the axle
14 ft lbs for the pinch bolts
21 ft lbs for the caliper bolts

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Not nearly as much as you might think... Seeing as how this value sets the "squeeze" pressure on the bearings, it is pretty important to get the torque on the axle right. Make it too tight and you will destroy your wheel bearings in short order.

Front Brake Caliper - T-45: 28 NM Torque - 20.65 ft lb
Pinch Bolt (ONLY LOOSEN RIGHT SIDE!) - T45: 19 NM Torque - 14 ft lb
Wheel Axle - 50 NM Torque - 36.88 ft lb
Front Fender - T-30

1 - 20 of 22 Posts