BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which KLIM jacket, the Latitude or the Apex, vents better on the K1600 GT?

I purchased a 2020 K1600 GT Sport just as winter set-in here in Idaho. I was only able to ride the bike on three short rides. It was getting cold and becoming icy. I was not able to really test the flip-out vents on the sides of the fairing.

Where does this redirected vented air hit the body?

The air management on the bike seems to produce a pretty large protection area of calm air (bigger than my 1200GS). So, the flip-out side vents really intrigue me. It makes sense to select a jacket with vents positioned to pick up the vented air. I want all the help I can get to stay cool during hot riding conditions.

- The Latitude has 2 verticle vents between the chest and shoulders...fairly high.

- The Apex has 2 big diagonal vents on the sides of the jacket, under the arms...more mid-body.

So experienced GT riders, where does the redirected air hit the torso?

PS: I have the Apex and consider it to be a fantastic jacket. It fits me, it is comfortable and the protection it offers is fairly strong. I am about ready for a new jacket so I want to also consider the Latitude. I think the red color-way of the Latitude would look sharp on the Sport with the silver and black paint and the red GT graphics. I will be prioritizing the one that is the coolest on this bike.

Thank you and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
'19 K1600GT Silver/Black/Red
144 Posts
You definitely have the best color bike. 😎

I went with the Klim Kodiak jacket and pants. The Kodiak is kinda form fitting but I’m fairly slender (so far) so I like the fit. Gray and black, looks good with the bike (2019 GT Sport black/silver/red). I got it this winter so I haven’t had a chance to ride with it yet. I will be interested to see how well it vents, but I think that if I end up riding someplace really hot, I might go with a mesh jacket/pants combo. I’m not sure if venting will be enough to keep a Gortex suit cool, but I too am interested to hear about that from other members.

This is my first Klim gear and the quality is really good, would definitely recommend.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
I can't tell you about how they are on a GT, but when I was shopping, I did the following....

In my living room, I set up a big fan blowing at me. I swapped jackets to see how much air I felt inside each of those two jackets. I certainly felt more air movement the the Apex.

If that translates to the bike in the same way, I'm not really sure, but I've been happy with the Apex. That said, I just bought an Induction for very warmest days...I hate being hot, and also because I lost 45 pounds. I'm probably going to replace the Apex too. It is still a great jacket, but in the winter, I now have too much room in the jacket and the air billows through, even with the vents closed, making me colder than I want to be.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is the best Klim Jacket I have owned for ventilation. I have worn this into the low 90F to below 70F.

Ian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tip. The Induction looks like it would work great for you in FL.

I live in ID and ride from southern UT/CO, north to Glacier Park and west into OR and WA...always in pursuit of mountains. It is not unusual to start my day in the 40s, maybe encounter 30s and then warm up into the 90s. Rain, snow and mountain winds are all possible. Last summer I started a ride at 37 degrees (McCall) and passed through afternoon heat of 95 degrees crossing the Grand Ronde river. My jacket needs to work in the cold and heat. I find the Apex to be really strong in the cold with a heated jacket. Above 85 requires a wet shirt every hour or so.

I have been wearing the Apex and it performes admirably. But, it is getting a bit rough and I changed bikes from a 1200GS to the new GT. So, this seems like a good time to evaluate a new jacket. I will be passing through SLC soon on a Jeep trip in UT. I plan to stop at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and try on the Latitude for fit and comfort. Normally I go directly to KLIM in Rigby to compare and fit jackets. It is really nice to be able to try on any of the various models for cut, texture of the materials, venting and the resulting overall comfort. I think many people that complain of poor fit just don't have the right jacket. The line of KLIM jacket all have different fits/cuts. I know when internet shopping I don't like to go through too many cycles of sending a jacket back and forth to try to get the right size. Unfortunately there are only a few places in the country that have many KLIM choices and all sizes.

I am thinking the Apex may be the best performer for me but the Latitude would look nicer.

I may find myself riding in FL at some point. I will keep the induction in mind.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
I sold my Latitude and bought the Apex a few years ago. Venting was about the same, but I liked the fit of the Apex more.

Duane

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comfortable fit is so important. I have about 35,000 miles on my Apex. That is a lot of time. It is very comfortable. If the Latitude is not as comfortable, I will stick with the Apex.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
I have found that to get the most from the winglets, being open, is to un-zip the lower portion of my jacket letting the air come up through the jacket that way. Of course this only works if your jacket has 2 zipper pulls (one works from top to bottom and the other one from bottom to top)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As with Alaska GT, I too would suggest considering the Kodiak. I found it acceptable for NC summers. Between the pants and jacket, it has 10 vents, and since it has an internal kidney belt, I often ride with the jacket unzipped which offers even more air flow. My partner has the Altitude, which has a fair bit less venting, less robust fabric, and lesser crash pads.

·
Q
5,369 Posts
I have the Badlands jacket. Lots of zippers and flows a lot of air.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Anyone know about or own the Klim Marrakesh jacket ?

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
This is the best Klim Jacket I have owned for ventilation. I have worn this into the low 90F to below 70F.

Ian
These guys always do a great review but to be honest I can't stand how the presenter starts off the reviews or welcomes you to their reviews every time. So annoying and maybe it is just me.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Anyone know about or own the Klim Marrakesh jacket ?
I have the Marrakesh, it's a lighter weight stretch material, not as heavily armored as the Apex or Kodiak and not water proof, I like it for day rides but for long trips I'll take my Apex or Induction depending on the season and route and I also live in Idaho about 10 minutes from Klim.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Love my Induction jacket. Lot's of air flow and protection. Put on a nice liner in colder weather and your good into the 50's...and it's a good looking jacket too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Klim Induction jacket: Hands down flows the most air. Without a liner, suitable for temps >70 degs.
Klim Marrakesh: Super, medium weight & protection. Very versatile. Add a rain shell and comfortable from 55-85 degs.
Klim Badlands: Heavy duty protection. Waterproof. Heavy jacket with internal suspension belt. Lotsa vents but not comfortable >80 degs.

ADVRider's Fleamarket forum typically has great deals on used gear.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Induction is one big vent. Love it in Southwest late spring thru early fall. Add rain/wind shell when necessary. Ain't right though that a MC jacket doesn't have zippered cuffs. It's not a Klim but the Rukka Airman deserves a look. Great jacket for warm weather with zip-in/out liner -- very versatile, comfy and good looking (that's it in the avatar). The most versatile jacket I own (personal favorite but not available right now) is the Klim Apex Air: full sleeve, cuff to shoulder, double zipper vents, large zip-n-tuck panels under mesh on the chest and back, all built into the jacket. It's a bit tedious preping back and forth with the velcro sticking to everything but worth it because layered right you can ride it from 40 to 90. Might be able to find one on eBay. I hope Klim revives a new version someday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts