BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the best battery for my K1600GTL. I called interstate dealer...no luck with optima.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Best is a funny word.....search "battery" up in the search box and see what people think and then make up your mind. I have an Odyssey and it's working awesome after replacing the stock battery a few years back.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Agree with @Jonnybow, very subjective question. I too am a fan of and have an Odyssey battery in my K1600GT.

Duane

·
Registered
14 Posts
Best battery question is up there with best oil question. Odyssey has worked well for me, but I know also people who have used cheap Wal-Mart batteries and haven't had any issues.

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
Odyssey has been great, make sure you get a compatible charger

I use my Battery Tender Jr. charger on the Odyssey PC680. No known problems.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bought my Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 in May, 2016 and have no problems. It replaced the 680, which I replaced under warranty once. I went through two 680s, but I think it was because I never let them "warm up" before starting the bike, and more likely, had a discharge problem.

And just because I am a fan, here's what Ryan has to say.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
@Busted, you went through a stock and 2 Odyssey batteries in 3 years ('12-'15)? Wow! I'm at the other end of the spectrum WRT lithium, e.g. less than optimum power when cold, some require special chargers, and the increased fire/explosive potential of lithium.

Duane

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all gents. The red battery recommended is awesom and straight forward. I received the newest date possible and it works great. Thanks again, as I'm new to the forum.

·
Registered
471 Posts
@Busted, you went through a stock and 2 Odyssey batteries in 3 years ('12-'15)? Wow! I'm at the other end of the spectrum WRT lithium, e.g. less than optimum power when cold, some require special chargers, and the increased fire/explosive potential of lithium.

Duane
Yep. Well almost. Just re-checked. I bought the 680 on January 12, 2015. And the Shorai was bought on May 9, 2016 - I mis-typed 2015 above. In 2016, I replaced the 680 under warranty but decided to order the Shorai. The 2d 680 is sitting in my garage, I guess so I can test the shelf life. It was fully charged when I replaced it, and after 45 months, I should probably go recharge it.

Lest one get the wrong impression, I am a fan of the 680, had one on a K1200, and no issues. That is why I put it on my k16. Why did it die, along with my stock battery? Obviously there was some other issue.

Thinking about it some more, I had an SEA pig tail attached to the battery that, I think, would somehow and discharge the battery in 3 days, or randomly, in a few hours. I know I bought jumper cables in the Florida Keys because of the starting problem. When I took that pigtail off, the discharge problem disappeared and I quit carrying the cables.

So I probably discharged the deep discharge 680 many times, and I promise I never properly recharged it per the above instructions.

Also, one only gets so many discharges/recharges, regardless of how slight. I never let the battery "warm up," ride about every day, and stop/start the engine at our local 3 minute stop lights. While that is a lot of discharges, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't killed my batteries so quickly.

All that to say, I think the Odyssey 680 will work just fine. I know the way too expensive Shorai will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts