BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start up my 2013 gtl and nothing. I keep this thing hooked up to my optimate 4 when it’s not on the road. There is a light click sound coming from the fairing every 7 seconds. I guess I’ll assume that the battery is dead? I hooked it up to my nocco boost and still nothing. No lights,no dash,just dead with the click sound. My first bike with the canbus. Is this how the battery dies on these things...just dead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mr.Fix It
7,222 Posts
Can't speak to "..how batteries die on these things". But I can tell you I've experienced one day bike fine, battery fully charged. Next day, battery dead and would not take a charge.

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stopped at a gas station today. Filled up. Went to start the bike and each press of the starter cranked the engine over one time. Got a jump start and made it home. Cleaned and tightened up the battery terminals and all seam to be fine. One was a little loose but I didn't have the tools at the gas station to tighten it up.
Could it be loosening and corrosion of the battery terminals over time that causes some issues?
I have had batteries that have completely died without notice but it is worth looking at the current path before deciding the battery is the problem!

·
Outta This World
1,920 Posts
Went to start up my 2013 gtl and nothing. I keep this thing hooked up to my optimate 4 when it’s not on the road. There is a light click sound coming from the fairing every 7 seconds. I guess I’ll assume that the battery is dead? I hooked it up to my nocco boost and still nothing. No lights,no dash,just dead with the click sound. My first bike with the canbus. Is this how the battery dies on these things...just dead?

How old is this battery?

Batteries die, it happens.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Take the battery out of the picture completely, then connect a fully charged NOCO booster pack to the Battery terminals I bet it starts.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
868 Posts
If the battery checks out, take a look at the fuses - being canbus, there aren't many - see your riders manual for position & values.

·
Upside Down
1,488 Posts
If you have a weak battery and a dead cell most times it will happen in the colder months, plus like us, everything has used by date so I would be checking on the age of the battery a good chance it will be an older one with a dead cell. Good luck I hope it is simple as that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My R1200RT was perfect one day riding along no issues. Pulled into the gas station and refilled. Went to restart it and the display barley lit up. Battery check at the local dealer showed 3 volts in the battery. They can go while riding and the alternator will provide enough until you shut it down. I could not even jump start mine at 3 volts and had to get a tow to the dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take the battery out of the picture completely, then connect a fully charged NOCO booster pack to the Battery terminals I bet it starts.
That’s what I ended up doing. I’d never used that noco before and o must have done something wrong with it. It fired right up. I bought the bike may of last year and the guy said it was a brand new battery (gel bmw) maybe he was wrong or it wasn’t a good battery. I’ve never seen a vehicle that dead. Lol. I keep it plugged into my optimate. I found a new battery at-battery and bulbs and picked up an odyssey pc680. I was able to go on my overnight trip through the hills of Kentucky and ride some gorgeous,autumn twisty roads with my group. I’ll be ordering a gs911 soon as a buddy of mine picked up a gs 1200.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
That's a sure fire way to determine the battery is shot. If the battery has an internal short, causing it's resistance to go way up, you can't jump the vehicle with the battery in the loop, it has to be completely removed from the circuit. These K 1600's throw a lot of heat on the battery, and that shortens it's life substantially. Also don't plug in the charger the minute you get off the bike, wait until the battery is no longer electrically excited, and let it's temp drop as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts