BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires is 4 month old ( continental) it seems like the first owner did the wrong choice , it dosnt feel stable beside I feel every little asfalt surface in the handle bar ,is this normal?? Also the tire lines are more like racing bike and not my favourite..What is the best options for tires ?? Also tire presure recommended is 42 PSI feels very sensitive to me I keep it 38 or 36 psi is this fine ?? Regards

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Many many many threads on tire choices. The search box above will help you find assorted opinions. Some say as long as they are black and round they are good. A good fraction on here like the Dunlop RSIIIs. Many others the Michelin PR4s. A smattering like car tires, also called going to the darkside. A fraction appreciate the Metzeler Roadtec 01s, and approximately equal number prefer the Pirelli Angel GT IIs. Best of luck finding something more suitable than the Continentals you currently have.

Reactions: Vandaldog

·
Registered
4 Posts
My tires is 4 month old ( continental) it seems like the first owner did the wrong choice , it dosnt feel stable beside I feel every little asfalt surface in the handle bar ,is this normal?? Also the tire lines are more like racing bike and not my favourite..What is the best options for tires ?? Also tire presure recommended is 42 PSI feels very sensitive to me I keep it 38 or 36 psi is this fine ?? Regards
I am very happy with Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT
Both tires should be 2.9 Bar 42 PSI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
466 Posts
I just completed ~2k miles on my Michelin Road 5 GTs (front and read) and all is fine. I like these much better than the OEM tires.

I ran ~1k at 38-40 psi and the last 1k at 42 psi. I prefer 42psi.

Good luck, lots of choices and lots of opinions.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and Zaki

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
My buddy had the same problem with those Avon tires. I can save you some time. Michilin PR4 (NOT the 5) for touring and the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 or 4 for better handling or "sport touring". So it depends on how you ride.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
How are you measuring the pressure?

·
Registered
593 Posts
The Bridgestone T31 GT’s don’t get a lot of pub on this forum but they are a solid tire. I’ve put several thousand miles on a set in both hot and cold conditions with no surprises.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL / 2020 R1250GS
120 Posts
Just changed my stock Battlax tires last month (which I got 9800 miles out of), to Pirreli Angel GT's. I chose the original GTs instead of the GT II due to the tire pattern having no straight line treads to get caught in all the rain "grooves" on the road. That "directionality" can cause some of the handlebar sensation. Running them at 42 PSI and they feel very planted and run straight. I also considered the Dunlops, but there wasn't any rebates around when I ordered so the price was actually a bit less. So I figured I'd give the Italian's a shot. Both have plenty of positive threads on this forum.

Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
After finishing off the Michelin PR fours that were on mine I invested in The Dunlop RS3. I like the cushy feel of the Dunlops they remind me of my bias ply Dunlops on my gold wing. They seem to absorb little road imperfections better. I do not have many miles on them to see how long it will take to develop cupping if at all . My Michelin’s were very well cupped when I got them

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,675 Posts
When I bought my 2013 GTL it had PR4's installed and the rear had a bad flat in the middle.

I now have 3K miles on the RS3's and no sign of the premature flat in the middle and no cupping on the front - I run them at 42psi and will go with the same at the next tire change.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
What is the load rating on the Continentals? I don't know of any of that brand tire rated for the weight of the K1600 off of the top of my head. It could be why it doesn't feel right if it isn't the proper rated tires...

·
Upside Down
3,374 Posts
The number of times you see this question asked on so many forums and then the other one would be what oil you use. To me, it comes back to do your research to base your mission on what the majority are saying try them and see what you really think. It should never come back to the fact this tyre offered a rebate and I saved money. My ideal tyre is one that is sure-footed has around the grip and I have the most concordance in. Mileage may come into that equation against cost per mile etc. But really buy what you have researched and have the best feeling that it would be more suited for your style of riding and the areas you ride in. It is just a matter of what you end up with and it might take 1 or even 3 goes to get the one you feel more comfortable with for whatever reason. On my Victory, I had Dunlop E3`s and could not wait to change them because once they saw the slightest bit of rain cloud they started slipping all over the place. I replaced them with Avon Cobras that worked well. Then when I had my 2 Indian Roadmasters they came fitted with the good old Dunlop E 3 and I was going to get rid of them but found a marked improvement over the same tyre from years before. Maybe due to the weight of that bike as well. On my many BMW`s I have had the Bridgestone they were great, then the Pirelli`s and now the Metzilar Roadtech 01 all of those worked well in all the conditions I ride my bike including wet road surfaces. So my answer is with the greatest respect just asked the questions and then make an informed decision , if your wrong change the tyre as soon as you can afford to know what that brand does. I hope that helps you because you are going to get lots of I like this and I hate that, why? because we all have different opinions and ride is different conditions.
I hope this does not offend you, it is just my honest opinion.
(y);)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts