BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm in the minority here. Out of the box, for my European slightly heavier ass, the best out of the box seat is Wunderlich. Definitely better than Sargent, better than OEM GT, light years ahead of the OEM GTL high seat.
No need for a custom seat at this moment, I'm good for 10 hours riding days.

·
Registered
173 Posts
2014 GTLE with exactly the same concerns you had. Wife complained of sliding forward and driver seat was too low and sucked on long rides.

Took photos, talked with Russell, sent off my seat to them and crossed my fingers. Came back perfect. Moved me up a bit, moved her back maybe 2” and changed the internal tilt for her so sliding is nearly gone.

Yes, it’s a bit weird at first - tractor seat cup-like - and you have to slide forward consciously at stops since otherwise it is tricky to put feet down. But you quickly get used to it.

In the past I’d go about 125 mikes before I was screaming to get off and walk around. The RDL doubled that easily, to the point that you have to manage your stops yourself for health reasons rather than motorcycle butt issues.

Best bike upgrade ever since Windjammer sold fairings! Go for it.

·
Techmeister
K1600GA
2,367 Posts
I will add one last metric; no more monkey butt. I cannot explain it except to say that I can ride days-on-end without once getting the damned welts on my arse and waist. Monkey but would drive me crazy the way it can itch. Perhaps it is that I also changed my underwater to those really silky ones that make me feel pretty. Or perhaps it is my Klim onesie. But I no longer get monkey butt.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
There is no question that at least on this forum, RDL is the most popular option out there. I test rode a used GTL that had an RDL and I have to say it felt good. The wings felt a little weird, and I didn't like having to slide up to manage stopping the bike, but based on what others have said, it looks like most get used to it.

I only bristle when it's inferred that it's the only true day long option out there. There are other seat builder that do a great job too. I'm on my third Bill Mayer Saddle (RT, LT, GTL), and there will be a fourth if the time ever comes. I've done several 700-900 mile days (sometimes in succession) with no issues. The seat has never been a limiting factor.

I'm not pushing Bill Mayer by any means. Seats are an individual thing, and apparently the RDL is as sure a bet as you're going to find. My only message is that there are other options out there. Do your research and make your best decision based on individual needs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Russell or Corbin? Surely yea jest... There is Russell and then there's the rest...

Duane
Always a hot topic. I'm a Corbin guy but I also put miles on a bicycle so my back end is conditioned somewhat. The idea behind a firm seat, as opposed to one that is heavily padded, eliminates high and low spots. Weight is distributed evenly across the entire saddle. There is no tendency to continually reposition oneself to find a comfortable section of the seat. Comes down to preference.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
@SJM0815 , spoken like a man that's never tried a Russell. I get it, I was of the same opinion for many, many years; e.g. until I tried a Russell.

Duane

Reactions: afhorsley

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
The idea behind a firm seat, as opposed to one that is heavily padded, eliminates high and low spots.
Except the high and low spots are on your backside. Sitting on a piece of plywood doesn't help there. :)

Weight is distributed evenly across the entire saddle. There is no tendency to continually reposition oneself to find a comfortable section of the seat.
That's true, if the seat is property shaped.

Ever notice how proper all-day seats kinda look like those old metal tractor seats? It's because that's the way your butt is shaped.

Ever sit on a sandy beach, just enjoying the waves and the scenery, then got up and looked at where you where sitting? You'll see that exact same shape.

When you spend all day sitting on a metal tractor seat, a leather saddle, or a motorcycle seat, that's exactly the shape that you want because it spreads your weight over the widest surface area and keeps you the most comfortable.

Russel Day-Long seats work by using a better shape, better padding, and internal wings that cradle and support you by spreading your weight evenly along the backside and upper thighs.

For true all-day comfort, you also need to pay attention to what you wear between you and the seat. Your outer riding gear should be comfortable and breathable, with no seams anywhere near where you sit. Your inner layers should also be seamless, breathable, and stretchy enough to avoid bunching up.

Comes down to preference.
Agreed, which is why we have so many choices. Still, you can clearly see the majority preference in this thread...

·
Registered
‘18 K16 GA (sold) waiting for my RT
547 Posts
Seats are like helmets, its all about the fit. When I rode my KGA home from the dealer, ~150 mis., I found the stock seat typically horrible and when I arrived home I called RDL and the lead time was too great as I was going on a 2 week trip and could not bear the stock seat (I am 5’9” and weigh ~190 with all my gear on) I then called BMS (Rocky Mayer) and they could build me a seat in time for my trip. I ordered a rider and pillion and do not regret it at all. I also have a BMS on my 9T.
On my GTL and Indian Springfield I had/have RDLs and I’ve already ordered an RDL for my RT, which I am awaiting arrival. I ordered the seat on 3/25 and was given a build date of 7/1. I also like the removable backrest you can get with the RDL and I have both regular and special order backrests from my last RDL seat.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Seats are like helmets, its all about the fit. When I rode my KGA home from the dealer, ~150 mis., I found the stock seat typically horrible and when I arrived home I called RDL and the lead time was too great as I was going on a 2 week trip and could not bear the stock seat (I am 5’9” and weigh ~190 with all my gear on) I then called BMS (Rocky Mayer) and they could build me a seat in time for my trip. I ordered a rider and pillion and do not regret it at all. I also have a BMS on my 9T.
On my GTL and Indian Springfield I had/have RDLs and I’ve already ordered an RDL for my RT, which I am awaiting arrival. I ordered the seat on 3/25 and was given a build date of 7/1. I also like the removable backrest you can get with the RDL and I have both regular and special order backrests from my last RDL seat.
I had a similar experience for my GTL in that I was going to give RDL a try, but found I was looking a months for a build date. I only had to wait a few weeks for a BMS build, pulled the trigger, and I couldn't be happier. YMMV.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I ran a Bill Mayer seat on my LT and K12GT for years. Way better than stock.

On my K13GT, I went with Russell. Best seat yet.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I ran a Bill Mayer seat on my LT and K12GT for years. Way better than stock.

On my K13GT, I went with Russell. Best seat yet.
As I mentioned, I’ve had the Bill Mayer on my RT, LT and current GTL. The LT implementation was beyond perfection. It was that good.

The GTL implementation is outstanding. Not quite the LT home run but still a 1000 mile per day seat. I’m sure I would have been happy with the RDL if that had come to pass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the RDL Sport on a GT. GREAT seat for comfort and easy to get off of for hard cornering. @6'1", 255 lbs, I've done 1000+ miles days on the Russell Sport and can't imagine anything being 'more' comfortable.

Duane
Duane, I'd like to see a couple of pictures of your sport seat. I am in the market for a new seat and have been disappointed by the off-the-rack aftermarket seats I've purchased in the past. Up to now I haven't cared for the looks of the russell but maybe a toned-down version would be ok. The most I would ever want to ride in a day would be 600 miles, but I might want to do that for 2-3 days in a row without feeling I was getting ripped a new one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Duane, I'd like to see a couple of pictures of your sport seat. I am in the market for a new seat and have been disappointed by the off-the-rack aftermarket seats I've purchased in the past. Up to now I haven't cared for the looks of the russell but maybe a toned-down version would be ok. The most I would ever want to ride in a day would be 600 miles, but I might want to do that for 2-3 days in a row without feeling I was getting ripped a new one.
For some reason the Russell Day Long seats don't photograph well. After looking at a number of pictures, I wasn't thrilled with the way they looked, but figured function was my most important feature. When I got the seat, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it actually does look on the bike in person. I don't know how a seat is or isn't photogenic, but for some reason, RDL seats just aren't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
Here's a couple of photos of Russell Sport. I did not have the rear pillion seat redone. Pillion did't care for the Russell, made her slide forward slightly and slouched. So I kept the rear seat that had be redone by Rick Mayer about 9 years ago.

Duane

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for posting those pic, Duane. I know the Sport Seat is different from the Day Long. In what ways is it different? $$, I figure, for one.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,810 Posts
Lower and narrower. Designed so the rider can slide off the seat for cornering. Price same. Front seat only, about $650, shipping included. Wings are not as big/wide as RDL. VERY comfortable.

Duane

Reactions: Alaska GT

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
RDL convert here. Bought an Airhawk L for the stock seat and still suffered. Bought a Corbin and thought I'd be through but after a few hundred miles I was looking for the Airhawk again. Finally got a RDL and love it . No more hot spots.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
RDL convert here. Bought an Airhawk L for the stock seat and still suffered. Bought a Corbin and thought I'd be through but after a few hundred miles I was looking for the Airhawk again. Finally got a RDL and love it . No more hot spots.
Ditto on the RDL. Have done several 1,000+ mile days and the seat is simply not a factor. That said getting an RDL into Europe is an utter and very, very expensive pain in the proverbial.

If RDL was my business I'd be looking at a) building complete seats and not merely altering the original and b) finding an outlet in Europe where there would, I'm sure, be rich pickings for this wonderful product.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts