BMW K1600 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
@SSR , WOW, what a revelation! Thanks for the enlightenment...
Was that necessary, or are you just having a bad day?

I started this by saying one should not take their first run at a speed they would personally find all that challenging. Being so far away, I'm not sure I'd get back for a second run to lean into it, which takes some of the shine off. Some of you say, I'd have to see it to believe it's challenging no matter what. Maybe there is a difference between a lot of work and challenging, during a familiarization run.

@SSR , you've never ridden the Dragon, yet, throughout this thread you imply the Dragon is only "challenging" because the rider makes it so; e.g. go slow and it's not challenging. And you wrote, "Just trying to make a point that it's the rider that creates the challenge, by combination of the speed they choose and their ability." Well, duh, no sh-t... isn't that true of dang near every road in the world?

Duane

Reactions: joe schmoe
@SSR , you've never ridden the Dragon, yet, throughout this thread you imply the Dragon is only "challenging" because the rider makes it so; e.g. go slow and it's not challenging. And you wrote, "Just trying to make a point that it's the rider that creates the challenge, by combination of the speed they choose and their ability." Well, duh, no sh-t... isn't that true of dang near every road in the world?

Duane

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it..." - Jimmy Buffett

I grew up in the 1970s and 80s riding a road only known as 129 before it became Deals Gap or whatever. It's. phenomenal stretch of road (agree though about it's surface condition lately) that is ruined by its infamy. I personally know two people that have spent months recovering from life threatening injuries because someone crossed the center line and hit them head on. Is that likely to happen to you if you ride it? No, but it is possible and more likely than any other amazing road I have ridden in the continental US. I've done track days with idiots where the EMTs were gone and had to shut down the track multiple times - and that was safer than riding this road.

I've ridden it scores of times over my lifetime but put me in the camp that the only reason to ride it is with someone that hasn't to get the photo. And, I never ride it at more than about 5/10ths.

My buddy(K1600B) and I(R1250GSA) ran up to Deals Gap (aka “The Dragon”) yesterday. Near perfect conditions. It was dry. The last snow left several trees down that have been cleared with very little debris left. There was a small stick or bark here or there, but clear track on the complete run. On the way up one motorcycle and one car. Each pulled over at the first available pull off. On the way back one car who also used the first available pull off. Near perfect 👍. We were able to get a rhythm, corner vision, clean entry and exit, trail braking and throttle control, working on smooth consistent flow. SSR seems like you keep digging yourself in deeper. Even though you have not ridden this road, you must have some experience in riding mountain twisties. This is not the only road in the mountain twisty universe, but one that provides a very challenging experience. Personally, I would not poke the bear by commenting on a road I had never ridden and relate on roads I have ridden. I can say that there are several turns that 5mph would assure a crash and a few at 10mph as well, with too much lean angle required and uphill/downhill grades. We are fortunate of the 100’s of great roads the Appalachian’s, from Georgia to Maine present. I am thankful for the ridden and yet to be ridden opportunities.

Over rated? The Dragon’s 11 miles is the most technical stretch of Highway in the US for sure and I’ve yet to hear of another one like it in the world. Crowded? Yes? Lots of idiots? Yes. Lots of squids? Yes. Dangerous? Yes. Challenging? Yes. Technical? Yes. Over rated? Hardly!

Duane
I think you need to ride Pike's Peak to the top or Independence Pass. The first time I went over Independence pass the guy that told me about it said that on some of the switchbacks you could read your rear license plate and he wasn't exaggerating by much! 😁

I think you need to ride Pike's Peak to the top or Independence Pass. The first time I went over Independence pass the guy that told me about it said that on some of the switchbacks you could read your rear license plate and he wasn't exaggerating by much! 😁
Appears our definition of "technical" differs. And what makes you "think" I haven't? We road Independence Pass 3 years ago. As a matter-of-fact, we'er going to ride it again during our Colorado/Utah trip in August. Also going to ride to the top of Mt Evans. But there's a huge difference between switchbacks out west and twisty roads like the Dragon. No road in the US has switchback like the Alps. Photos 1/2 from our 13 day trip to the Alps in 2010. 3rd photo is from Independence Pass a couple of years ago. @FloRider,
Mountain Slope Road surface Asphalt Highland

Mountain Highland Road surface Vegetation Slope

Wheel Tire Cloud Mountain Land vehicle

While you are here do Pike's Peak as well. I love taking "Flat Landers" there and letting them see where they would end up if they miss a turn with no guard rails. Most of them are scared to death on a road like that and can't understand why there are no guard rails on it. Sorry I figured that you were like most that travel through CO and just hit the main highways.

The Hill Climb isn't as interesting to watch now that they paved the road all the way to the top even though the times are much quicker. If I wasn't in the middle of a major project I would be going to watch this weekend. Here are a couple of photos from before they paved it.

Cloud Sky Natural landscape Mountain Slope

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Plant Plant community Ecoregion

My general rule of thumb is that if an "adventure" road is frequently ridden by large Harley's and other bloated cruisers, or has slower speed limits, I try to avoid it.

Still, too many seem to enjoy the Dragon to write it off. I might be doing a trip from California to Tennessee and West Virginia next summer (visit family and friends), and then to do a swing south to ride areas I've never seen. That might be my Dragon opportunity.

My general rule of thumb is that if an "adventure" road is frequently ridden by large Harley's and other bloated cruisers, or has slower speed limits, I try to avoid it.

Still, too many seem to enjoy the Dragon to write it off. I might be doing a trip from California to Tennessee and West Virginia next summer (visit family and friends), and then to do a swing south to ride areas I've never seen. That might be my Dragon opportunity.
When it comes to "GREAT RIDES" I'd throw your "rule of thumb" out the window. To be in/around the mountains of NC/TN and NOT ride the Dragon for the first time would liken to touring the Dolomites and NOT riding Stelvio...

Duane

• Helpful
Reactions: 1004ron and LennyO
It's been a few years since I have been to the Dragon. I hope to go in late fall this year. Last time I was there, I made Killboy's front page. They called me "Sparky". I bet the GT is going to be way fun. Tire Wheel Motorcycle helmet Helmet Plant
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

When it comes to "GREAT RIDES" I'd throw your "rule of thumb" out the window. To be in/around the mountains of NC/TN and NOT ride the Dragon for the first time would liken to touring the Dolomites and NOT riding Stelvio...

Duane
Duane, I largely agree with your take. When I rode from the California to the TTD, the Dragon was going to happen for me no matter what. There was too much legend about that stretch to not experience it.

I will say that my first run was a disaster. Everything started OK, but a few miles in, a group of 6 tricked out racing Mini Coopers suddenly appeared on my azz. There was no way I (or any bike) could keep their pace, so I was desperately looking for a turnout to let them by. I finally found a small spot, but it was dicey. A little later, I had the same problem when a Shelby Mustang and Porsche 911 Turbo, using the Dragon as their personal race track, almost took me out. Needless to say, it wasn't a great experience. But I was committed to experiencing a clean run, so I decided to keep doing the Dragon until it happened. (y)

Run #2 on the Dragon was a little better, but I experienced the opposite. I kept running up the backside of slower Harleys and an especially slow car, which took most of the joy out of the ride.

Run #3 was the charm. I had the Dragon mostly to myself, and it was finally fun. By this time I had a better feel and understanding of the road, and could ramp up to a pace that might have been dangerous the first two times. After #3, I felt confident that I could place the Dragon into my pecking order of similar types of roads I've ridden in the US.

So, for anyone coming out from the far West, you have to do an unobstructed run the Dragon! It's a must....

Over the years, and on several diff bikes, while still in Air Force (67-75), did rides in South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont.

Since going to work for E Systems / Raytheon in 1975, I have had the opportunity to ride the Alps, Germany (Rhine areas), Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria, midwest (DallasTexas) to Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and other trips from Dallas thru Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennesse, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia. All of these runs before I retired from Raytheon.

Now after I retired in 2013, I moved to western NC and enjoy the great roads around me, as time permits. Most of the time never in a big hurry to get to the next curve ! I feel very lucky to have been able to ride all these areas and be around to ‘tell the tales’ !

Hopefully, I still have another 15-20 good years left ! 😜👍

Safe rides to all

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.