BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,675 Posts
The number of times you see this question asked on so many forums and then the other one would be what oil you use. To me, it comes back to do your research to base your mission on what the majority are saying try them and see what you really think. It should never come back to the fact this tyre offered a rebate and I saved money. My ideal tyre is one that is sure-footed has around the grip and I have the most concordance in. Mileage may come into that equation against cost per mile etc. But really buy what you have researched and have the best feeling that it would be more suited for your style of riding and the areas you ride in. It is just a matter of what you end up with and it might take 1 or even 3 goes to get the one you feel more comfortable with for whatever reason. On my Victory, I had Dunlop E3`s and could not wait to change them because once they saw the slightest bit of rain cloud they started slipping all over the place. I replaced them with Avon Cobras that worked well. Then when I had my 2 Indian Roadmasters they came fitted with the good old Dunlop E 3 and I was going to get rid of them but found a marked improvement over the same tyre from years before. Maybe due to the weight of that bike as well. On my many BMW`s I have had the Bridgestone they were great, then the Pirelli`s and now the Metzilar Roadtech 01 all of those worked well in all the conditions I ride my bike including wet road surfaces. So my answer is with the greatest respect just asked the questions and then make an informed decision , if your wrong change the tyre as soon as you can afford to know what that brand does. I hope that helps you because you are going to get lots of I like this and I hate that, why? because we all have different opinions and ride is different conditions.
I hope this does not offend you, it is just my honest opinion.
(y);)
Spot on.

I've been using auto forums for many years and as you say, I've noticed that many folks come along thinking that the rest of the world has never asked the question that he or she has and creates a new thread.

I'm new to the K1600 so always do a forum search and in 99.3% I've found ample threads covering my queries, and it was based on such a search that I decided to try the RS3's and so far I'm liking them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
42 psi seems to be the magic number. Checked with a Motion Pro digital gauge. After a few mikes, the dash registers the same (it generally reads one pound low at first but I know it isn’t a true gauge and it’s accuracy is suspect).

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Once again we're back at this discussion. The manufacturer knows what the best tire pressure is for it's tires. Whatever the max cold psi, on the side wall, is the pressure that will give you maximum performance and wear for the tire. PERIOD!!!!!!!!! And if you don't believe me talk to any reputable Michelin or Metzler or Pirelli dealer. I attended a Michelin tire school back in the day and first topic was tire pressure. The instructor said "Look at the sidewall" .

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Once again we're back at this discussion. The manufacturer knows what the best tire pressure is for it's tires. Whatever the max cold psi, on the side wall, is the pressure that will give you maximum performance and wear for the tire. PERIOD!!!!!!!!! And if you don't believe me talk to any reputable Michelin or Metzler or Pirelli dealer. I attended a Michelin tire school back in the day and first topic was tire pressure. The instructor said "Look at the sidewall" .
I disagree. My Mercedes gives me two different tire pressures. One for fully loaded and another if it isn't. The max pressure that is on the side of the tire is exactly that. The max pressure the tire can safely run. The manufacture of the vehicle says what to put the tire at and it shouldn't exceed the max pressure the manufacture of the tires says.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/proper-tire-pressure-sidwall-door-tag-or-split-the-difference/67850

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The Tire pressure specified in the manual is 42.1 psi. It doesn't matter of 1-up or 2-up, or riding with load.

So I run the tires at 42 psi. It seems to work well at 30mph or 130mph. Unless you have some very special riding requirements that require offset tire pressures, why the constant questions on the subject?

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
If I were really pushing it on curvy roads, I might drop a few PSI to increase my contact patch. When slabbing, I want the max pressure allowed/recommended. Better fuel economy. I think better tire life. I can soften the ride with the ECS if needed.

·
Upside Down
3,374 Posts
I think we are missing one point about the tyre pressures. They are only recommended pressures to give you the best ride, it always comes back to what works for the type of riding you are doing so then you keep an eye on the wearing of the tyre. if it wears on both sides closer to the sidewall it is too low and would need a couple of psi more to even that out so it wears in the centre more so. On average if you use 2psi more than recommended you will get the bike to handle slightly better but it also rides rough due to the extra pressure. If you go 2 or 3 psi under the recommended pressure you get a softer and possibly a sloppy ride in corners etc. I managed a tyre service for years and raced both cars and bikes in my younger days, I am no expert but still remember everything that applied to my selling tyres along with the results. Just an old farts opinion and 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I disagree. My Mercedes gives me two different tire pressures. One for fully loaded and another if it isn't. The max pressure that is on the side of the tire is exactly that. The max pressure the tire can safely run. The manufacture of the vehicle says what to put the tire at and it shouldn't exceed the max pressure the manufacture of the tires says.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/proper-tire-pressure-sidwall-door-tag-or-split-the-difference/67850
Car manufacturers always tell you to set the tire pressure using the door plate. That recommended pressure will give you a nice soft cushy ride disregarding what it's doing to the tires, meaning the tires are running hot due to low pressure. Ask Ford about their fiasco with the explorer and those tires coming apart because the door plate pressure was 20 lbs lower than the recommended max cold pressure on the tire. Those tire ran so hot they literally tore them selves apart but the owners got a nice cushy ride while they hit the guard rails or flipped over.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
^^^ That was the genesis of TPMS, was it not?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My tires is 4 month old ( continental) it seems like the first owner did the wrong choice , it dosnt feel stable beside I feel every little asfalt surface in the handle bar ,is this normal?? Also the tire lines are more like racing bike and not my favourite..What is the best options for tires ?? Also tire presure recommended is 42 PSI feels very sensitive to me I keep it 38 or 36 psi is this fine ?? Regards
Avoid the PR5's as you'll be lucky to slip a credit card between the tire and the bike's frame. Go with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT - 42psi cold pressure - use a hand pressure gauge as the bike's digital display is not as accurate.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Car manufacturers always tell you to set the tire pressure using the door plate. That recommended pressure will give you a nice soft cushy ride disregarding what it's doing to the tires, meaning the tires are running hot due to low pressure. Ask Ford about their fiasco with the explorer and those tires coming apart because the door plate pressure was 20 lbs lower than the recommended max cold pressure on the tire. Those tire ran so hot they literally tore them selves apart but the owners got a nice cushy ride while they hit the guard rails or flipped over.
Your correct in that one instance and ford payed an extremely high price for that. Nevertheless I am right.

Reactions: flyergc

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Avoid the PR5's as you'll be lucky to slip a credit card between the tire and the bike's frame. Go with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT - 42psi cold pressure - use a hand pressure gauge as the bike's digital display is not as accurate.
It is quite accurate, considering what it is really telling you. (Hint: there is more than just raw pressure that goes into what you see on the TPMS display.)

·
Registered
2012 K 1600 GTL
29 Posts
My tires is 4 month old ( continental) it seems like the first owner did the wrong choice , it dosnt feel stable beside I feel every little asfalt surface in the handle bar ,is this normal?? Also the tire lines are more like racing bike and not my favourite..What is the best options for tires ?? Also tire presure recommended is 42 PSI feels very sensitive to me I keep it 38 or 36 psi is this fine ?? Regards
Michelin 5gt. 40 psi. glued to the road - i have reduced my chicken strips considerably with this tire

·
Registered
2018 K1600 Grand America
103 Posts
I ran Pirelli Angel GT on my 1200RT and loved them. I have Angel GT2 “A” spec on my ‘18 GA and absoloutely love them! The wear is amazing, great rain groove, and they stick really well.
Doubt you would be disappointed in them...👊

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Michelin 4 or 5 are awesome tires.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I just completed ~2k miles on my Michelin Road 5 GTs (front and read) and all is fine. I like these much better than the OEM tires.

I ran ~1k at 38-40 psi and the last 1k at 42 psi. I prefer 42psi.

Good luck, lots of choices and lots of opinions.
I moved from my 2015 to a 2020 GTL. on my 2015 I had trouble with the Road 5's rubbing on the inside. Do you or anyone else have the trouble on the newer K's?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts