BMW K1600 Forum banner

Best time to ride the Dragon!

5K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  K79540 
#1 ·
I would have to say today or tomorrow is the best time to ride the Dragon. I went up there today and had it all to myself. I saw about 10 cars and 2 BMW motorcycles while I was sitting at Deals Gap store. Other than that, I saw 3 deer going up Hwy 72 towards the Dragon, nothing else!!!

Had it all to myself

#4 · (Edited)
Riding the Dragon is like doing a track day with bikes simultaneously running in both directions...

Duane

#6 ·
Was up there on 12-16. They had the road shutdown in the afternoon and brought in one of the Subaru full on rally cars and Scott Speed to run the Dragon several times to produce a “have to be in Miami tomorrow“ commercial. Pretty **** cool. The fame of this run precedes itself.

Agree with Joe Shmoe, us locals during these months finally get the road back to ourselves to be enjoyed as it should be, no longer the tourista parade route.

#7 · (Edited)
Over rated? The Dragon’s 11 miles is the most technical stretch of Highway in the US for sure and I’ve yet to hear of another one like it in the world. Crowded? Yes? Lots of idiots? Yes. Lots of squids? Yes. Dangerous? Yes. Challenging? Yes. Technical? Yes. Over rated? Hardly!

Duane

#9 ·
I’m not saying it isn’t a good ‘technical’ road (yeah, the double negative was intentional). I’m just saying with so many other good roads in the area, why spend your time riding the one where you are trying to get around the old guy on the Harley while the kid on the sport bike is trying to get around you.

Spend some time in the area. Check out:
  • The Suches Loop -@50 miles of twists & elevations, from Dahlonega, north on Route 60. Merge with US-19 and then right on to Route 180 (Wolfpen Gap Road). At US Highway 129/19 turn right and head south back to Dahlonega.
  • Wolfpen Gap (SR 180) - @26 miles, blind corners and steep elevation changes
  • Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway (SR 348) – Lots of scenic views and @40 switchbacks

#10 ·
@eje this time of the year, I don't see anybody up there, when I made the run Thursday, I didn't catch a single car on my run up the the Gap. On my run on the way back towards Maryville heading home, I had to pass or they uesed the pullovers for 4 cars, nothing else.

This time of the year is the BEST time because no one is around.

As for better roads there are other good roads, but one thing the Dragon has that other than the Cherohala Skyway has, is there are no intersecting roads to allow for cars to pull out in front of you. That's a huge plus in my book! Only thing I've got to watch out for is deer, turkey and maybe a bear (which I've never seen up there other than in Killboy pictures!

Reactions: pkpr1998
#13 ·
My general rule of thumb is that if an "adventure" road is frequently ridden by large Harley's and other bloated cruisers, or has slower speed limits, I try to avoid it.

Still, too many seem to enjoy the Dragon to write it off. I might be doing a trip from California to Tennessee and West Virginia next summer (visit family and friends), and then to do a swing south to ride areas I've never seen. That might be my Dragon opportunity.

#14 ·
@JohnS1955 , The Dragon is one of those rides, if given the opportunity, you have to ride. Not riding the Dragon if you're in that area would be like going to Red Lodge and not riding Beartooth...

Duane

#15 ·
I’ve gone down to the dragon every year for the last 5 years. Every time it’s usually with someone new that hasn’t gone. The route usually hits triple nickel in Ohio then down to the dragon, cherohala, Devil’s Triangle and others before heading back north. Everyone I’ve ever gone with says the dragon took the most out of them and was the best. For me cherohala is my favorite. I always ride down to the waterfall and get in before heading back (I always stay at the deals gap hotel). Whether it’s over rated or not, it’s a great place that host a multitude of events for all of us to enjoy.

#16 ·
Hey, I get it. If the only time you have the opportunity to ride this road is in peak season, I understand the 1 star reviews. It can be a parade route following cruisers, ma and paw or whoever that doesn’t understand the courtesy of the pull offs for faster riders. That road at 15 to 25 mph is torturous. I believe every car club in America has there rally up there. Pretty much every Saturday and Sunday traffic is stopped up there for an accident. People that can barely ride, that shouldn’t be up there are on it. People running in the oncoming lane, running wide, right on the double yellow line/apex leaned over into the oncoming lane are up there. There are even some of the idiot hotshots passing, without warning, to the right of slower riders in the same lane. That behavior could easily lead to a beating or a shooting. LEO camped out up there running radar. Passing on the double yellow can get you a reckless driving citation. It can be dangerous and crazy up there.
Wheel Tire Helmet Vehicle Motorcycle

All this being said, for myself and Joe Shmoe the Dragon/Deals Gap is in our backyard. We ride this road year round and have the opportunity to run this road with little to no traffic interference and good road conditions. Just as Duane described, a super-fun, technical challenging 22miles and 638 curves (round trip). Those conditions I would give it 4 stars. The road is starting to show its age and could use a refresh.

#20 · (Edited)
Just rode the Dragon about an hour ago as well as The Cherohala (50 degrees and very foggy at the top). Had one moron that wouldn't get out of the way so I smoked him just north of the state line. Sitting here in Etowah having a very late lunch. So far about 250 on the clock today .
Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle
Plant Headstone Cemetery Grass Groundcover
Plant Plant community Natural environment Sky Terrestrial plant
Plant Wood Natural landscape Tree Road surface

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

#23 ·
I’ve ridden the Alps; 13 days Austria, Italy/Dolomites, and Germany. No roads/rides even close to being as technical and demanding as the Dragon. Only thing you see riding the Dragon is the road in front of you.

Duane

#25 ·
@SSR , when you finally get there you'll see. Maybe they'll change the speed limit signs to :
Speed Limit
35 MPH
(SSR do the best you can)

Duane

• Haha
Reactions: joe schmoe
#26 ·
I’m sure it’s fun. My point is, if you’re not being pushed for a time trial and take the run at whatever speed one needs to stay in their lane, how does it become challenging or demanding? Fun, I get. I’ve ridden the hairpins up to Furkah pass in Switzerland. Not the same, I understand, but this game isn’t hard to make a two wheeled vehicle with 160 hp go through it.

#28 ·
I know you'll find this hard to believe, but some things you have to experience to "get it"... And I'll say again, there's nothing in the Alps like the Dragon.

Duane

#27 ·
If the speed limit is too low or the traffic to much I pass. Same reason everytime I've ridden the roads around Sturgis I do it the week after the rally. There is no traffic, no dweeb coming at me across the center line because they can't ride for **** and there are no cops anywhere to be seen.

There are a few "roads you have to ride" in the country. I evaluate them for my long trips based on those things above.

I've seen a lot of pics of wrecked bikes on the dragon. Most of them from riders that can't stay in their lane on a curve. Scary stuff if you are going the other way.

#30 ·
Funny how folks who have never been somewhere have something to say about it. I've only ridden the dragon 2x, once with my street glide and once with my K16 and was challenging myself both times. I could do it again but won't go out of my way to do it.
It's a must ride

#31 ·
I think we’re talking past each other. I’m not trying to suggest familiarity, with the dragon. If one rides slowly enough, we can turn our bikes continuously inside 15-20ft circles. Turns become challenging, because the rider makes them challenging, by pushing speed to their personal limit. That’s the fun part, for most riders. On ones first pass on a road like the dragon, it would be wise to keep that speed below challenging is my point. Just like a downhill skier taking a familiarization run. Once more familiar with the blind turns and radiuses, then lean into it. I started this train of thought, because I’m not sure I’d get back for round 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.