BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I moved from my 2015 to a 2020 GTL. on my 2015 I had trouble with the Road 5's rubbing on the inside. Do you or anyone else have the trouble on the newer K's?
The Michelin PR5 is no longer recommend for any of the BMW 1600 line per Michelin. Use the PR4 or the Dunlop Roadsmart 4

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
BMW K1600 GTL (K61) 2017, R1100 RT 1997, R1200 GS (2014)
47 Posts
I use Michelin Road 5 BT's (designed especially for the heavier tourers) they are awesome in any weather... not great longevity around 7-9k miles but works for me.....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Michelin 4 or 5 are awesome tires.
Yeah, for interstate riding they’re great. But my PR4GT’s rear, would slide easily when riding hard. The front, it stuck well. I even continue to buy PR4 GT fronts to go with Pirelli rears. It’s a good combo.

Stay away from Bridgestone!! Only after 5k miles and I’m 1k miles from home when they went to “**** “ View attachment 147771
Which model of Bridgestone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not rely on the on-board TPMS, as they are notoriously inaccurate. My TPMS shows 38 psi front/rear when the actual pressure is 42 psi front/rear. The TPMS is useful once you know how the difference between TPMS and actual and it is also useful to show loss of pressure.

·
Upside Down
3,374 Posts
Measured at what temperature?
Always measure tyre pressures cold is my best advice. The pressure builds up as the rubber is worked and more heat produced. I don't use the recommended pressure always. Most of the time I run 43 in the front and 44 in the great then keep an eye on how they wear, if they look like wearing in the centre I do that pressure by around 2 psi. and still, monitor the wear. The bike rides hard on higher pressures but works for me. Gives better wear but most of that would be the monitoring of how they are wearing and the feeling on my bum while I ride or through the bike around. I should add I carry my own spare gauge and that way I know I have the same reliable reading every time I pump the tyres up.

·
Upside Down
3,374 Posts
Is that an admission that you didn't check your tires before the trip?

As others have mentioned, they prefer the lower mileage for the superior grip.
I am with you refer to have the grip and be safe if I need to throw the tyre away with tread so be it.Life is hard to replace tyres are cheap compared to us old guys .

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GTL
250 Posts
Read this thread before deciding on Michelin PR5's.
No problem with my Road5's. They have never contacted the shaft housing. I'm on my 2nd set and I think they are the most planted tire I've ridden on this bike. As far as the conti's feeling less stable, ALL tires will feel like horse sh*t when they are approaching their limits with this bike. Steering will get very lazy and you'll think the front end has frozen up in town at slow speed -- a sure sign it's time for new rubber. I'll let them run down to 38 or so before I feel the need to bump them back up. Of course, I'm not running on a track all the time either. Much lower than 37 and you'll feel the difference in hard corners as they yield to this bike's weight, which can be unsettling.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the angel gt 2’s over the pr4. I feel they grip a bit better in the twisties. Equal in the rain. I got about 9k out of the pr4. I wore the front down to the chords. I rode pretty aggressively,so I thought that was pretty good. I currently have 6k on my angels and they look ok. They are cupping a little. The pr4’s cupped on me too,so I think it’s just the fact that the bike is heavy,I’m a fat ass and I put it on its sides a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2019 K1600GA came with Michelin tires. The front was punctured on day 1 of a trip, and replaced by BMW of Sturgis with Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring tire. Both are inflated to 38/39 PSI by dealer. I do feel the road, which I want. I find it is a soft ride, but it isn't as soft a ride as a Street Glide, which I attribute to the thinner tire sizes. I did setting the suspension makes all the difference for cruising.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My 2019 K1600GA came with Michelin tires. The front was punctured on day 1 of a trip, and replaced by BMW of Sturgis with Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring tire. Both are inflated to 38/39 PSI by dealer. I do feel the road, which I want. I find it is a soft ride, but it isn't as soft a ride as a Street Glide, which I attribute to the thinner tire sizes. I did setting the suspension makes all the difference for cruising.
Be careful about taking the pressure too low. I just took my GTL into the dealer for some minor work, and when I got it back, I found the front tire pressure had been lowered from 42 as part of their "safety check" :rolleyes: (I should have read the paperwork before leaving). I found out when I took a turn at speed and the front felt a little mushy. The bike pressure reading showed 38, which was verified by my BMW digital pressure gauge.

Some may like this, and maybe it provides a cushier ride when cruising, but I immediately took it back up to 42 w/Dynamic. I feel more confident with a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Easybee
I have them and really like them. im pretty demanding on my bike and they hold on well. Plus they give less road noise compared to my previous metzlers
Hi Easybee
I have them and really like them. im pretty demanding on my bike and they hold on well. Plus they give less road noise compared to my previous metzlers
Damian,

Thanks for the info. The easy choice is Mich. but I tend to look a little deeper into products and find out more than the popular choice. I ride fast and hard as well, and really need my tires to perform better than average. I just turned 6K on my 2020 GTL and original tires and I discovered at the MOA in Springfield that my front was almost spent.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts