BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May have been a topic already discussed. I briefly searched past threads, and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so here goes:

Corbin vs. Russell Day-long.

Rider and pillion opinions please. New to the bike, but wasn't expecting to be saddle sore after just 2 hrs... and the wife says she's experiencing the apparently common sliding forward.

Been reading up on seats, and these two seem to be the top discussed for cross county comfort. Someone in a FB group I asked recommend a "local" place, but I think I'd prefer a company with a long history and a world wide reputation. Doesn't mean I'm set on that decision, so if anyone knows a company near the Chicago area, I'm open to check them out too.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
Russell or Corbin? Surely yea jest... There is Russell and then there's the rest...

Duane

·
Registered
505 Posts
Russell Day Long. End of story as I've had both. My stock GTL seat was good for a day ride with stops. I did a 560 mile day when I first got my GTL, and I thought I was going to die. My first ride with my RDL was a 600 mile day, and I felt perfect at the end of that day. The next day I did another 400 mi. I've now done a number of multi-day trips with big miles on my RDL. No issues, not one. I just got back today from a 315 mi ride. It was hot and miserable on the way home, but the seat was fine. I'll never own another touring motorcycle without putting an RDL on it if it's available.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
RDL, great seat for the K1600. Great results front and rear. Wife is good to go for 10/12 hour days with no sore rear. One adjustment was needed for rear because of sliding forward issue. Rider front seat is comfortable for me also with no discomfort.
Only negative for RDL for me is the feel of riding a couch. Its just not motorcycle feel. I have a GTL and if I had a GT I would pick a different seat.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
As everyone else has said, Russell all the way. Be warned though, they tend to start getting busy this time of year, and can book out several months ahead.

Corbin seats are known to be quite hard, which does work for some people but really doesn't work for most riders.

Russell will build the seat to your weight, riding style, and preferences. It does add some height which is good if you have the inseam for it, and can be difficult if you don't. They do make a less-tall seat, but you sacrifice the internal support wings. Still better than stock though.

And still way better than Corbin.

Reactions: TCinWA and Gunnert

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I have a Corbin on my Kawi Versys and RDL on my K1600. The Corbin is fine for my around town riding on the Kawi but doesn't even come close to my RDL. Cross country comfort....go RDL all the way.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
RDL, great seat for the K1600. Great results front and rear. Wife is good to go for 10/12 hour days with no sore rear. One adjustment was needed for rear because of sliding forward issue. Rider front seat is comfortable for me also with no discomfort.
Only negative for RDL for me is the feel of riding a couch. Its just not motorcycle feel. I have a GTL and if I had a GT I would pick a different seat.
I have the RDL Sport on a GT. GREAT seat for comfort and easy to get off of for hard cornering. @6'1", 255 lbs, I've done 1000+ miles days on the Russell Sport and can't imagine anything being 'more' comfortable.

Duane

Reactions: TCinWA

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the RDL Sport on a GT. GREAT seat for comfort and easy to get off of for hard cornering. @6'1", 255 lbs, I've done 1000+ miles days on the Russell Sport and can't imagine anything being 'more' comfortable.

Duane
Nice, do the wings that run up the back of your legs feel funny compared to the normal saddle feel? I suppose that extra support is what makes it day long.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
@Riderman I have no comparison with a full size Russell. Compared to a stock seat the Sport offers thigh support and a 'bucket' that gives me all day comfort.

Duane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome input! Thank you. I think the decision is made, lol!
I noticed that they conform to your needs. I'm not sure exactly what my "needs" are, other than more comfort... I do notice I naturally slouch while riding and find myself having to force a more of an upright comfortable position. I also "squirm" a lot, trying to find the right spot. How are they at translating what may work best for me?
Side note: I am a 32" inseam, and can flat foot w a slightly bent knee. (I think I may have a low seat) Not too worried about having to tip-toe.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
First let me say that Corbin makes a quality product. However when it comes to long distance riding in comfort the Russell is in a class all its own. I've had both seats, and the RDL does a far better job at keeping you comfortable. In all fairness I spent nearly 2K on the seat for my 14 GTL/Exclusive which included replacing the armrest covers, passenger backrest and headrest also adding a backrest for the operator all in leather. It's the best 2K I spent on the machine. 1000 miles in a day are not limited to my seat comfort.

The stock seat only got me about 150 miles before I had to stop. It was the equivalent to a medieval torture device for me.

The Corbin was good for a bit more then stock, but for different reason. The Corbin is a very hard seat and takes a long time to break in, and even then it was still very stiff.

The RDL fit like a glove from the day I installed it 6 years ago, and still feels that way.
When I purchase my seat seat from them I probably wouldn't add the operators backrest since I rarely, if ever use it.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
I'll add my ONLY regret I have with my Russell Sport seat is I didn't buy one sooner!

Duane

Reactions: kotr

·
Registered
226 Posts
Russell Day Long is the only seat I will spend my money on. I have tried every seat there is, nothing comes close to a RDL.

·
Premium Member
2013 K1600GTL
69 Posts
Hi all, not to throw a monkey wrench in the discussion but...I happen to have a Corbin butt. I've had them on three bikes. My last one I rode up to Hollister and had it custom made for my Road King. Moved me closer an inch and added 2 inches on both sides. I did many multiple hundreds of miles days on that. I now have an appointment on 22 Apr to have one made for the GTL. Very excited. Here's my last one.

Here's what I've designed on the Corbin site.

Duff

·
Registered
20 K1600B
294 Posts
I’m getting ready to order the RDL Sport seat for my B. Had the Day Long on my old RT, worked good for me all day..! Hopefully the Sport seat will get me closer to ground !

Duff, that is a good looking Corbin you are getting..nice design

·
Registered
433 Posts
I, too am a Corbin guy. I prefer a firm seat to a squishy version. I had a Corbin on my GA, but it set me too far back (about 2" back from stock.) I sold the Corbin and got a Russell Day Long since no other manufacturers had a seat available for the GA at the time. Other than the shipping and wait time for the RDL, I am happy with the seat and would recommend it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts