BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having just recently purchased an air vest, I find it curious that most of them have pouches for the armor type back protectors - mine actually came with a thin foam protector. The vest also has pockets for chest protectors too (which they sell).

I contacted the manufacturer about whether I need an armor type back protector while I am riding with their air vest and I never really got a good answer from them (They likely didn't want to get sued for giving advice that winds up hurting someone).

So, I am wondering how many of you guys (and gals) that ride with air vests also add an armor back protector either in your riding jacket or the air vest. It seems redundant to me but maybe I am missing something? I guess there is a remote chance that the air vest may fail and not deploy and the armor would be your only defense and/or there might be an instance where you would fall and the tether may not get deployed but those seem unlikely.

I have plenty of high quality Level 2 armor back protectors in my various jackets and I have always ridden with one but was thinking that I didn't need one now with the air vest and it will probably be an uncomfortably hot combo in warmer temps in addition to the added weight and bulk.

Opinions?

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Tech Air from BMW (Alpinestars Air Vest) has the vest and back protector, the air canisters are in the back protector. I would find it very strange to ride now without a back protector.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the helite turtle 2 comes with a Level 2 SAS-TEC back protector - i took the back protector out of my jacket as i dont think i need 2 but i do think you need at least 1

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the helite turtle 2 comes with a Level 2 SAS-TEC back protector - i took the back protector out of my jacket as i dont think i need 2 but i do think you need at least 1
I took mine out of my jacket too but no one has 'splained to me why I need any sort of back protection in addition to the air vest which is a back protector in and of itself. I tried the Helite and the Hit-Air and wound up buying the Hit-Air. Both of the models that I tested had one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I took mine out of my jacket too but no one has 'splained to me why I need any sort of back protection in addition to the air vest which is a back protector in and of itself. I tried the Helite and the Hit-Air and wound up buying the Hit-Air. Both of the models that I tested had one.
I guess for me the airvest will deflate and will protect the initial impact but nio if sliding, so to me it covers more situations

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
There are two kinds of airvests as you know. Electronically actuated and physically actuated. Neither is foolproof. The electronic ones have two different event modes , one for street and the other for race. The race mode senses a typical race get off which is a low or high side (sudden increase in yaw/pitch/roll) the street mode is biased towards impact detection, (sudden increase in G-Force). There are going to be situations where the vest may not inflate right away. A slow, low side in street mode for instance. I am just making that up but the fact that there are two modes means that there are expected activation events in each of the separate modes, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with some scenario which is a mix. Similarly the lanyard based vests require separation from the vehicle. There are situations where you may not become separated but do need protection. Then there are those times when either you didn't charge the battery or failed to hook up the lanyard. Better to have something..

Neither system is perfect, either is better than just armor.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

My main concern is summertime riding and getting too hot with the addition of the air vest.

I agree that there might be instances where the air vest doesn't inflate or may not stay inflated long enough.

Will see how it goes this summer.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts