BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Exide 19ah BMW branded gel battery failed yesterday. It was 11months old.
Was a bit surprised as I have a maintenance charger on the bike. An optimate 4.
The exide product information booklet says to only charge with V~14.2
Google searches suggest that gel batteries can be damaged by leaving them on a maintenance charge once fully charged.
So maybe my use of an optimate 4 did not help? The 4 is safe however according to its handbook for gel battery types.

Of interest, when the battery failed to start the bike, I switched display over to voltage. Where in only 1 minute I watched it fall from 10.5 to 9.1 where it stabilised. New Exide went in at 12.3 volts and old one on bench still 9.1 today.

Bike had not been ridden for about 4 weeks before battery failed.

What maintenance chargers do folk use ?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You should have a 12 m warranty with an Exide battery, so take it back/invoke the guarantee if you haven't done so already. The new battery should read at least 12.6v new, fully charged.

Like you I use an Optimates when the bikes are standing idle & I've never experienced problems with gel type batteries; these have been commonplace for years now. However I have been sold used bikes with dud batteries, where the battery has likely been left to run flat during storage & has been fast charged or jumped to get a start. Invariably these have one or more cells failing & they simply won't deliver sufficient CCA to start the bike reliably - just insist on seeing a CCA test if in doubt.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Agree, full warranty replacement.
After full charge, then after an 8 hour complete rest, the resting voltage should be no less then 12.4 VDC.
Check your tender voltage output.
Note, I had a newish battery fried because of my failed Battery Tender was OVERCHARGING the battery to 14.8-15.8 volts.
They replaced the tender for free but not the battery.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Usually I charge them 1 time a week and all is fine for many years.
However this summer I left several Bikes unattended and am now paying the price.
Since I learn from my mistakes the smart chargers are staying on all the time.

Ian

·
Registered
476 Posts
I prefer not to use one of those battery tender type chargers. I have friends that swear by them but there batteries don't seem to last any longer than mine. I'll start and run the bike for a bit every few weeks. If I know the bike is going to be unattended for a longer period, I'll disconnect it and touch it up with a charger, usually a few minutes is all it takes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just put away all my bikes and ATVs for the Winter. I try to fill them all with non-ethanol gas, then give them a double dose of Marine Stabil as insurance for any ethanol gas already in the tanks and then put them each on battery chargers. I don't touch them until next May when I get them out so that's 6 months on battery tenders. I do my snowmobiles the same storage preps and they are in storage for 10 months. I still have the OEM batteries in my 2015 and 2016 Kawasakis and they are still good to go...

Most of my bikes, ATVs and snowmobiles use the same batteries so I usually keep a few on hand in case a battery craps out. I consider batteries a consummable, just like tires. I buy Yuasa dry batteries with the acid separate and don't add the acid until I am actually going to use it. That way I don't have to worry about the date of my battery.

I've been doing it this way for years and have been happy with the results each May...

·
Registered
13 Posts
My battery just went bad (only about a year old). Everything comes on when I hit the button but not enough juice to start it. The manual says only use a BMW charger, is that BS? Can I put it on a battery tender via the charging port without damaging the electrical system, as the manual states?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Dave.(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts