BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

This year, I had to sell my 2014 R1200R Dark White as I could no longer bend my knee enough to ride. I have been interested in the RT, and K1600 for a long time, with the K1600 being a much more drooled over bike for myself.

I love two wheels so, given my knee bend issue, I was considering a HD cruiser. I absolutely love some of the sounds those bikes make.

However, after receiving some treatment, I am able to bend my knee more. Therefore, I am likely shunning the dark side and sticking with my favorite brand, as I believe they engineer the best bikes.

So, hello, here I am. Shopping and lurking.

Currently eyeing a 2013 and a 2014 GTL, but for the life of me, can't see a difference.

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
There pretty much is no difference in the GTL from 2012-2016 other than somewhere along the line keyless ignition and hill start assist was added.

In 2017/2018 quite a bit was changed like the faring plastic and Shift assist and reverse was added. If you can spring for the cost of a newer bike then checking out the Bagger models, like Donna suggested, might be worthwhile for you knee issue.

Also the GT version gives a different sitting and foot peg position which may or may not help your knee out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys , me too im new in the forum

I’m Gigi French living in NY now , been looking for a k16 from longtime and now I’m finally getting a 2014 k16 with very very low mileage , very excited and was wondering how to increase the most the foot position for long long hauls

·
Registered
986 Posts
@Brian - hello sir, we look forward to following your journey.

@Gigi - get the =K= and then come back and specifically discuss your foot-position concerns. Happy travels until then sir.

Look forward to both of you becoming part of the =K=lub!!

Reactions: Darbinco

·
Registered
96 Posts
Howdy,

This year, I had to sell my 2014 R1200R Dark White as I could no longer bend my knee enough to ride. I have been interested in the RT, and K1600 for a long time, with the K1600 being a much more drooled over bike for myself.

I love two wheels so, given my knee bend issue, I was considering a HD cruiser. I absolutely love some of the sounds those bikes make.

However, after receiving some treatment, I am able to bend my knee more. Therefore, I am likely shunning the dark side and sticking with my favorite brand, as I believe they engineer the best bikes.

So, hello, here I am. Shopping and lurking.

Currently eyeing a 2013 and a 2014 GTL, but for the life of me, can't see a difference.

May want to add the Ilium Works highway pegs to stretch out for longer trips. Mine are attached to their engine guards but I think they also make a kit for the BMW guards.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife has the ilium works highway pegs on her K1600GT and loves them!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I put on the Altrider engine guard on as well as their foot pegs. With the highest seat I could get away with and using the pegs to stretch my knees from time to time...it made the GTL perfect for me. I bought a used 2016 that came with a low seat, I'm 6' 4"....felt like a catcher before I made the changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts