BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle.com just named the 2019 BMW R1250RT the best touring motorcycle. The 2019 Goldwing was the runner-up.

Honestly I'm surprised. No mention of the K1600GTL? Guess our K's are not most riders cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Motorcycle.com just named the 2019 BMW R1250RT the best touring motorcycle. The 2019 Goldwing was the runner-up.

Honestly I'm surprised. No mention of the K1600GTL? Guess our K's are not most riders cup of tea.

The r1250rt is a great bike, good power to weigh ratio, nice ride not far behind the k1600, but after riding a few of the r1250rt the k1600 motor is much more exciting

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Any publication which takes in advertising dollars from the subjects of their writings cannot make an honest assessment of value or goodness. This list and everyone like it is more a report on "who advertises with us" then the actual relative merits of any one platform.

I don't do magazines, real or virtual, because they are all full of crap and filled with more ads than real content. Aside from scientific periodicals, I don't even look at trade rags.

^^^grumpy old fart^^^

·
Registered
440 Posts
So I went to buy the R1250RT in that Blue Planet color with Option 719 plus premium package.
I was at the Dealer having my 600 mile service done on the R1200GSA and spotted it.

If your a short guy you might really like it less legroom then K1600. Has more fairing protection on upper fairing area K1600.
Engine is a dream to ride and Bike is noticeably lighter feel then K1600.

On the highway and on acceleration the K1600 leaves the 1250 behind. I also find the K1600 more stable but not as maneuverable as the RT.

Is it worth getting the R1250RT if you own the K1600GT or GTL answer is no. What if you don't own either models then maybe it is superior depending on your needs and wallet.

My 2 Cents

·
Registered
488 Posts
There are also those of us that value style. There is no comparison between a B or BGA and the RT. Not knocking the RT just lacks the emotional draw that the B and BGA has.

In my opinion.

The "best" ratings are usually focused more on function than style, but your underlying point is well taken.

A credible review clearly outlines the criteria and weighting used for evaluation. This review doesn't do any of that. The closest I found was in discussing the RT, they say "For 2019, less touring bike is more". Really?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The "best" ratings are usually focused more on function than style, but your underlying point is well taken.

A credible review clearly outlines the criteria and weighting used for evaluation. This review doesn't do any of that. The closest I found was in discussing the RT, they say "For 2019, less touring bike is more". Really?? :rolleyes:
In my humble opinion "style" is a very important in there buying decisions. If not, Harley would not be the sales leader.

BMW, in my opinion again, is starting to understand the style motivation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Never put much value in bike and car mags that make these selections. Just because someone working for a magazine likes something doesn't mean I will.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Any publication which takes in advertising dollars from the subjects of their writings cannot make an honest assessment of value or goodness. This list and everyone like it is more a report on "who advertises with us" then the actual relative merits of any one platform.
This. Payola is what really determines what “wins” these things. As a side note, I demoed an r1250rt awhile back, I thought the handling was easy and nice, and the motor had ok power, but it was too buzzy, and just didn’t compare to the smooth and clinical delivery of the 6. Just my opinion of course

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's been my experience that the XXX of the year is usually something new or has a major update. The K1600 didn't get much of an update this year vs the R-bike getting a new, larger engine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I took the new 1250RT for a test ride and I have to say that it was a super ride. Fantastic machine for all around rides on any roads. I can get use to it very very quickly. The GA is a monster compare to the RT, that is how I felt. I would consider it one day when I am done with heavy rides. I am not surprised at all it took high place. This bike is in a big demand in Europe.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I took the new 1250RT for a test ride and I have to say that it was a super ride. Fantastic machine for all around rides on any roads. I can get use to it very very quickly. The GA is a monster compare to the RT, that is how I felt. I would consider it one day when I am done with heavy rides. I am not surprised at all it took high place. This bike is in a big demand in Europe.
Except that the review isn't completely accurate. From the review:

"the new RT seems just as eager to move two people and their stuff just as spiritedly as those two (GW & HD) do".

The implication is that the RT is on par with the bigger bikes for 2-up comfort. It's not by any real measure. I had an RT for many years. Yea, it was the 1200, but the dimensions of the bike aren't that much different. I sat on a new R1250RT at the dealer yesterday just to be sure. When my wife rode with me on our RT, her helmet was constantly knocking the back of mine with any significant slowdown. The seating space is simply more compressed that the K16s. And the joke of backrest on the rear BMW carry case didn't help matters either.

I loved my RT, but it's not a longer distance touring motorcycle in the same class as the K16. These magazine "reviews" need to do a better job in defining comparison criteria.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They tend to give it to new models. The goldwing got it last year. The gtl got it a few times,but the k 1600’s are getting long in the tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just love my gtle. After a 400km afternoon ride I get within 35km of home and sometimes take a detour just to prolong the ride. Just sic.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts