BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting sick of the winter so I'm checking maps looking for good day long rides out of Boston. Anyone ridden to the summits of either Mt Graylock or Mt Tom in western Mass? Look good but I'd rather avoid riding the brake the whole ride down if that's what it is. Thanks

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yes, ridden all over there, Mt Tom would be a waste of time, there's no "summit" to go to. I would ride Rt 9 all day long however, it's a blast to ride. Take the Mass Pike and pick up Rt 9 just outside Worcester and ride Rt 9 all the way across.That's a great day ride.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
@Frank in Boston if you want a great ride from where you are (and there are plenty of choices), from Mt. Tom, ride north toward Wilmington VT, get on RT 100 and follow it up. It is one of the best roads in New England.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Route 9 out, top of Mt Greylock for a stretch, Rt 7 North to Rt2 and head back to Boston. Nice little ride.
And yes, Rt 100 is outstanding all the way up.
Do all that in the warmer weather with a tent and you got a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
@Frank in Boston if you want a great ride from where you are (and there are plenty of choices), from Mt. Tom, ride north toward Wilmington VT, get on RT 100 and follow it up. It is one of the best roads in New England.
I think he's talking about a day ride from Boston, it'll take him @ 2 hours just to get to Mt Tom. Although Rt 100 is awesome for sure, might be more than a day ride for him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been up and down 100. Spent a long weekend in Dover VT last August. Great riding around there, down toward Bennington, over to Saratoga etc. Just looking for day trips out of Boston. 300 -400 miles or so. Haven't seen much of the Berkshires so I'm hoping to head out that way. Would like to head up the Maine coast toward Lubec, Campobello Island, though that will probably involve an overnight. How's Maine's route 1 past Bangor area?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Been up and down 100. Spent a long weekend in Dover VT last August. Great riding around there, down toward Bennington, over to Saratoga etc. Just looking for day trips out of Boston. 300 -400 miles or so. Haven't seen much of the Berkshires so I'm hoping to head out that way. Would like to head up the Maine coast toward Lubec, Campobello Island, though that will probably involve an overnight. How's Maine's route 1 past Bangor area?
I did a 6 day up to the Bar Harbor area last summer, we took rides up Rt1 and it's brand new black top, very nice. Took our time getting up there and riding around then slabbed it home 700 miles in one day. Great trip

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Big caution on the Maine coast; do it before the crowds arrive. When the crowds are in, I tend to head north and west for my day trips. I save the coast rides for pre- and postseason

Image hours upon hours of pulling in your clutch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been in York, Kennebunkport in the summer. Good places to avoid. I was thinking further up. Does it stay like that? I've never gone further than Ellsworth.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mount Greylock is a great ride. It is a good 3 hours out of Boston via Route 2.
Route 2 is an OK junior slab from about Ayer West.
Route 2 west of 91 (Greenfield) is the mohawk trail and that is awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts