BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the miles on my 2018 Grand America. However, my good lady is complaining of buffeting and a considerable draft around her neck when riding pillion. The bike currently wears a Wunderlich Marathon Air Vented screen. I find it OK although notice buffeting a certain speeds but can happily ride visor up so not a major issue.
On my previous K1200LT, I fitted a large ZTechnik screen to it which, apart from looking ugly when in the fully raised position, was fantastic for producing a bubble of still air around rider and pillion.
Anyone had the same issue as myself and found a solution? I have come across a ZTechnik large screen for the Bagger / Grand America which is no taller but crucially (?) does not have the “scalloped” corners like the current Wunderlich one. Is this the answer to keeping SWMBO happy?
TIA
Bob

·
Registered
213 Posts
Getting the miles on my 2018 Grand America. However, my good lady is complaining of buffeting and a considerable draft around her neck when riding pillion. The bike currently wears a Wunderlich Marathon Air Vented screen. I find it OK although notice buffeting a certain speeds but can happily ride visor up so not a major issue.
On my previous K1200LT, I fitted a large ZTechnik screen to it which, apart from looking ugly when in the fully raised position, was fantastic for producing a bubble of still air around rider and pillion.
Anyone had the same issue as myself and found a solution? I have come across a ZTechnik large screen for the Bagger / Grand America which is no taller but crucially (?) does not have the “scalloped” corners like the current Wunderlich one. Is this the answer to keeping SWMBO happy?
TIA
Bob
The Puig windshield is a barn door barley off the low position works for us…

JJ

·
Registered
61 Posts
TIA
Bob
The Puig windshield is a barn door barley off the low position works for us…

JJ
I find myself in the same position as yours, my passenger complains about the wind all the time. I was looking at the PUIG screen as well seeing that it's a little wider and longer than the Wunderlich. Also a third of the price of the Wunderlich. And someone also recommended the Vstream windscreens, but those again are pretty expensive

·
Registered
213 Posts
I find myself in the same position as yours, my passenger complains about the wind all the time. I was looking at the PUIG screen as well seeing that it's a little wider and longer than the Wunderlich. Also a third of the price of the Wunderlich. And someone also recommended the Vstream windscreens, but those again are pretty expensive
I’ve had Puig on 3 different bikes and loved them, if just the screen doesn’t quite work for your passenger they make an add on deflector. The only windshield I like better is Cee Bailey and they no longer make shields…

JJ

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’m using a 21” 7Jurock vented screen, works for us. For reference, I’m 6’1 and my SO is 5’1. We’re on a GT

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi
@HarrisBikeNut I just installed the PUIG Touring screen. I have attached before and after pics with original screen Vs the new one. I will test it this weekend
20210610_173721.jpg

20210610_175444.jpg

As you can see the difference is huge!

·
Registered
662 Posts
So where does one obtain a PUIG screen?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi
@HarrisBikeNut I just installed the PUIG Touring screen. I have attached before and after pics with original screen Vs the new one. I will test it this weekend View attachment 153444

View attachment 153445

As you can see the difference is huge!
I am quoting myself :))

I had some errands today and had to ride the beast with the newly installed screen. Indeed the difference is huge. First and foremost I can now ride with the flip-up helmet open without the wind blowing into my eyes. Second, we had some pretty heavy rain today and of course I got caught. Minimum wetness (mostly on my upper tighs and upper arms and shoulders). The front part was mostly dry and I think this is due to the shape of the windscreen and how it direct air currents, water and also protects.

I hope that tomorrow will be sunny so I can test drive this windscreen for aproximately 600 kms and I'll get back to you with updates

1 - 9 of 9 Posts