BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
That's not winter, that's almost balmy. :smile:
Maybe so, but I could have done without the 40mph direct right crosswind and the inch or so of ice under the snow....

:frown:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a heads up for you that use Garmin Base Camp on a Mac. The new Mac OS, Catalina, does not support 32 bit software. My latest version of Base Camp was 32 bit , so if I upgraded to Catalina it would not have ran BaseCamp. I did look for basecamp upgrades and discovered that the newest version does support 64 bit. I suggest any using Mac to upgrade base camp to version 4.8.4 before upgrading your OS.

·
Registered
310 Posts
...The new Mac OS, Catalina, does not support 32 bit software. My latest version of Base Camp was 32 bit encryption, so if I upgraded to Catalina it would not have ran BaseCamp. I did look for basecamp upgrades and discovered that the newest version does support 64 bit....
I could be wrong, but I don't think encryption has anything to do with it. It sounds like you're talking about software versions being either coded with 32 bit instruction or 64 bit instruction. Most modern processors are able to execute programs with 64 bit instruction, and Windows has been available in 64 bit for quite awhile, and it has also been able to run the 32 bit applications if need be. The 32 bit and 64 bit refer to the amount of memory being accessible, as fare as hardware goes. Encryption is a whole other animal dealing with keeping packets of data secure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=cmo7YxRdRB1DDl1JAWuEV8

Basecamp is a pretty quirky application but it is feature rich and has been getting the job done for me for the last several years. I have literally hundreds of tracks, imported GPX files, routes, POIs, etc - maybe thousands. I can export all of that into GPX files so maybe it's time to review the alternatives that are out there for basecamp.

What are you guys that are power users doing for planning, archiving, and managing your GPS guidance for your epic journeys?
They aren't getting rid of the horrible Basecamp for automotive and motorcycle GPSs, just for some of the handheld units.

"For a list of other Garmin devices compatible with the Explore website click here. Devices that are currently supported by BaseCamp will be continued to be supported in that application."

BTW, Basecamp SUCKS! It is the worst mapping and routing software I have ever used. They need to create something like the old Microsoft Streets and Trips. It was so much easier to create routes by just dragging the line where you wanted it. In Basecamp you have to create a ton of waypoints first. And other options I have heard about require export/conversion/import, etc... Such a PITA! Come on Garmin, give us something user friendly!

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
BTW, Basecamp SUCKS! It is the worst mapping and routing software I have ever used. They need to create something like the old Microsoft Streets and Trips. It was so much easier to create routes by just dragging the line where you wanted it. In Basecamp you have to create a ton of waypoints first.
Point of Order: Basecamp most certainly allows you to "drag-n-drop" (aka: rubberband) your route without needing creating a single waypoint...

:confused:

Reactions: jfink and TPadden

·
Registered
535 Posts

BTW, Basecamp SUCKS! It is the worst mapping and routing software I have ever used. They need to create something like the old Microsoft Streets and Trips. It was so much easier to create routes by just dragging the line where you wanted it. In Basecamp you have to create a ton of waypoints first. And other options I have heard about require export/conversion/import, etc... Such a PITA! Come on Garmin, give us something user friendly!
Wow, lack of skill in a product produces some very interesting rants. It's so easy to drag and drop route changes in Basecamp, I can't understand your point? In fact, in my opinion, Google maps could take some lessons. In Basecamp, there's a drag function, a move function and a delete point function all with a click of the mouse. Not trying to defend Basecamp, but the point you made is sooo inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Point of Order: Basecamp most certainly allows you to "drag-n-drop" (aka: rubberband) your route without needing creating a single waypoint...

:confused:
Yep, that is the way I do it all the time.

I'll be the first to say it is very unintuitive and the interface leaves a LOT to be desired, but it is incredibly powerful. I've yet to find another routing app that could handle some of the trips I've taken.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also use MyRoute app as it can create routes etc. It can also import routes from Basecamp that I can then import into the app and used the navigation on my phone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try Myroute app.
Its really easy to use, accurate and gives you the ability (with gold membership which is cheap) to match up routes with Tom Tom and google maps etc. so that all of your group have the same routing no matter what base map their system is using. They offer a free trial. it also will load automatically into your GPS unit with one click.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/home

61 - 72 of 72 Posts