BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone carry a battery booster in case your battery dies while you're on the road? I bought one at the Lebanon MOA rally. Had an occasion to use it after having the bike sit in TN for a couple of months. It didn't work. The battery is in an awkward spot and I couldn't get a good grip on the battery. When I pulled it out a bit, it really didn't do squat for it. Works well on my R75 and Triumphs though. Looking for another solution to tuck into the side case.

· Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,732 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10340 mi
Do you have an SAE pigtail hooked up to battery? Could another pigtail work with your battery boost? It’s a thought.

· Registered
2016 K1600GTL
140 Posts
Anyone carry a battery booster in case your battery dies while you're on the road? I bought one at the Lebanon MOA rally. Had an occasion to use it after having the bike sit in TN for a couple of months. It didn't work. The battery is in an awkward spot and I couldn't get a good grip on the battery. When I pulled it out a bit, it really didn't do squat for it. Works well on my R75 and Triumphs though. Looking for another solution to tuck into the side case.
If a battery is dead dead or bad cell it can be tough to get it going again with any kind of jump system. Best to just replace.

· Registered
2022 K1600GT
145 Posts
Do you have an SAE pigtail hooked up to battery? Could another pigtail work with your battery boost? It’s a thought.
Those SAE pigtails for battery tenders usually have a 7.5 amp fuse because the wiring is for a trickle charger, not a jump starter. I have installed a heavy gauge version on my dual sport bike to be used as a jump start port.
It won't work for that purpose unless it was designed to.

· Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
131 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I carry one in the car and on the bike when I travel. Has a case and takes up little space.
Harbor Freight.

View attachment 172792
I carry something like this, mine happens to be Anti Gravity brand name. The battery terminals on my 2022 GT are easily accessible under the seat, it's not clear why you couldn't get a good grip with the clips.

· Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at that approach, but mine has an odd plug on the end with big clamps on the other. The wire is also considerably thicker. I suppose I could cut off the clamps, but I'm nervous about doing that when there's no guarantee it will work and won't fry the smaller wires.

Nope. When my battery starts to have trouble turning the engine over I replace it. Also I never use a tender. If it can't hold a charge for a few months it's gone.
This is a great idea when one is close to a store. When the battery dies in the middle of Montana, it's not a reliable option. I go to the doctor if I get injured and am near one, but I also carry a tourniquet just in case. Same with the booster.

Reactions: josephdfrick

· Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,732 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10340 mi
I looked at that approach, but mine has an odd plug on the end with big clamps on the other. The wire is also considerably thicker. I suppose I could cut off the clamps, but I'm nervous about doing that when there's no guarantee it will work and won't fry the smaller wires.
I was suggesting carrying an SAE plug with short pos and neg marked bare wires that the clamps could be attached to for the jump when the two SAE connections are joined together. I don't know if the gauge of the typical SAE wires is sufficient for the amp load. That's a likely limitation. Still, something similar could likely be rigged with heavier gauge wire and a different quick connection, perhaps.

Reactions: josephdfrick

· Premium Member
4,440 Posts
This is a great idea when one is close to a store. When the battery dies in the middle of Montana, it's not a reliable option. I go to the doctor if I get injured and am near one, but I also carry a tourniquet just in case. Same with the booster.
That is my point. If you leave it on a tender it will mask a poor battery. When I headed up to Alaska earlier this year I installed a new battery instead of babying my 3 year old battery.
If we just pay attention the battery will let you know it's getting old.

· Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is my point. If you leave it on a tender it will mask a poor battery. When I headed up to Alaska earlier this year I installed a new battery instead of babying my 3 year old battery.
If we just pay attention the battery will let you know it's getting old.
What's your plan if that new battery dies while you are in the middle of nowhere?

Reactions: Prince

· May My Blackberry Rest In Peace
4,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Matt has a good point.

Even new batteries fail. I got 13 years out of a battery on my wife's Ford Focus.

Sometimes it is a crap shoot. I believe a battery on a trickle charger lasts longer.

Bottom line is, if you fell you need to change your battery then change it. Peace of mind is worth something.

· Premium Member
4,440 Posts
What's your plan if that new battery dies while you are in the middle of nowhere?
The same plan if my fuel pump quits working. The same plan if my engine dies for no reason. To be honest I have never had a battery, or any mechanical problem that stranded me in my 55 years of riding.The only time I've been stranded is when I've smashed my bike. Now that has happened several times. :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
1,894 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Pop start it?
Doubtful, the ECM has min voltage requirements to even boot.

The easiest thing to do is change the battery every two years and don't worry about it. I have an awful lot of miles on 2 wheels and have never had an issue on the road by only doing proper maintenance.

· Registered
24 Posts
Get extra long battery terminal bolts from Yuasa. The booster clamps can get a good bite with these tall bolts sticking up like a pole, no they do not dig into the underside of the seat pan. Normally most battery bolts are 15 mm tall. the long ones are 22 mm tall . use a nut mid shaft to tighten down the battery cable loop. I ordered mine from summit racing for 1.99 a 2 pac. Have done this to all my bikes for easy booster clamp use. Even worked once when AAA gave me a jump.

· Premium Member
197 Posts
If a battery is dead dead or bad cell it can be tough to get it going again with any kind of jump system. Best to just replace.
TRY THIS!
Before you discard that old battery…when you have neglected it and allowed it to go into deep discharge.
When that battery dies/gives up/won’t take the charge/doesn’t want to know,
This worked for me on several occasions,with the old lead acid batteries,even the new AGM.
Immerse them about 3/4 way in hot water for about 15 minutes.
It sometimes awakens them again.
Don’t ask me why…its not my area of expertise.
Give it a shot…who knows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts