BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
However, how does that affect map updates for current devices? Even if an updated map is available for a device, if the matching map is not available for BaseCamp (doesn't transfer from the device after it's updated), very bad things happen when you try to plan a route. I found this out recently after updating my device but not knowing that I have to separately update the maps in BC to match. I planned a long route for the wife and I from IL to NC and back. It randomly dropped multiple fuel points from my routes and we had a terrible time navigating. Between her motorcycle and mine, our max range was 150 miles on a tank. I had every fuel stop planned to accommodate that. We had to figure out fuel stops on the way instead. If no map updates for BC are available in the future, you will be either limited to the current map on your device or BC will quickly become effectively useless.
Right. It must be able to use current maps to be of use in the future.

Most likely Garmin will not change the map format but there is no guarantee especially if they start officially calling it "unsupported".

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ugh. Just when i get my entire history converted into basecamp! Oh well, I’ll check out some of the above. I do multi day planning, review rides, etc in basecamp and I was really looking forward to a 64 bit version for Mac to solve all my problems (hey, a guy can dream, right). Looks like that ain’t happening.

I can live with a web based app, if it works well enough. I’d actually prefer a good tablet app as it’s far more portable/bike friendly, could be available offline and the interface conducive to route planning. But Scenic didn’t do it for me - I may have to try again.

I’ll be backing up all my files in GPX or another ubiquitous format NOW, however, while basecamp still works on my machines... not going thru a format remapping nightmare again! And/or worse, potential data loss.

I’ll report back on any experience with other products, hope others will too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
I still use the unsupported MapSource.
I use both. Basecamp for planning, MapSource for transferring JUST the data I want to my 478. After coming up with a plan, I copy/paste the route and necessary waypoints from Basecamp to Mapsource then do the transfer.

Also use MapSource to transfer maps to the GPS whenever there is a new update.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I went to the site linked by Pitts and at the bottom of the page it says: "* BaseCamp development has been discontinued." That may be different than the fact that they are discontinuing BaseCamp. If RL is still using MapSource than there's hope that BaseCamp will be around for a while too:) Not sure how much fun it will be to go through the learning curve of their new Explore Website. If it's anything like the joys of learning BaseCamp...

One issue they have is BaseCamp is not a 64-bit application. Fairly soon Apple will stop supporting 32-bit apps and that means no Mac OS X support. While, based on comments I've seen, most of you use Windows, it's still a bit deal. In fact, BaseCamp came from the Mac OS developers.

I'm not happy about this myself because usually I would toss BaseCamp on a cheap laptop and I could regardless of where I was plan or re-plan routes based on changes. Many time my internet access plain sucks on the road. This isn't going to help at all!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Yeah needing internet is a pain, but in this day you can have internet in some form almost everywhere to get a route built if needed on the fly.

I don't know about you, but I find hotel/motel internet a crap shoot. If you're camping, internet is mostly out of the question except via your phone and usually quite slow in remote areas if you have a signal at all.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Yep. I read it the same way.

Joe
As long as the map updates will continue to be recognized by Basecamp and the computer operating systems will work with it, then we can probably use Basecamp indefinitely......

I agree this is the read, however, as I stated in another reply. Mac OS X is nearing the point where it will stop recognizing and running 32-bit apps like BaseCamp. Right now when you startup it already warns you of apps that are 32-bit (and yes, BaseCamp falls into that category). Not a huge problem (yet) for you Windows folks, but Microsoft has mentioned the same thing. At some point they will stop supporting 32-bit apps as well. Either you then run an older OS with many vulnerabilities, or you stop running your 32-bit apps. Don't know about you, but as a developer I know which path I would take.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't know about you, but I find hotel/motel internet a crap shoot. If you're camping, internet is mostly out of the question except via your phone and usually quite slow in remote areas if you have a signal at all.
I stay in about 75 hotel nights a year and find internet almost always acceptable. Sure there are sometimes it sucks and yeah camping or in remote areas it can be impossible but on the whole it's not an issue to get internet to manage a route while traveling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
I've been using GPS for ride planning, documentation and for road and off-road rides since 1999. With each new generation of GPS and software the use is "simplified" to allow for the casual user to be more comfortable with the capabilities of GPS use. For the nerd side of me, each new generation is more of a disappointment because I lose more and more control of the exact route I want to ride.

Garmin stepping back from their software makes sense in this day of Google Maps, Waze, etc... Simple software that takes the planning out of ride routing. Software that uses algorithms instead of experience.

I suspect that I will return to paper maps for my planning. To use the GPS to know exactly where I am, and to have a number of important ride waypoints stored.

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I saw this thread, I was really disappointed. Like others, it took me some time to be proficient using BC. It is a bit clunky and not the most user friendly, but after watching a few you tube videos and through trial and error, I'm having fun with it. I will be the first to admit that I'm a big GPS geek. I really enjoy playing around with BC, planning all kinds of routes (that I may never use), importing GPX files from other users, web sites and magazines (really like Road Runner). Our bikes are designed for long mileage, multi day / week / month trips. One big advantage is the built in NAV unit, to me this really makes the whole touring thing so much better. I plan my routes for all of my trips (I may modify or use a different route all together, but it's great to have it). I've been a fan of the GPS units over the cell phone based units just because of the possibility of not having cell service in some areas. I find myself using a combination of google maps, paper maps and GPS to make my routes. But at the end of the day, I use all of these tools to create the route in BC and transfer to my NAV 6. Like I said, I really do enjoy creating routes and playing around with BC (yes, I know what you must think!). Anyway, I hope that we can continue to use BC for some time, or until Garmin makes a suitable replacement / upgrade - hopefully a stand alone program (like BC) or an APP based program that is a powerful as BC. Ok, my rant it over.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
As others have mentioned, those of us on OSX likely have a shorter runway than the windows crowd. ExpertGPS for windows used to be my goto before moving to OSX. I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Could you transfer to a BMW Nav from within the ExpertGPS program?
Nothing special about putting gpx files on the BMW nav. Windows and Mac treat it like removable storage, you can just drag and drop a file to the nav. So as long as that program can export a gpx file you can load it on to your Nav.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
...Windows and Mac treat it like removable storage, you can just drag and drop a file to the nav.
Garmin is going to find out what Mac already has: they won't be able to compete with Google when it comes to on-line mapping or the simplicity of just using a phone. I already use Google Maps and Google Earth most of the time for QUICK, EASY, GPS planning most of the time when away from my laptop or desktop. To be honest most of my planning, other than destination, goes out the window as soon as I leave my driveway anyway. :grin:

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I've been using GPS for ride planning, documentation and for road and off-road rides since 1999. With each new generation of GPS and software the use is "simplified" to allow for the casual user to be more comfortable with the capabilities of GPS use. For the nerd side of me, each new generation is more of a disappointment because I lose more and more control of the exact route I want to ride.

Garmin stepping back from their software makes sense in this day of Google Maps, Waze, etc... Simple software that takes the planning out of ride routing. Software that uses algorithms instead of experience.

I suspect that I will return to paper maps for my planning. To use the GPS to know exactly where I am, and to have a number of important ride waypoints stored.
One small correction, and I know when you said 'experience' this is not what you meant. Waze makes route decisions based on the combined, near-real-time actual experience of the drivers around you. The more specific activity Apps (skiing, biking, cycling, etc) are starting to incorporate that plus real world experience data (road conditions, route ratings, historical data for traffic/weather/etc).

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
As I understand the Basecamp GPX files, a route that is created in Basecamp has lots of "ghost points" plotting out the entire route that are saved to the GPX file when saved/transferred in Basecamp. If you use Furkot or some other program to create a GPX file, and load it directly into the NAV (not using Basecamp or Mapsource) it may or may not have all those "ghost points" so when the NAV calculates the route, you may wind up with something different than what you created in Furkot or another program.

Also, you are using different maps: The one inside the NAV and the one that you used to create the GPX file (not a Garmin product).

This is why I always create my routes in Furkot, export as a Garmin GPX file, load it into Basecamp, have Basecamp recalculate and then send it to my NAV. You also get Basecamp and the NAV synchronized to the same exact map (assuming you have done this).

As I am a Win10 user, I plan to use Basecamp until either the maps will no longer update in Basecamp or the Windows software won't work with Basecamp - which may be many years.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
As I understand the Basecamp GPX files, a route that is created in Basecamp has lots of "ghost points" plotting out the entire route that are saved to the GPX file when saved/transferred in Basecamp. If you use Furkot or some other program to create a GPX file, and load it directly into the NAV (not using Basecamp or Mapsource) it may or may not have all those "ghost points" so when the NAV calculates the route, you may wind up with something different than what you created in Furkot or another program.

Also, you are using different maps: The one inside the NAV and the one that you used to create the GPX file (not a Garmin product).

This is why I always create my routes in Furkot, export as a Garmin GPX file, load it into Basecamp, have Basecamp recalculate and then send it to my NAV. You also get Basecamp and the NAV synchronized to the same exact map (assuming you have done this).

As I am a Win10 user, I plan to use Basecamp until either the maps will no longer update in Basecamp or the Windows software won't work with Basecamp - which may be many years.
I don't think it is about 'ghost points' I think it is a byproduct of the plotting engine in use. A hiker-centric application like basecamp is going to want to naturally take a step, save a point while plotting the route. Think about how you give directions, you don't say 'Take a right, drive 10 feet, drive 10 feet, drive 10 feet, you say take a right drive x number of miles, take a left. Newer mapping engines tradeoff step to step accuracy for more flexibility in re-routing and memory/disk efficiency ultimately resulting in greater speed/efficiency. It is also about maturity, basecamp has been around for awhile, these other mapping applications may or may not have found the sweet spot in data organization/overhead vs speed. As we integrate more data types into the system you will start to see adaptive solutions that place extra datapoints where they are necessary (navigating a construction zone without leaving the route) but sparse data where it is appropriate.

You can effectively use Basecamp forever if you freeze your OS at some point and use a virtual machine to run the last known good OS/Application (basecamp) combination. There are lots of free ways to do this such as Virtualbox.

·
Registered
488 Posts
...You can effectively use Basecamp forever if you freeze your OS at some point and use a virtual machine to run the last known good OS/Application (basecamp) combination. .....
CompuServe's still-active forums are finally shutting down.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/14/compuserves-still-active-forums-are-finally-shutting-down/

Think I'll go to my closet and break out my old TRS-80 and dial up modem and see if I can effectively use Compuserve :grin:.

Yes, I also used Mapsource for years following Garmin's move to Basecamp.

Tom

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
You can use the Open Street Maps to build and download custom maps for your garmin device. These also work for routing, planning, etc...without the need to pay Garmin for the maps.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Wasn't it some time ago that Google Maps updated their API and BC no longer interfaced with Google Earth? There used to be an option to have Google Earth open and then open up the exact location you were looking at from BC. I found that feature very helpful when planning routes as it allowed me to verify from satellite pictures that the road surface of some of the secondary roads was paved. I haven't been able to make that work in a while, and with support for BC ending, it looks like that feature is dead for good. Sad.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts